Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Creation Song of Ilúvatar  by Fadesintothewest

Creation Song of Ilúvatar

 

-------------------------------

A/N:  Short chapter, but I thought this snippet remained best as a stand alone chapter as the theme of it is a little bit less jovial than what is coming up!  Btw I was listening to Coldplay while writing this, me thinks it had an impact.

------------------------------

 

Chapter 23:  Greenleaf’s Hope

 

As Legolas heard Glorfindel’s searing tribute to him, the blood began to rise, but something in him caused him to quiet his heart as he heard his father laugh jovially, as if he carried no cares, and Legolas felt a surge of happiness tinged by sorrow, in the manner of the immortal. 

 

Thranduil had lost too much, and he fought daily to maintain his peoples in a semblance of safety that allowed for there to be joy.  Shadow tried to snake its way into his realm but Thranduil and his children came together to defend that which they held most dear, as did all of the Elves of Mirkwood, Greenwood the Great. 

 

Legolas heard Glorfindel’s words and laughed quietly to himself, he did deserve this did he not?  He looked into many of the Elves delighted faces trying to enjoy the moment, but inside he felt a wavering of sorrow begin to slowly gain strength.

 

Legolas thought to himself, “Tis good to see you so carefree Adar.  I will give my life if need be for these moments, for these moments we all share together.”

 

Legolas looked over towards his brother and sister, studying their bright countenances, allowing their joyful glow to reach him.  He looked over and saw Lotórie talking excitedly to Elladan and Elrohir.  What was she up to Legolas pondered?  He could tell there was a devilish spark in her eyes.  Nothing good, he concluded.

 

Legolas’ voice whispered to the night skies, “Let no one think these moments come easy and are not paid for with blood, but ‘tis worth every drop, even if I have to bleed myself slowly to ensure such beauty, such life.  Ai Elbereth, starkindler, your silver lights bring solace to my troubled soul.”

 

Legolas suddenly felt lighthearted and he looked up towards the stars in the West and bowed his head slightly, and although all of Mirkwood was glancing towards their Prince to gage his reaction to Glorfindel’s tribute, Legolas simply smiled, joy emanating from his very essence.  In this moment, Legolas was not the attractive Elf maidens fancied for his physical beauty.  He transcended that.  In this moment he was beautiful, like a vision from the other side, from the West, pure of heart, and full of life, the last hope of the Eldar.

 

But as Thranduil gazed upon his son he recognized the burden of his joy and he let his thoughts wonder unbidden into his son’s, “We are here together, ion nín[my son], we share the same sorrows, the same joys, and I pleasure in your life, your beauty.  Let not this world or any other taint your brilliance.  But beware son for I have a fear in my heart that you will endure in this middle earth much more than your heart can bear.  Promise me you will look after yourself.”

 

Legolas answered his father in kind, divulging his inner most thoughts, “What is a life where there is no love, no one to hold, to care about, what is such a world where Shadow threatens to consume all that was once beautiful.  I will not abandon these lands to that, not while my heart still craves the songs of the trees, the caress of these winds upon my cheeks.  One day I will cross the seas and follow my fate and fade into the West, but I will do it only of my own volition, with a heart full of love and grand memories to last me until the end of Arda.  Fear not Adar, my heart will only gain, not loose.”

 

“My energies, my passions are devoted to this endeavor, to maintain all that is beautiful all that shall shine forth in a new dawn even if only for the eyes of the second born.  I will leave behind many trees and animals who shall eternally remain friends, and I will leave behind a piece of me in this place, ennor [middle earth].  This I do not doubt, but my heart will never be sundered from middle earth, never.”

 

Thranduil sighed, “‘Tis the second born of Ilúvatar I fear.  It is a strange fate we share with mortal men in these lands.  They have granted us short joys but they have also given us long-lived pain, Legolas.

 

Legolas eyes looked towards his father with compassion and understanding, “Naneth loved the Edain for the newness and awe in life they saw.  She understood that the Eldar could gain more from these brothers, the Second People.  Father, I know in her love for mortal kind our Nyére met her end,” Legolas had tears running down his cheeks, as he broached a subject not visited upon by anyone in Thranduil’s family. “Even though Isildur’s weakness condemned us to an uncertain future, she remained ever hopeful that in the second born there *was* born hope.  She taught me to love all creatures of light who walk on these lands, to respect all that is different, all this she said was a gift.  ‘Tis this gift of love that drives me on.”

 

Thranduil walked over to his son, placing a loved-filled kiss on his forehead, and held him in a tight embrace.  His thoughts now closed to his son, Thranduil reflected privately, “My heart fears son that I may loose you, loose you to the stories that bind mortal men on this land, but in your heart is her hope and I must cling to that, I must hold to her love, to all our love.”

 

Thranduil looked over his son once more and smiling bitter sweetly took his leave to return to his people.

 

Legolas felt Thranduil’s pain as his father embraced him. He respected his father’s wishes to keep his thoughts private and did not pry, but Legolas clung to the feelings of hope that remained in his father.  To this Legolas would always hold- to hope.

 

Glorfindel who had witnessed the moment between father and son, found his way to Legolas who seemed to need words of encouragement.  “You carry a weary weight upon your shoulders Greenleaf, and it is one I do not discourage.  The Eldar, we are fading, like the mists in the morning, but many of us still have hope, and that you know can never be lost.  Hold to that Thranduilion, hold to hope- in hope there is love, there is passion, there is beauty, there is life, hold to that and your heart shall never feel empty.”

 

Legolas answered, his voice a mere whisper, “Your words comfort me for I know your path has tread scenes from our ages that will remain triumphs of hope, triumphs of good.  Glorfindel, I may jest, but you besides my father, I hold in the highest esteem.” Legolas clasped Glorfindel’s arm in the way of Elven warriors, Glorfindel reciprocating the embrace, acknowledging the younger Elves words. 

 

Glorfindel’s mouth grew into a sly smile, “But do tell what you thought of my homage to you young Prince.”

 

Legolas’ face contorted into a look of amused disgust, “I suppose I deserved that colorful song,” and soon the two golden-haired Elves were laughing in shared amusement at each other’s tributes to one another, but more importantly they shared a hope.

 

*~*~*

 

To my wonderful reviewers:

 

Daw the Minstrel:  Legolas does need to pay attention, doesn’t he?  For being an elf he sure misses a lot of folks around him.  I think what Glorfindel wants to show you will make you faint, truly I do, he’s rather proud of it in a manish and by no means boyish way! ;-)

 

Fan81981:  Your words to update quickly lit a fire under my bum!  Wow thanks for the complement.  I do rather enjoy the Elves that magically seem to write themselves on these pages.  And they beg to be written in more adult situations but I remind them this is a PG-13 story, to which they grumble.

 

Simply Sara:  I am glad that you are enjoying my story, a self-proclaimed Mary Sue, and I thank you very much for your words of encouragement, hearing someone say your writing is good is a great motivator to update quickly.  Thanks! J

Hanya the Bloody Angel:  So you are falling in love with Glorfindel?  That is a good thing me thinks.  So our Orli is only it for a brief moment- oh too bad!  Thanks for the encouragement on the prose.  I hope you read this review as I didn’t reciev a notice initially so I edited this in.

 

Nilmandra:  Elladan and Elrohir are coming up real soon, I just thought this snippet stood best alone.  No need to mix angst with plain ole’ goofiness.  Er- Glorfindel if you are reading this, I do have some *material* that I would like for you to peruse if you have the time, say my house ? ;-)

 

Mellon: Glorfindel is happy you liked the song he sang, as am I!  Stay tuned for more madness and of course, lots of love!

 

Coriandra:  Yes quite embarrassing, but I think Legolas took it in stride, afterall he was really knocking Glorfindel down.  Ai I know, poor Elladan and Elrohir, suckers for cute little elflings, but I fear that their rush to help may get them in some trouble, not too much!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List