Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Revolution  by Laikwalâssê

Revolution

Chapter 20:  playing cat and mouse

Saeron held up his hand to signal his fellows to keep their cover. He and thirty warriors had managed to sneak up to the palace. They hid behind some bushes just in front of the bridge over the underground river which left the palace just beneath the entrance gate.

They had needed hours to skirt around the guards Thoran had posted around the palace but now that they had reached their goal something was not right.

Saeron narrowed his eyes and again scanned their surroundings. He started when Galion placed a hand on his shoulder. Galion was the son of Thalan, commander of the north section and his best friend.

“What is it?” the brown haired elf whispered.

Saeron placed a finger over his lips and both elves moved back further into the bushes.

“What do you see?” Saeron asked while he again looked at the palace entrance.

Galion followed the gaze of his prince and shook his head.

“Nothing!” he whispered and looked at Saeron irritated.

“Exactly!” Saeron answered, and the irritation on Galion’s face increased. Saeron sighed.

“Is it not odd that there is no guard in sight? Not even at the entrance?”

Now it was Galion’s turn to narrow his eyes. Saeron was right. Even though they had seen many guards around the palace as they sneaked in, there were none to be seen directly at the entrance. In fact he could see no guard at all.

“What is the meaning of this?” Galion whispered.

Saeron shrugged his shoulders. Thoran was a wily fox. He did nothing without reason. He would surely not ‘forget’ to post a watch, so why was there no look-out on guard?

Yet when the men began to get anxious Saeron still gave the signal to infiltrate the palace. They had come here to get into the palace, preferably without a fight or using force. Yet they would not shy away from the challenge, no matter what dirty tricks Thoran might come up with.

Without making any noise the warriors led by Saeron left their hiding place and ran along the bridge toward the great gates. Saeron heaved a great sigh of relief when he saw that they still stood open. At some time his father must have released the spell holding them closed.

Saeron hoped that his father had done this willingly and not because Thoran had forced him or that he no longer had control over that magic.

Initially Saeron was not sure if this was a good sign but now he was glad that the heavy stone gates stood open. Had they been closed, no power in this world could have managed to break them open or release the spell.

Sneaking past the gates Saeron stepped into the courtyard, at all times expecting hidden guards to come forth. Yet nothing happened. The courtyard was deserted. Quickly he crossed the open space and ran up the many steps leading up to the entrance.

He did not look back but was sure that the warriors were following him. The warm breath on the back of his neck confirmed that Galion was right behind him.

Carefully he stepped inside the palace and into the hallway through another open doorway. Now all the hair on his neck stood on end. Again no guards and no members of the staff could be seen.

Even if it was now clear that Thoran wanted to lure them into a trap Saeron motioned all warriors inside and made some gestures and signs. He had told the warriors that they should not wander too far apart. Only as a closed group would they stand a chance against an assault from Thoran’s fellows. That this attack would come he had no doubt. Thoran had retreated into some crevice and was waiting for his chance.

Yet they had also to search the rooms. If possible they wanted to free his father and search for the children Thoran was holding hostage. Even if Thorn had threatened to kill the elflings Saeron hoped that they could somehow talk sense into this mad elf or at least prevent his carrying out his threat.

But where was Thoran hiding? Saeron grimaced. Thoran was no coward, yet would he risk getting caught? The empty palace was telling another story. Thoran had not cleared the space, had he?

Saeron shook his head at this thought earning a bewildered look from Galion. No, this rioter would not give up. He would fight until his last breath.

“He is here somewhere, do not doubt that,” Galion whispered and Saeron smiled. Galion had quickly interpreted his gesture. He loved this elf like a brother, sometimes more then his brother Galadhion. Galion understood him. They had been friends since early childhood.

When one of the warriors whistled softly Saeron turned and hastened through the great hall toward the elf. He was standing in front of the double doors leading to the throne room. Even these doors stood open, an unusual sight.

No one was permitted into this room until summoned or when his father held court or received petitions. Even Saeron and his brothers had to be announced if they wanted to speak with their father. He had always found this odd but he had never known it differently.

Saeron peeked around the door into the great room but could detect nothing unusual; yet again no elf could be seen. This part of the palace normally bustled with activity; this silence and emptiness was unnerving.

Saeron closed the doors and had two warriors take up a post in front of the entrance. They would make sure that no one would sneak in and surprise them and they could observe the palace entrance easily. Saeron was not planning on being surprised behind his back.

Just when he wanted to give the signal to search the palace further they heard the noise of running feet coming down a side corridor. Without delay the warriors retreated behind pillars, hid in alcoves or ducked behind furniture.

Saeron and Galion flattened themselves to the left and right against the wall where the corridor met the hall. While the warriors had drawn their bows Galion and Saeron made themselves ready to catch whoever was coming down the corridor.

When the elf entered the hallway the two friends sprang forward and wrestled the elf down while landing almost on top of him. Saeron grabbed the wrists while Galion slung his arm around the neck and pressed a hand over the other’s mouth.

From the beginning something had felt odd and now Saeron looked into the frightened eyes of a young woman. It took a moment for him to register that they had managed to overpower a woman and were now holding her down with a more than uncomfortable grip.

On first impulse Saeron released her wrists but Galion did not loosen his hold. After an irritated look from his prince Galion shook his head. “She could be a follower of Thoran, Saeron!” the young warrior whispered and Saeron nodded.

He stood and helped the woman up, yet Galion did not let her out of his grip. Saeron motioned for the warriors to lower their weapons. He could not see any of them, but he knew they were there. As long as he was interrogating the capture woman they would watch their surroundings.

He directed his gaze back at the woman.

“Who are you? I’m….”

“Prince Saeron. I know, and I’m no follower of Thoran,” the young woman replied and directed an irritated gaze a Galion. “Would you be so kind as to release me?” she asked with a slightly quivering voice.

After a nod from Saeron Galion released her but did not let her out of his sight. The girl straightened her skirt. Saeron conceded that he had to trust his knowledge of human nature. This situation was becoming more and more unnerving.

Rising her lowered head with a finger under her chin he tried a smile. “”Please accept my apology, lady. Who are you and what are you doing here?”

A sob suddenly shook the slender woman and Saeron’s guilt increased. He took her by the arm and directed her toward a small couch just around the corner. Normally visitors waited here for an audience. Still moving stiffly the girl sank into the cushions.

“I’m Liriel, daughter of Daeron, the head cook,” she answered the prince’s former question. Saeron narrowed his eyes his suspicion not entirely dampened.

“What has become of the staff? Why are you able to walk freely?” he asked and was not able to suppress some impatience. How much longer could they stay here without being discovered?

Raising her eyes Liriel looked first at Galion and then back at Saeron.

“Thoran is holding most of them captive in the dining hall. A few were able to leave the palace; others are hiding within these walls.”

Saeron nodded. It was just as he had guessed. No wonder no one had crossed their way so far.

Crouching down in front of the young woman Saeron took both of her hands in his. “Liriel, again I apologise, but now we need your help. Can you answer some questions for me?”

When the brown haired woman suddenly giggled Saeron raised an eyebrow. Turning serious again Liriel looked up. “Do you know that your brother caught me in a similar fashion a few weeks ago and he asked me much the same?”

Saeron frowned. Yes, Galadhion had told him of a woman he had met at the palace. “You are the one that was able to contact my father, right?” he asked and Liriel nodded.

“Not contact, my Lord. I was only able to deliver a meal and the message your brother gave me.”

Saeron nodded and rose. “Nonetheless you know where my father is being held and can tell us the way. We are here to free him and wrest the palace from this Thoran.”

When Liriel lowered her eyes anew, Saeron frowned. “I will tell you all I know, but ….” Saeron sighed and crouched again down to be at eye level with the girl.

“Liriel?” he asked and waited until her eyes did meet his again.

“Thoran has captured all of the children from the nursery and all he could grab on his way. He has imprisoned them somewhere under the palace. He has threatened us with their lives. That’s the reason why all inhabitants in the palace complied. My son is one of them. I haven’t seen him for days.”

Her words were drowned in tears. Saeron leaned forward and embrace the shivering frame. After the sobs had ceased he drew back and looked again into her red rimmed eyes.

“Liriel, we were already informed about the elflings and I promise you we will do everything possible to not endanger them. Nonetheless it is time to free the King and rid the palace of Thoran. Will you tell us where the King is being held?”

After Liriel had told where she had delivered the meal the last time Saeron thanked her and motioned a warrior over to take care of her.

When Liriel was out of earshot Saeron rallied the warriors around him. He was enough of a realist to know that Thoran would show himself sooner or later. He would not risk losing his precious pawn. The deeper they would go towards the dungeons the more probable they would encounter fellows of Thoran or even the traitor himself.

And there were still those that did support Thoran out of conviction. It would be very hard to distinguish the followers from the threatened. Everyone could be pretend to belong to the other’s group.

Saeron was more determined then ever to finally get his hands around the neck of this elf and make him answer for his crimes.

 

To be continued………………………..





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List