Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Long-Expected Wedding  by Fiondil

Chapter the Twenty-Fourth:

In Which Finrod Tells of His Dream and Some Go Shopping

Finrod opened his eyes to sunlight pouring into his bedroom window, blinking away sleep, wondering why they were even closed. He must have been more tired than he thought and he had had such strange dreams: battling Sauron over his wedding garb and setting it on fire. He smiled at that, wishing it were so, then shook his head against such fancies. He pulled back the bedclothes to rise and stopped midway in doing so when he realized he had a visitor who was sitting calmly in a chair in the corner of his room reading.

"Good morning," Lord Námo said brightly without bothering to look up from the page he was perusing.

"Ah.... um...."

"No doubt," Námo said congenially, finally looking up, his expression totally unreadable to the Elf. "Why don’t you get dressed. I will let the others know you are finally awake."

"Others?"

Námo closed the book and put it aside as he rose. "Don’t dawdle. Everyone is simply dying to hear all about your dream." Finrod felt the blood drain from his face while Námo gave him a knowing smile before leaving, calling out to Finrod’s body servants that their prince was ready for them.

****

A half an hour later, bathed and dressed, Finrod made his way to the family dining room. In spite of the lateness of the morning, for it was well past the time in which his family normally broke fast, he found the dining room bustling with activity and the sideboard still brimming with food. Apparently, everyone had slept late... or perhaps they had merely postponed breakfast until he was awake.

All motion stopped as he entered the room. He was surprised to see Lord Námo there, sitting between his Atar and Ingwë at the High Table, though he appeared to be the only one not eating. Besides the usual courtiers and guests, Finrod could see Mistress Cucualindë and what appeared to be most of her staff sitting at their own table and wondered at the expressions of dismay they all gave him. At another table were Lord Castamir and Lady Almáriel. The lady glared at him, which was nothing new, but Castamir actually gave him a wink, which surprised him.

He looked about for his gwedyr and was glad to see them all sitting together. Glorfindel and Ingwion gave him friendly smiles, and Ingalaurë even waved, which relieved some of his nervousness. Some, but not all. He had the distinct feeling he was in serious trouble, but he didn’t know why.

Eärwen finally broke the spell his arrival had caused by standing and going to him, giving him a brief hug and a kiss. "How are you feeling, Finda?" she asked quietly.

"Confused," he answered readily enough, then gave her a look of chagrin. "Did I do something bad?"

The very tone, so elflingish, seemed to affect people in various ways. He heard a few quickly suppressed giggles and not a few loud sighs and saw even one or two people rolling their eyes, but Eärwen just smiled at her first-born and gave him another hug. "Why don’t you get some breakfast and come sit with us?"

Finrod nodded and, trying not to blush and refusing to look at anyone, he went to the sideboard to fill his plate, though he really had no appetite. He made his way to the High Table where he sat beside his ammë and then just stared at his plate while everyone else continued eating, though he could feel eyes upon him from every direction.

"You shouldn’t let your food go cold, dear," Eärwen said.

"I’m not really hungry," Finrod replied softly, not looking up. "Just get it over with."

"What do you mean?" Arafinwë asked.

Finrod looked up, his expression bordering on anger. "I mean, whatever I did wrong, just tell me what my punishment is so I can get on with it. I’m supposed to be getting married in two days. I’d like to be done with whatever you have in mind for me before that."

There was absolute silence throughout the hall. Námo gave Arafinwë a wry look. "Reminds me of you when you were dumping cold water over Manwë."

Everyone had the rare pleasure of seeing the Noldóran blushing. "Not my finest hour," he muttered.

Námo shrugged. "Depends on one’s point of view. I was ready to stand up and cheer."

"Well, this is neither the time nor place," Arafinwë retorted, giving the Vala a meaningful look before turning his attention to Finrod. "Yonya, I have no intention of punishing you or anyone else for that matter. I’m still waiting for an explanation as to what happened last night."

"What happened last night?" Finrod asked, looking puzzled. "Did something happen while I was sleeping?"

"You don’t remember?" Glorfindel spoke up. "You don’t remember fighting me?"

"Fighting you? Why would I do that? Wait!" he shook his head as if to clear it then turned to Lord Námo. "You said something about everyone wanting to hear about my dream."

"It was quite spectacular from what I could tell, though my brother Irmo would be more cognizant of just what was going on."

"I don’t understand."

"Why don’t we begin with you telling us what you remember of your dream," Arafinwë suggested, "and then we’ll go from there."

Finrod suddenly felt a great reluctance to say anything and he found it difficult to breathe for some reason with the room slowly spinning as his vision went dark. There was a flurry of incandescent lights and then Lord Irmo was standing behind him, placing a hand on his head.

"Breathe slowly, child," the Vala commanded. "There’s no need to panic. Nothing is going to happen to you. Take a deep breath and let it out slowly. That’s it. And perhaps some water will help."

Finrod found a goblet being thrust into his hands and he drank its contents eagerly, feeling his world righting itself once again. Irmo bent down to look at him, giving him a warm smile. "It really was quite amusing and very inventive."

"So tell us your dream, already," Sador demanded impatiently. "I told you mine."

"But your dream didn’t end up setting the palace on fire," Glorfindel retorted.

"I set the palace on fire?" Finrod exclaimed, feeling faint once again.

"No, yonya. You did no such thing," Arafinwë assured him, giving Glorfindel a stern look. "Glorfindel is exaggerating. Now, please tell us what you remember of your dream as it has a bearing on what happened in reality."

Irmo patted Finrod on the shoulder and that simple gesture helped him to find his equilibrium. Without looking at anyone, and speaking softly, he began to describe his dream. "It’s one I’ve had numerous times before, but this time it did not follow its usual course." As he described the dream, there were gasps of shock and surprise from more than one throat and when he got to the part where Lady Almáriel turned into the werewolf, the said lady began screaming invectives at Finrod and had to be removed from their presence by order of Arafinwë. When order had been restored once again, Finrod continued describing the dream as he remembered it.

"And then there was this Song," he concluded, his expression one of wonder. "It was so beautiful and so heartbreaking, all I could do was weep, but after that I don’t remember anything else."

Silence reigned for a long moment as people digested Finrod’s tale. Finrod turned to Glorfindel. "So, all the time I thought I was battling Sauron, it was really you?"

"Yes, and I was hard put to keep up with you," Glorfindel admitted. "I’m not as proficient with Songs of Power as you are and it was all I could do to hold you at bay until Lord Námo came to the rescue. It was his Song you heard at the end."

"And... and the wedding garb?" Finrod asked faintly, staring down at his plate of untouched food, now gone cold.

"Burned to a crisp," Glorfindel said with a laugh. "Along with several others that were being worked on when you showed up in all your glory."

Finrod cringed and felt his ammë wrap a comforting arm around his shoulders. "That’s enough, dear," she gently admonished Glorfindel. "Your brother is feeling guilty enough, I’m sure, without you making him feel worse."

"Sorry," Glorfindel apologized meekly enough.

"So now we know why Findaráto went to the sewing room in search of Sauron," Námo said, rising from his chair. The Elves started to rise as well, but he gestured for them to remain where they were. "Vairë and her people have repaired the gowns and robes that were damaged and have set the Sewing Room to rights" — here he nodded to Mistress Cucualindë who returned it with a grateful smile — "but she has flat out refused to repair Findaráto’s wedding garb." He gave them a wicked smile. "She used language I wasn’t even aware that she knew."

No one knew quite how to take that so they all remained silent. Námo and Irmo exchanged amused glances. "Yes, well, I imagine you have much to do in the next couple of days," Námo then said, rather too cheerfully to everyone’s thinking. "No need to get up. We’ll see ourselves out." And with that he and Irmo simply faded from their presence.

Silence reigned once again for several minutes. Finrod just sat there wondering what could possibly go wrong next in his life. He was beginning to regret ever having agreed to a royal wedding. He should have just taken Amarië into his household from the beginning and forgotten about a stupid wedding. He felt, rather than saw, Glorfindel rise and come to stand behind him, leaning forward to wrap his arms around him and give him a hug.

"It’s going to be all right, hanno," he said softly. "No one but Almáriel liked that garb, so you did Eldamar a favor by destroying it."

"Lord Glorfindel is correct, your Highness."

Finrod looked up to see Castamir standing. "Amarië had a similar reaction to her own wedding gown, which is why she fled Vanyamar. I have no idea what possessed my wife to choose those particular colors when you should be wearing your house colors, as is only proper." He shook his head. "Well, I’d best go see if Almáriel has calmed down enough to be civil. Honestly, she was never like this before."

"I’m afraid I’m to blame for that," Finrod said with a rueful look. "She’s never quite forgiven me for deserting her daughter."

"Hmph. Well that may be as it may be, Highness." Castamir gave a bow towards the two kings and their queens. "By your leave, your Majesties."

Both Ingwë and Arafinwë nodded and Castamir made his way to the door.

"Castamir," Finrod called out, staying the ellon. "I’m marrying your daughter in two days. When are you going to start calling me by my name instead of addressing me as ‘your Highness’ all the time?"

Castamir gave him an amused grin, "About the same time as you start calling me ‘Atya’, I would imagine."

There were chuckles throughout the room as he gave them a bow and left. That seemed to be the signal for everyone else to leave as well, for most of the people breakfasting with the royal family would normally be at their work by now. When the room had emptied out, leaving just the royal family, Arafinwë spoke to his son. "As I said, I have no intention of punishing anyone for anything. I am hoping that we won’t have any more upsets between now and Valanya. I would like Tirion to still be standing after you and Amarië are wed."

"What are you going to wear to the wedding though?" Ingalaurë asked. "You could borrow my clothes. I can find something else to wear."

"Thank you for the offer," Finrod replied, giving the Vanya a genuine smile, "but I’m sure I can come up with something appropriate." He leaned back in his chair, sighing. Glorfindel, still standing behind him, gave him another hug and a kiss on the top of his head.

"We just have to keep you out of trouble for two more days," he said. "I’m sure we can manage that."

"Olwë is expected to arrive around noon," Arafinwë said.

"Which means Beleg will be with him," Glorfindel said, giving Finrod’s shoulder a squeeze.

"Along with Laurendil and his family and Eärnur, and your brothers," Ingwion said, looking at Olwen who sat next to him. "We should reserve a private parlor at one of the inns and have a welcoming party for everyone, take our minds off the wedding for a few hours."

"That sounds like a good idea," Sador said, giving them a sly grin. "We can gather at the Rose and Lily," naming the tavern where Ingalaurë and Intarion had had their ill-fated meeting with four gossiping Noldor.

Several people groaned and Finrod gave a snort of amusement. "I don’t think the innkeeper would appreciate us all showing up."

"Well, you’ll have to postpone the get-together anyway," Arafinwë said. "As soon as Olwë gets here, we need to discuss my brother and nephews. Which means, that as Cáno, you’ll need to be in on the discussion, Sador, and Glorfindel as well, since Eärendil isn’t here yet."

"You’ll be introducing them to the All-Aman Council after the wedding, though," Finrod said with a frown. "What really is to discuss?"

"Why don’t we wait for Olwë and worry about it then?" Arafinwë said. "In the meantime, I’ve sent a note to Herendil to bring them to the city today rather than tomorrow. I want certain things settled before Anairë comes."

"As much as I would like to see my son and grandsons, I think it best that we don’t renew our acquaintance with them all at once," Indis said. "Perhaps we ladies can wait until Anairë comes and then we will handle that reunion ourselves. You ellyn are bound to mess it up."

Arafinwë turned to Ingwë with a smile. "She hasn’t changed, has she?"

"Not that I can tell," Ingwë retorted with a laugh while Indis gave them both an arch look.

"Well, Olwë and his party won’t be here for another couple of hours," Ingwion said briskly, deciding to divert everyone’s attention. "So why don’t we remove ourselves to the gardens and wait for their arrival."

Everyone agreed and those who did not have business to attend to otherwise went out to the gardens where they spent the time quietly entertaining themselves. And no one discussed anything having to do with the wedding.

****

With Olwë and the Teleri came Laurendil and Manwen with their first-born, Irmondil, now nearly eleven. They had been visiting with Eärnur and his family for the last couple of months. With the Teleri were several people from Tol Eressëa, including Gilvagor and Haldir, who was accompanied by his wife, Gwilwileth, and their infant son, Finglor. Beleg was also there and immediately went to the other Reborn to give them his greetings. While people were still milling about, greeting friends and discussing their journey, Arafinwë asked Olwë, Lindarion, Laurendil, Eärnur and Gilvagor to join him and Ingwë in the Noldóran’s study once they had freshened up.

"There is something that you must know," he told them but refused to say anything more, so they agreed to meet in half an hour’s time.

With Finrod, Glorfindel, Sador and Ingwion also at the meeting, the study was a bit crowded but no one minded.

"So what is this all about?" Olwë asked once they were all together.

"The Valar have... um.... given Findaráto an early wedding present," Arafinwë replied, "in the form of my brother, Nolofinwë, and two of his sons."

Several people gasped in surprise at that revelation, though Laurendil and Eärnur simply nodded.

"Excuse me?" Olwë said in disbelief, glancing at his grandson. "Now? Why now?"

"That was my question," Finrod replied with a sour grin. "Naturally, Lord Irmo wasn’t very forthcoming with an explanation, simply saying that they were due to be released at this time regardless of what else was going on in our lives."

"At any rate," Ingwë said, "we felt you needed to know before we spring them on the rest of Eldamar."

""Eärnur and I have known about their release for some time, having worked with them," Laurendil said, casting an apologetic look towards Finrod. "We were told to keep their presence a secret, aranya. Sorry."

"I lay no blame on you or Eärnur, Laurendil," Finrod said.

"So why am I here?" Gilvagor asked.

"You are a respected member of the Tol Eressëan Council and I believe you were Findecáno’s liegeman," Arafinwë answered and the ellon, who was looking somewhat pale, nodded. "As for you two," the Noldóran addressed Laurendil and Eärnur, "I hate to do this to you, but I think I need to recruit you to keep an eye on my brother and nephews during the next several days. Things are going to be hectic enough with the wedding, but then there is the All-Aman Council meeting to get through and we’ll be officially introducing them to everyone at that time."

"And being newly released, they are going to be overwhelmed by all the activity around them," Eärnur said with a nod. "More so than usual with the wedding and all."

"So where are they now?" Olwë asked.

"Presently staying with Lord Herencáno’s family," Arafinwë replied. "We felt it better all around if they were simply considered part of his household for now. Herendil, in fact, is hosting them and I asked him to bring them here at this time."

"Is that wise?" Olwë asked. "People are bound to recognize them."

"It is less a hazard than all of us trooping over to Herencáno’s townhouse to visit," Arafinwë said with a shrug. "I instructed Herendil to disguise them as guards. No one looks at guards any more than they look at other servants."

They all nodded, recognizing that particular truism. "At any rate, we thought it best to prepare you ahead of time before seeing them," Arafinwë continued. "They are presently waiting for us in the green audience chamber. Shall we go?"

They all nodded and followed Arafinwë out. "Do you think it wise for all of us to show up at once, though?" Laurendil asked as they were making their way down the corridor. "These are Reborn and they’re going to be very nervous without having to deal with all of us at the same time."

"We’ll take it slowly," Arafinwë assured him. "I’ll send Findaráto, Glorfindel and Sador in first since they were the ones who brought them back from Lórien. Then I think Ingwë and Olwë and their heirs should be introduced next and we’ll fit the rest of you in as we can." Everyone chuckled at that.

When they reached the green audience chamber, Finrod, Glorfindel and Sador went in with Arafinwë, while the others waited outside.

"Oh, there you are," they heard Nolofinwë say with some exasperation as they entered. "I was wondering if you’d forgotten us."

Arafinwë went to his brother and gave him a fierce hug. "Never, but I had some business to attend to first. Now, how are you three doing? Any problems?" This last was directed at Herendil, who shook his head.

"None to speak of," he replied with a smile. "Vondo and Vorondil have kept them amused and Aldundil has kept them in line."

"There are some people we would like you to meet," Arafinwë said.

"Anairë?" Nolofinwë asked, looking a little pale.

"No, not yet. You won’t meet her until tomorrow evening, but there are others who wish to greet you. Is that all right with you? If you don’t feel you can do this, that is fine. I don’t want you to feel uncomfortable. If things get overwhelming for any of you, you are to let us know immediately."

Nolofinwë exchanged glances at Findecáno and Aracáno and then gave Arafinwë a nod. The Noldóran smiled and gestured for Sador to call in the other two kings, who entered with Ingwion and Lindarion trailing them.

"Do you remember Ingwë and Olwë?" Arafinwë asked. "And here are Ingwion and Lindarion."

Findecáno and Aracano both had puzzled expressions on their faces, and Aracáno shook his head. Nolofinwë, though, was staring at Ingwion. "There should be two of you," he said.

Ingwion raised an eyebrow at that and nodded. "That’s right. My twin brother, Ingalaurë. He’s here, but he is with our cousin Intarion at the moment. You’ll see them later."

Nolofinwë nodded then turned to Ingwë, giving him a shy look. "I’m sorry. I didn’t do very well, did I?"

Ingwë took him into his embrace and kissed him. "From what I’ve heard, you did well enough. You got your people to Beleriand and you protected them as best you could. That is all that matters."

"I was a fool," Nolofinwë said with a shake of his head. "Oath or no oath, I should never have left."

"But you did," Olwë said, "and all else flows from that. I wish you had not left either, child, but the important thing is that you, all of you, have returned."

"Except Turucáno and my sister and others," Findecáno said. "Lord Námo said it wasn’t time yet."

"And Lord Námo knows of what he speaks," Arafinwë said. "That you are here is a joy and a wonder for us, for we did not look to see you released so soon."

"But we died before Findaráto," Aracáno said with a frown. "How is it he was released before us?"

"I have no answer for you, Nephew," Arafinwë said. "I only know that the decision for who is reborn when is a joint one between Lords Námo and Manwë in consultation with Ilúvatar, who has the final say. I think Findaráto was released when he was because he was needed at a particular time."

"At any rate, how are you three faring?" Finrod asked.

"Well enough, I suppose," Nolofinwë admitted. "Herendil and his family have been very solicitous of our needs and have told us much of what has happened during our... um... absence. I noticed they filled in certain details of history that those of Lórien failed to mention." He gave them a knowing look.

"On purpose," Finrod said with a smile. "I know, it’s frustrating and I found it equally frustrating, but I understand the reason for it better now. Some things it is best for family to explain rather than strangers."

"So what now?" Findecáno asked. "What happens to us now? Atto and I were kings, but that’s not what we are now. Now we’re just.... hangers-on, I guess, just like before."

"I think for the moment we should take things slowly," Arafinwë replied. "Let us get past the next week. Between Findaráto getting married and the All-Aman Council convening afterwards, there is too much to do."

"We don’t want to be a bother," Nolofinwë said.

"You are not a bother," Arafinwë insisted. "In fact, you three could be very helpful to me."

"How?"

"Findaráto is haryon, but he is rarely here, for he has other duties and resides mostly in Lórien, so I don’t have his help as often as I would wish. If you are amenable to the idea, I would appreciate you acting as my assistants once Findaráto returns to Lórien."

"All three of us?" Nolofinwë asked, looking doubtful.

"All three of you," Arafinwë assured them. "You little know how much I value having you here. You and Findecáno have administrative experience in running a kingdom and I assure you that even if you have little memory of it now, working with me will help regain those memories sooner. And Aracáno, as I recall from before, had an excellent grasp of the nuances of our laws and customs. You would all be an asset to me."

Aracáno gave his uncle a pleased look and Findecáno straightened his shoulders while Nolofinwë merely nodded. "Then, we would be glad to help in whatever manner you see fit."

"Good. For now, though, I suggest you just relax and enjoy yourselves. Have you had a chance to find wedding gifts, yet?" He gave them a sly smile.

All three Reborn shook their heads, giving them shy looks.

"Well, I have some other people I would like you to meet who can take you to the markets. Would you like that?"

They nodded and Arafinwë bade Laurendil, Eärnur and Gilvagor to enter. The Reborn brightened at the sight of the two Lóriennildi. Gilvagor was merely introduced as a member of the Tol Eressëan High Council who had lived in Beleriand, for Findecáno did not seem to recognize him and that was not surprising, for Gilvagor had not been a lord of the land and had not been high in the councils of the Noldor-in-Exile.

"So do we have to play at being guards still?" Nolofinwë asked. "It would seem rather odd for mere guards to be buying wedding gifts for their prince."

"But I like playing being a guard," Aracáno protested. "Can’t we be guards for a little while longer?"

"Sador’s begetting day is fast approaching," Gilvagor said.

"Please, don’t remind me," Sador retorted with some feeling and everyone else chuckled.

"Yes, well, as it happens, I need to find a gift for him, so why don’t we pretend we’re buying gifts for Sador and Laurendil, you can pretend to be buying a gift for your wife and we, being hopeless ellyn will naturally ask the opinions of other ellyn as to the appropriateness of the gifts." He gave the three Reborn a knowing look.

"Oh, and that’s when I say, ‘No, my lord, I think that is a better gift’ and point to something I like," Findecáno said with a laugh, having gotten Gilvagor’s meaning.

"Exactly," Gilvagor replied with a smile.

"Well, if you’re going shopping, I’ll go with you," Glorfindel said. "In all the excitement of late, I’d forgotten about Sador’s begetting day."

"I’ll come too, and we can bring Ingalaurë and Intarion as well," Ingwion said. "I don’t really like to have them out of my sight for very long and this will take their minds off getting into mischief."

"If it’s all the same with you, though, I would prefer not to go," Eärnur said. "I think I’d better stay here and keep an eye on Beleg. He’s been acting strangely lately and I’m not sure why. I think he’s remembering things but refuses to tell me about them."

"I had noticed that," Olwë said, "but certainly I or my sons can handle him if something triggers an adverse reaction."

"No, Eärnur is correct," Laurendil said. "I’ve noticed Beleg withdrawing from everyone lately and I think an experienced Lóriennildo should be on hand. There’s no telling what may happen when he’s in this mood."

Olwë nodded. "Perhaps you are correct."

"Then it’s settled," Arafinwë said briskly. "Go and have fun. And it’s just as well that you are planning to shop for gifts for Sador, because I need him here and Findaráto also."

"Bother!" Sador said with a scowl. "And I was looking forward to shopping for my own begetting day gift."

They all laughed and in a few minutes, Ingwion went to find his brother and Intarion and soon those who were going into the city were on their way. As they saw everyone off with Nolofinwë, Findecáno and Aracáno happily playing guards, Finrod turned to his atar with a resigned look. "How much do you want to bet that before the day is over we’ll be regretting letting that lot loose on Tirion?"

Arafinwë chuckled and Ingwë rolled his eyes while Olwë said with great feeling, "I’m so glad I was able to convince Beleg not to go with them. Thank the Valar Eärnur suggested to Falmaron that he have Beleg and Vondo help him plot their next voyage to the south."

"And intimating that perhaps Vorondil might be able to go with them, so he doesn’t mind staying behind with his uncle and Beleg," Finrod said with a smile.

"Do you object?" Olwë asked.

"No, I do not, but Aldundil might unless we can convince him to go with them."

"Well, we’ll worry about that later," Arafinwë said. "In the meantime, let us go see what the queens are up to and then we need to discuss certain matters." Everyone agreed and went back inside, but Finrod, looking back to where he could see the others just leaving the square, couldn’t shake the feeling that something bad was going to happen.

****

Atya: (Quenya): My father, the form of address, according to Tolkien, that was in ‘family use’; contracted from atarinya.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List