Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Creation Song of Ilúvatar  by Fadesintothewest

Creation Song of Ilúvatar

Chapter 24:  The Set Up

Elladan and Elrohir cautiously approached Glorfindel.

Elrohir cleared his throat, “Eh-hem, so what did you discuss with Legolas Glorfindel?”

Glorfindel raised an eyebrow towards Elrohir and said nothing.

Elladan decided to get to the heart of the matter, “Elrohir and I have done nothing out of the ordinary.  We have acted as we have always had for centuries.  Never have we meant to cause Adar any alarm.  We may sometimes be light of heart, but you Glorfindel know too well what drives us as we scour these lands.”

The quiet ferocity in Elladan’s voice surprised Glorfindel, and somewhat appeased by the moment he had witnessed between Legolas and Thranduil, Glorfindel decided he needed to tread lightly with the twins.  “You two needed to be put in your place after what I arrived to find. One in mock homage to me and the other rolling on the ground like a drunkard,” Glorfindel added, his voice betraying not emotion.

Elrohir murmured, “And for this we apologize.”

Elladan pressed, “We do whole heartedly apologize, but I maintain we have acted in no way contrary to Adar’s wishes!”

Glorfindel chuckled, “Right you are Elladan, right you are.”

The twins looked at each other, sharing confused shrugs, then they turned their attention back towards Glorfindel.

“Your Father insisted a messenger find you two on your travels as your brother Estel is home for a short time from his errantries and wished to let you know as you two have not seen him since he left a decade ago.”

Elladan and Elrohir’s faces lit up with the message that their foster brother was in Imladris for a short time.

Glorfindel continued, “I insisted on finding the likes of you two myself as I sometimes need a pleasant outing myself, and was pleased to track you two here, to Thranduil’s halls.  I have been meaning to visit the stubborn Elf for ages it seems, but had not come around to it.”  Silently, Glorfindel acknowledged that his visit tread other more serious matters, concerning the safety of the Elven Kingdoms.

Glorfindel saw the scowls that formed on the twins’ faces but he waved them away, “You two deserve much worse from me, after all, but we shall have peace-- for now.”

The predatory snarl that Glorfindel graced the twins with caused them to sober quickly.  They knew that once they were again in Imladris, Glorfindel’s retribution would be swift and unwelcome.

Rainiel approached the twins following their conversation with Glorfindel, “How fare our guests?”

“Better than a moment ago,” Elrohir sighed, clearly relieved.

“That is good,” Rainiel answered without gusto.  Her face became bright and she looked towards the twins, “Would you two be game for a contest of archery skill?”

Elladan smirked, “Why I never thought you would ask.”

“I have been waiting to test my skills of late with your Woodland kin,” Elrohir added.

“Then I shall suggest it,” Rainiel responded excitedly, and she walked off hurriedly in direction of the King.

In the meantime, a number of bows and quivers had been collected and deposited somewhere in the near forest, in the direction Elladan and Elrohir had gone to search for the supposed lost cat.

In Mirkwood, Wood Elves were never parted from their bow and arrow, even during feasts.  If one looks closely during one of these feasts it is easy to spot said set within his or her owner’s grasp, but on this eve, four Elves of Thranduil’s Royal House, no less, had been relieved of their bows and quivers full of arrows.  The stranger being that not one of the highly regarded warriors had noticed their missing friends.

During the searing tribute to Glorfindel, a stealth group of Elven hands had carried away the honourable bows and quivers, as the Elves had been too easily distracted by their follies.  But this play acting had to end, and upon its conclusion, sweet Elven voices purred and acted merry, making sure said Mirkwood four would remain in blissful ignorance.

Istawen glanced at Rainiel, giving her an affirmative nod, and Rainiel, seeing her moment approach cleared her throat, gathering the attention of those around her.  “As we are honoured with such fine and notable guests, I must beg that these festivities be graced with a competition of sorts!”

Thranduil looked at his daughter and laughed inwardly.  Her voice was too sweet and her smile too conniving.  Something, the Woodland King decided, was amiss.

The Silvan Elves shouted their approval, eliciting questions concerning the competition, “And what sort of competition dost thou have in mind,” Thranduil asked his eldest.

“Adar, by your leave, I would suggest an archery competition.  We are, after all in Mirkwood, home of the *finest* archers in all of Middle Earth.  Let us put our skill to the test and see how we fare against Imladris’ best?  Elrond’s sons have been waiting for such a challenge.”

“A fine idea,” Thranduil replied, “What say you my fair folk? Shall we hold such a war of skill?”

Elves all around cheered! Quickly different targets were chosen, and practice targets brought out and set up amidst the trees.

Legolas snorted, “Is this a fair contest?  Those gathered in this fair feast know most certainly well, who is to be victorious in such a match!”  Although for once, Legolas was not referring to himself and referred to the superior skill of Wood Elves in general, some around him took his demeanor as entirely self-centered.

Elladan cried out, “ ’Tis a fair match indeed, young Prince, and I would not be quick to utter victory if I were you.”

Glorfindel laughed smugly, “I too would be honoured to enter my skill in such games!”

Rainiel quickly took reign of the verbal sparring, “From Imladris then we will have Elladan, Elrohir and Glorfindel.  From our fair woodland realm we shall have Legolas, Laurenor, and Aní.”

Erutunín’s mouth dropped to argue his absence, but Rainiel quickly quieted him, “And although my dear husband is virtuous with a  bow and arrow, I would think this be a matter for those who cling more closely to Silvan charms.”

It was Laurenor’s turn to add to the melee of voices, his voice fraught with devilish intent, “Spoken well sister, for who knows what treachery may still lie in your Noldo husband’s heart.”

Erutunín’s face turned a bright red, and he was about to exchange a choice set of words with his marriage-brother, but Thranduil’s laugh cut him off.  Aní snickered silently, not daring incur the wrath of his Adar.  Although the son of a Noldo himself, Aní felt nothing but Silvan, and he took an immense pride in such attributes.

Rainiel then glanced at her husband apologetically and gave him a pleading look.  Erutunín was undone by her pouting, and bowed slightly towards her, raising his arms in a show of retreat.

Thranduil announced, “Let it begin!”

Elladan, Elrohir and Glorfindel retrieved their bows and quivers, letting nimble fingers quickly strap the implements of choice in place.

Legolas, Aní, and Laurenor went to retrieve their bows and quivers, but to their dismay they were not to be found.  Their brows furrowed in concern as their search became frantic.  All those around them began to take notice of the search for the missing weapons.  This did not bode well.

Elladan could not hold his tongue, “Are my eyes deceiving me, or do I really have before me a group of Wood Elves who have lost their bow and arrow?”

Legolas looked up from his search, and threw Elladan a murderous look.

Elrohir also had to seize on the opportunity, “It seems we do have a group of misbegotten Wood Elves in front of us.  Do you not agree Lord Glorfindel.”

But Glorfindel was not easily pushed to such light banter.  Something was not quite right.  He knew too well of the Silvan tenacity with bow and arrow, and he understood that Thranduil’s sons would be the most voracious in upholding the etiquette that concerned the bow and arrow.

Elladan and Elrohir meanwhile were caught up in a barrage of snorts as they looked upon the three Elves who were now frantic in their search.

Legolas straightened suddenly, “You!” he pointed towards the twins, “You two have some hand in this!”

Elladan scoffed at the idea, “We most certainly do not.  Our hands are clean.”

Laurenor was now also looking at the twins with accusatory eyes, “I too would not put it passed them.  Better to embarrass us this way than embarrass themselves in a show of skill.”

“I would wager that you three are so full of fear in matching our skill you simply feign loss of your bows and arrows for everyone knows that a Wood Elf never looses sight of his weapon of choice,” Elrohir retorted, his voice calm but steely.

From the whirlwind of voices,  a small voice spoke up, “Ai, ai!  I believe I unwittingly led my kin afoul!”

All turned and looked towards the speaker of such daunting words, little Lotórie.

Legolas prodded, “What do you mean little one?”

“Elladan and Elrohir asked me if I could show them my favorite hiding place.  Oh and I was so happy to show them.  You know how I love the twins!”

“Show us where you took them,” Laurenor cried out.

Lotórie then trotted off in the direction she had taken the twins on and pointed down the path, “That way!”

Legolas knelt down and surveyed the forest floor, “Ai, I have found their tracks!”

And sure enough there were three tracks, two sets of identical tracks, and one of a little elfling.

Elrohir cried out, the bandages falling quickly from his eyes, “We have done nothing!”

Aní glared at them, “We shall see!” He and the other Elves ran down the path, following the tracks, and finally came to a slight opening in the trees.  There strung between two trees was a set of three bows and their respective quivers, dangling precariously in the light wind.

Legolas, Laurenor, and Aní turned and looked towards the accused Elves.

Elladan was going to shout out his innocence, but was cut short by Elrohir who muttered, “ ‘Tis no use.  We have been set up.”

They glanced at Lotórie’s whose eyes were round with excitement, and she looked at them, sparing them a slight smile that no one saw as everyone’s eyes were focused on the twins.

“What say you now,” Legolas announced sarcastically.

Elrohir spoke quietly, “It would appear we are at fault, and all I will say on this matter is that we did not have a hand in this trick.”

Laurenor approached Elrohir briskly, “Do you imply my daughter is lying?”

Elladan piped in, “We did walk with Lotórie in this direction, and although all evidence points to us, we continue to maintain that we had no hand in this folly.  Someone must have sought to take advantage of the situation.”

Elrohir looked imploringly at Lotórie, but soon enough she was whisked away by her mother.  In but a few moments, the young Elf was sent off to bed with an appointed caretaker.

Istawen added, “My poor daughter is so shaken by the situation I found it best to send her off to bed.” She then looked sadly in the direction towards the twins, “How could you manipulate my little one into helping you in such trickery?”

Elladan and Elrohir’s mouths fell open in shock.  Certainly, Istawen who had personally thanked them for their help on the search for the cat, whom they had found in the clearing earlier was not trying to make others think they were the ones responsible…

Oh but she was.

Elladan glared at Istawen, and decided he was not going to be maneuvered into accepting culpability for this act.  “Alas, my brother and I have fallen victim to the ageless sorcery of the fairer sex.  I believe you will find fault not in us, but in those who dare to openly implicate us through fair and feminine smiles.”

Glorfindel meanwhile noticed the exchange and quickly deduced that the twins had in fact been set up, and by Thranduil’s daughters no less.  He leaned closely to Thranduil who stood next to him and whispered, “I am reminded why I am enamored of Wood Elf maidens- their cunning is at once astute as it is obvious.”

Thranduil chuckled, “Ai, Glorfindel, if these fools took but a second to wrap their minds about the situation, they would quickly find the true culprits.  One of which has smartly chosen to excuse herself to bed.”

Glorfindel replied, “It is always said that Wood Elves begin their lessons in cunning at quite a young age.  Your House, King, is well managed and versed in this art, down to the youngest member.”

Thranduil bowed his head in acknowledgement to Glorfindel and the two Elf lords shared knowing grins.

“Adar,” Legolas cried out, “you find our situation amusing?”

Thranduil replied smoothly, “Why yes I do.”

Legolas did not expect Thranduil’s reply, and he shot him a look that would have rendered the Shadow of the East paralyzed in fear, but Thranduil was Lord of the deadly gazes and not impressed by his son. (1)

Laurenor cried out, “But Adar, surely you must find this situation disturbing!”

“Disturbing, yes, and amusing, definitely,” Thranduil retorted.  “But what is most pressing at this moment is the fact that the three of you, leaders in arms of Mirkwood, lost awareness of your weapons.  This lapse in concentration is more to blame than any one person or persons.  If you three, Laurenor, Aní and Legolas, had been doing what is asked of you, this would have never happened,” Thranduil gestured up towards the trees where the four sets of bows and quivers were hung.  “And it appears to me, that a marriage-son of mine has suffered the same fate.”

As Thranduil’s words found the crowd Erutunín’s face went pale.  His bow and quiver seemed to be cajoling him from where they hung.  Erutunín turned to face his wife, “You knew my bow and quiver would be up there.  For this reason you did not wish me to participate.  I appreciate your attempts to avert any embarrassment that would befall me because of such a lapse, but my fair wife, how did you know my bow and quiver were up there?”

Glorfindel found his moment to add his thoughts, “Thranduiliell [daughter of Thranduil], your husband asks a most interesting question.” (2)

All eyes were focused on the beautiful Rainiel, who was not easily shaken.  “Lord Glorfindel, since you insist, I did see the alleged act take place.  I saw as the culprits stealthily took the weapons that hang before us and headed off in this direction of the woods.  I did not say anything because I figured it was a harmless joke that served a purpose as well.”

Rainiel turned to her brothers and son, “That we need to maintain our alertness even amidst a feast.”

Erutunín interrupted his wife, “But what of me?”

“’T was a selfish act on my behalf.  I did not want my husband ridiculed in front of my Adar and guests.”

Erutunín eyes his wife suspiciously.  Rainiel was never one to protect her husband’s feelings from anyone.  In fact her words led him to believe that his wife did indeed have more to do with the incident than what her carefully chosen words were portraying.

Elrohir implored his once lover, “So if you saw who took the weapons you surely saw that it was not my brother and I!  Please help us, help me.”

Rainiel covered her mouth in surprise, “But Elrohir, I never said it was not you two I spied.”

Elrohir’s face froze, and Elladan snorted, understanding quite well who it was that had set them up.  Elladan whispered for only his brother’s ears, “If you had been the lover you claim to have been, to be, Rainiel would not now be delighting in devouring us.”

Elrohir pushed his brother away and spoke up in their defense, “We still hold to our word that we did not take these weapons.”

Legolas laughed, “My own sister saw you two take the weapons.  You have been caught.  The jest is completed.  I say now we bludgeon you in a matching of skills which you so sneakily have tried to avoid.”

Glorfindel was now beside himself in amusement.  Thranduil again whispered in the golden-haired Lord’s ear, “But then again, Rainiel never did say that it was *in fact* Elladan and Elrohir who took the bows and quivers.”

Glorfindel sighed, “You have a mighty strategist and diplomat on your hands Thranduil.  I am sure her skills are an asset to your Kingdom.”

“Indeed they are my friend, indeed they are.”

~*~*~*~*~*

(1)  The name given to one of the leader of the three Nazgûl, Khamûl who abode in Dol Guldur according to a version from  “Of the Journey of the Black Riders according to the account that Gandalf gave Frodo,” in Unfinished Tales.

(2) I assumed that the male of Thranduilion, son of Thranduil, would hold the same for daughters, thus Thranduiliell, iell meaning daughter.

To my lovely reviewers:

Daw the Minstrel- Ada/ion moments are my favorite, especially when Thranduil is a part of it.  OMG you are the first one that got it.  *Does an elaborate happy dance*  I had originally toyed with the idea of making her a Sioux, but I know nothing of the Sioux so I gave her a different background- Touchdown- Daw the Minstrel!!!

Coriandra-  Thank you so much for your moving review.  It made me feel good about my writing.  Even though there is much tom-foolery, I find I need to stop and take time to give my characters depth, but too often they just want to jump back into games and naughtiness.  Elves are much like humans in some regards.

SimplySara- Thank you for the review, I am glad you found the moment beautiful.  Elves demand no less.

Hanya the Bloody Angel- Ah tis the magic of movies, makes us want illusions, and what are the best illusions- why Elves of course, nothing is more magical and beautiful.  Worry for the twins, worry.

Nilmandra-  Glorfy, I am a very dedicated and diligent student.  I follow instructions quite well J . For some reason the Legolas I envision was able to withstand so much time on middle earth b/c he was able to transform the joy of those around him for himself.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List