Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Till We Have Faces  by Antane

After his morning walks, Frodo came alone to Elrond’s library. Surrounded by so many books and so much history and knowing that he was a small part of it himself gave him peace to continue writing. He chose the spot this particular day to write of Rivendell and the call he had received there. He tried to remember what it was like for him in the days the Elf-lord had fought to heal him from his wound, but there was still a veil over that time that he could not pierce. He shrugged, contenting himself with what he did know. He smiled as he remembered Sam holding his hand after he had woken and expressing joy over seeing him well again.

“All that time you held my hand, my dearest Sam,” Frodo murmured. “Four nights watching over me. I wish I could remember that at least, but I don’t need to. I already know what it feels like. You spent so many more nights doing that. Even now I can feel it.” The pangs of loss were no longer so sharp but had begun to mellow into fond remembrance and contented looking forward to their physical reunion. The grief of their separation at the Havens had faded enough for the Ring-bearer to realize that Sam had not left his side after all. He held out a hand and closed his eyes. The strong presence he sensed of his beloved guardian was no mere memory. Somehow his Sam was near.

“So near,” Frodo murmured as he immersed himself once more in the past. He remembered sitting at the Council and the dreadful weight of the doom that he saw rushing toward him and the equally fierce longing to avoid it and stay in peace with Bilbo at the Elven haven. He heard the call come again within his heart to not run away but to embrace that he was chosen. The Voice he had heard was clearer now than it had been then, or perhaps he understood the call better now that he had endured the terrible cost of saying yes to it. As though watching another person, dearly loved but separate from himself, he looked within the heart of the frightened hobbit who had said that, without knowing all the ravages he would suffer because of it, though he had known enough to have such fear. He marveled then as now to hear such brave words as the call was assented to and how brave the hobbit had been. He also now knew how blessed he was also by the Powers who assisted him and who continued to do so.

That night, Frodo stood just outside the open door to the home he shared with Bilbo and Boromir. The two of them stood on either side of him as the stars began to come out. At first anxiety at being out after dark almost choked Frodo and he tightened the grip on the hands he held as he fought against the panic that he must get away or be devoured. He drew on the memory of the Lady’s light to strengthen him as well. He knew he was not alone. And the stars were made by another of the Powers. Bilbo sensed his heartson’s troubled spirit and his quick breathing. The ancient hobbit took Frodo’s hand, drew him close and began to slowly tell him the story of the stars that Frodo had heard more than once in childhood and never forgot. Listening to such beloved voice and watching the stars, the younger Ring-bearer’s trembling ceased as he immersed himself in his uncle’s tale and the memories of their jaunts through the Shire under star-lit skies and Bilbo pointing out their names and history. He recalled the peaceful sounds of night birds, the gentle and warm wind against his cheek and through his hair, the feel of the grass under his feet, the hand he held, the beauty of the stars above, the freshness of air, and the calm of the night.

After his uncle ceased speaking, Frodo’s sensory impressions lingered and he realized he felt them all now in the present, where before fear had overwhelmed him from feeling anything but itself. He remembered anew his words upon seeing Arwen come to Minas Tirith and how blessed and beautiful the night was and that its fear would pass away. He felt that truth deep inside him.

“I wish Faramir could have been here to hear you,” Boromir said. “He was always one for such tales. I am glad to hear of it myself. It brings faces to the Powers I had not thought of until I came here to see and hear of them and understand them more fully than I ever did before.”

Bilbo smiled. “It was not for naught that you brought here by one of them yourself. Here we are closest to their realm.”

“But do not think, Boromir,” Frodo said, “that Faramir is any less close to them in his heart. There they also dwell.”

“The eyes of his heart have always been clearer than mine. ’Tis a blessing to see them with my own eyes and understand his better.”     





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List