Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Elf Academy Part Deux  by Fiondil

37: Day Three

The night progressed more or less quietly. Around midnight, a couple of students woke up being sick and the Elves were busy cleaning up the mess and transferring them to what were being called the sickrooms.

"Though they’re all sick, the poor dears," commented Ercassë sympathetically as she helped one of the students to the women’s bathroom.

Cennanion and Barahir went to the students’ rooms to retrieve their mattresses so they would be more comfortable. There had been some discussion about letting everyone bring their mattresses up to the cafeteria but they would’ve taken up too much room.

"The students aren’t going to be able to stand sleeping on the hard floor for long," Gilvegil said. "Already some of them are complaining of sore muscles."

"Can’t be helped," Glorfindel said with a sigh.

Once the two students were removed from the general population, Daeron insisted that Glorfindel lie down and rest. "We’ve all had a turn at resting except you," he pointed out. "Now, go and get some sleep. We’ve got everything under control."

So Glorfindel went, finding a place in a corner, folding a blanket under his head for a pillow and throwing another over him. A few minutes later, he was slipping onto the Path of Dreams....

****

He was dreaming of the Helcaraxë, remembering how a blizzard had come up out of nowhere and everyone was attempting to find shelter. Glorfindel, along with the other warriors in Turucáno’s band who were busy piling snow into mounds and hollowing them out to create temporary shelters, found himself crammed in with six others, unable to move as the storm howled outside their makeshift igloo, wondering if this storm would last as long as the previous one....

He woke to the realization that something or rather, someone, was holding him down, pinning him so he could barely move. It was still dark out and he could get no sense of how much time had passed while he’d slept. He moved his head to the left to find one of the young Women who had been sleeping nearby happily curled up beside him, using his chest as a pillow. Movement alerted him and he found Daeron and Vorondur standing over him, amused looks on their faces.

"Is there something you haven’t told us, mellon nîn?" Daeron whispered, though Glorfindel heard him well enough.

"She’s a little young for you, isn’t she?" Vorondur said teasingly.

Glorfindel sighed. "It’s not what it looks like," he said. "I think she felt the heat from my body and just gravitated toward me in her sleep."

"A likely story," Daeron said with a sniff. "Next you’ll be telling us you didn’t really die and go to Mandos."

"Obviously, our fearless leader is hiding deep, dark secrets," Vorondur said. "It’s a good thing we found you instead of one of the students. Oh, the scandal that would cause!"

"Will you two stop with the Victorian melodrama and move her off me!" Glorfindel demanded. "My arm’s gone to sleep and I actually do need to get up."

Both Elves chuckled and Daeron bent down, gently stroking the Mortal’s hair. "Patty," he said quietly.

"Hmph?" The young Woman came partially awake.

"Why don’t you move over here where your pillow is, child?" Daeron asked, gently moving her off Glorfindel with one hand while shoving the abandoned pillow toward her. Patty grabbed the pillow with a sigh and fell instantly back to sleep. Glorfindel pushed himself up with one hand while shaking the other to get circulation back. Daeron and Vorondur continued grinning at him.

"If you’ll excuse me, I have business to attend to," Glorfindel said stiffly and walked away, ignoring the muffled laughter behind him. A few minutes later, having returned from the bathroom, he made his way into the kitchen where Mithrellas was there fixing some tea. She gave him a smile.

"Peppermint. Would you like some?"

"Yes, thank you." He stared at the clock on the wall. "I must be getting old. There was a time when I could’ve gone without sleep for nearly a week and be refreshed after only an hour’s rest. I can’t believe I slept for nearly three hours."

"The storm and everything is taking a toll on all of us," Mithrellas said, handing him a mug. "We’re all feeling it, not just the students."

Glorfindel nodded. "What’s our status?"

"All things considered, we’re in better shape than we deserve," the elleth replied. "Holly, Sarah and I took an inventory. If we’re careful, we can stretch the menus out for another three days. It’s going to be pretty basic but it will be filling. Towels are going to be a problem. We’re running out of clean ones and there’s no way to wash what we have unless we do it by hand."

"Rather impractical considering we’d have no way to hang them up so they dry. We’re just going to have to do with what we have and hope we get power back sooner rather than later."

"At any rate," Mithrellas continued, "what concerns me is our inability to maintain proper hygiene. I know most of the students are dying for a hot shower and not just as a means of warming up. They’re trying to make the best of it, but some of them are getting a bit hyper about things, from lack of showers to being unable to go outside. Electronic devices are running low and there’s no way to recharge them. People are going to go into withdrawal, unable to contact parents or play games or listen to music."

"Which is why we need to engage them in physical activities," Glorfindel said, "in order to keep their minds off of what is happening."

"Do you think the temperatures will improve during the day so we can throw them outside for a while?"

"The latest readings seem to indicate that," Glorfindel replied. "To tell you the truth, I’m as anxious to get out as the students are." He downed his tea. "I think I’m going for a run. I need to burn off some of my energy as well."

"I think Gil and Roy are already down on the second floor running. At least, they were there about an hour ago."

"Then I guess I’ll join them. Thanks for the tea." He left the kitchen, stopping to inform Daeron and Vorondur who were on watch as to his intent and then made his way down to the second floor, stopping for a couple of minutes to warm up before going into a jog. In spite of the dark he was able to see well enough to run, for someone had kept a couple of the dorm room doors open so moonlight came streaming in. He was rounding the first corner when he heard footsteps behind him and shortly thereafter, Elrohir and Gilvegil were joining him, slowing somewhat to match Glorfindel’s pace.

"Care for some company?" Gilvegil asked and Glorfindel nodded.

"How far have you run?" he asked.

"Oh, about ten miles so far," Elrohir answered with a shrug.

"Then it seems I have a little bit of catching up to do," Glorfindel said with a smile.

The other two Elves chuckled as the three continued jogging.

"So, where’s Dan?" Glorfindel asked Elrohir.

"He’s watching over the sick with Daisy. Sarah and I will take over in about an hour."

"Speaking of Sarah, I had an interesting conversation with Ron a while ago."

"Oh?"

"Yes, he’s wondering if he’s going to have to see another age before you get up the nerve to ask him for his daughter’s hand."

Elrohir sighed. "You, too?"

"What?"

"Oh, nothing. It’s just that Dan’s been after me as well."

"And that should tell you something right there," Glorfindel said. He gave Elrohir a grin. "Are you afraid of Ron?"

"Of course not!"

"Are you afraid he’ll refuse your suit? Because, if you are, you can put that fear to rest. Ron and Holly are quite anxious for you to become their son-in-law."

"It’s not that," Elrohir protested.

"Then what?

"It’s complicated."

"It’s always complicated." Glorfindel came to a halt and the others did as well. "So let me uncomplicate it for you: you love Sarah; she loves you. Ron and Holly love you as their son. All you need to do is go to Ron and ask for Sarah’s hand." He gave him a sly look. "Unless, of course, you decide to do it the Sindarin way."

"A better option, in my opinion," Gilvegil said with a grin. "You Noldor are too hung up on ceremony for your own good."

Elrohir actually blushed, much to the older Elves’ amusement. "No. I suggested it, but Sarah’s bent on having a real wedding."

"Then I suggest you don’t disappoint the elleth and let’s get this betrothal in place."

Now?!"

"Is there a better time?" Glorfindel asked, giving Elrohir an innocent look.

"Well, I mean... we’re in the middle of a crisis."

Glorfindel shrugged. "And so? Happy news will go a long way towards boosting everyone’s morale. I don’t see where there’s a problem, do you, Gil?"

"Not from where I’m standing," Gil answered with a smile. "Glorfindel’s right, child. The time for stalling is past and well past. I think we could all use some happy news and a betrothal is just what the healer ordered."

"I’m the healer," Elrohir protested, though somewhat weakly.

Glorfindel and Gilvegil chuckled and the three resumed their run in silence. After a moment, Elrohir said, "I’ll talk it over with Sarah. Maybe there’ll be an announcement later in the day."

"I’m looking forward to it," Glorfindel said and Gilvegil seconded him.

****

As the students began waking and hurrying through their ablutions and getting some breakfast, Glorfindel made an announcement that cheered them all.

"The temperatures have moderated enough, so, after breakfast, all the male students are free to go outside and play." There was a rush of clapping and shouting from the men. Glorfindel held up his hands for silence. "And while the men are outside, the women will be indulging in sponge baths and washing their hair." Now the women all clapped and cheered. When silence was achieved, Glorfindel continued. "So, ladies, after breakfast, go and get clean clothes and report back here. Men, your mission, should you choose to accept it," and there was general laughter at that, "is to build two snow forts. After lunch, the ladies will go outside and make snowballs for each fort while you gentlemen spruce yourselves up with a wash. Then, we’ll have a snowball fight after supper."

Everyone clapped and cheered.

"So, in the next half hour all males, including teachers, are to report outside. The only exception is Roy, as he’s watching over the sick."

In minutes, as the students quickly finished their breakfast, they began to scatter. Glorfindel stopped Alex and Derek as they were leaving. "How are you two holding up?"

"I’m fine," Derek said.

"Me, too," Alex replied somewhat quickly. When Glorfindel gave him a skeptical look he sighed. "Really, I’m fine, or, at least, I’m better. Look, I promise not to overdo it. I can act in a supervisory role, help design the forts even if I don’t actually work on them."

"All right," Glorfindel relented. "Dan will be outside, so if you start feeling sick again, you are to let him know. You were very seriously ill, more so than the other students, and we don’t want a relapse."

Alex nodded and Glorfindel let the two Men go. When everyone was outside, Glorfindel gave them further instructions. "Two forts. The teachers will supervise. The forts should be far enough apart to make things interesting but close enough to accommodate the shorter throwing range of anyone who isn’t a champion pitcher for the Yankees." They all laughed at that. "Count off by twos and have fun. Darren, come with me."

As the young men began counting off, Glorfindel and Daeron walked away, moving around the building and out of sight of the students. "I’m going to check with Richard and see how the rest of the college is doing," Glorfindel said. "I’d like you to go into town and check on our friends."

"And our enemies?" Daeron asked with a knowing smile.

But Glorfindel shook his head. "Leave Farrell alone for now. He’s not important at the moment. Our friends are. Stop and speak with the sheriff and see what’s going on. I’d like to get a hold of Paul and the other rangers but I imagine they have their hands full dealing with the parks."

"I’ll see what I can find out about when power might be restored. Now that the storm is over the crews should be coming out from Fairbanks to supplement those from Chandalar and Bettles."

"Hopefully that will help," Glorfindel said. "If you can scrounge up an extra belt for the generator, that would be great. I’m going to take a look at the other one and see if it’s unfrozen enough to get it started again." The two parted. Daeron ran swiftly over the snow while Glorfindel continued to where the generators were to find Barahir and Cennanion already there. They looked up at Glorfindel’s approach.

"It’s possible we’ll be able to get this one going soon," Cennanion said. "No guarantees, but if the temperatures don’t plunge too far tonight, we may be alright."

"If you can get it to run even for a few hours, long enough to give us some heat, that would be great," Glorfindel said. "This cold is taking its toll on all of us, but especially the Mortals and especially those who are sick. I know Dan and Roy are not happy to have to keep putting them into healing sleep for such long periods and it’s draining them more than they are letting on."

"We’ll do what we can," Barahir said.

"I’ve sent Daeron into town to check on our friends there. He’s going to see if he can also find a new belt for the other generator."

"That would be great," Cennanion said.

"Well, I need to hunt down the college president and anyone else from Admin to see what’s happening with the rest of the college. I’ll let you get back to work." With that, he set off, making his way to the administration building but when he got there the building was locked up and he could not get in. Frustrated, he decided to just wander and see if he could find anyone else. He went to the student center, finding it full of people who were warm but hungry, for the snack bar had run out of food the day before. Some of the students were planning to go into town in the hope of finding a store open so they could buy food. Glorfindel suggested that they first go to the sheriff’s office and let them know what the conditions were.

"They’ll be in a better position to see that food is gotten to you and anything else that’s needed. What of the sick? Do you have any who are still suffering from the virus?"

"Yeah," one student said. "They spend most of their time in the bathrooms. I’m worried for some of them, though. They don’t look very good."

"I’m on my way over to the clinic. I’ll let them know and have one of the doctors come and check on you all."

He headed for the clinic and found Dr. Lawrence, who apparently had never left. The Man had bags under his eyes and the fatigue of having been on call for nearly three days was telling. The rest of his staff didn’t look much better. "I’ll have a med team put together and sent over to the student center shortly," he said to Glorfindel after the Elf-lord filled him in. "I’ve been planning this since the storm began. How are your people holding up? And Alex, how is he?"

Glorfindel brought him up to date. "Well, now that the worst is over, I’m hoping some of the staff can go home, but we’ll have to wait for the others who couldn’t make it in for their shift to get here. I have every confidence that Dan and Roy have done a superb job with your own sick, but I’m sure they wouldn’t mind some help."

"They’re both nearly at the end of their strength. None of us have had proper sleep since Monday. Elves can go for days without it, for we can rest while awake, but even we need to stop and have complete rest eventually. If you could send some people over to check on vitals that would be welcome. The Twins are only guessing sometimes as to what the vitals are for any one student."

Once Glorfindel was satisfied with the arrangements, he made his way back to the Academy, pleased to see that two snow forts were well on their way to being built. He entered the building and smiled, for he could see that they had power again, for the hall lights were dimly glowing. He made his way toward the stairs on the men's side of the building, climbing them and entering the lounge where Elrohir was watching over the sick, quickly filling the ellon in on what he’d done.

"It would be a relief to have these children moved to the clinic where they can get proper treatment," Elrohir said with a sigh. "At least we have one of the generators up and running again. That should go a long way towards boosting morale."

"I agree. Well, I’m going to go back out and see how the forts are coming along. Do you want anyone to relieve you and Sarah?"

"Sure. I wouldn’t mind getting some fresh air for a bit and I know Sarah would, too."

"All right. Have Sarah check with Misty to get one of the elleth to relieve her and I’ll send Gil up."

****

The forts were declared a success. The ellyn had offered their expertise on constructing fortifications, so these forts were quite a sight, with thick walls and rising towers. Everyone was in a cheerful mood as they trooped in to get ready for lunch. The women were also happy to feel clean again. When they saw that some power had been restored, one of the men asked if that meant they would be able to take showers instead of sponge baths, but Amroth told them that there was still not enough hot water for that and they were reserving the showers for those who were sick. Immediately, several of the men started clutching their stomachs as if in pain. Amroth wasn’t impressed, merely smiling and letting them know that any who were truly sick wouldn’t be able to participate in the snowball fight later.

"It’s amazing how they all instantly recovered," Amroth said sardonically and Glorfindel and the other Elves chuckled.

So, after lunch, while the men lined up for their sponge baths, the women all went outside to make snowballs for the upcoming war, interspersing that activity with building snowmen — "Sentinels," as one student called them.

At one point, Daeron returned bearing news.

"The plows are out and working their way to the college. They’ll be working through the night so we should be accessible by road by the morning. Some students showed up at the sheriff’s office while I was there and the sheriff called the manager of the grocery store and ordered him to come and open his store and let the students take what they needed. They’ll keep a tab and send the bill to Admin later."

"Admin was closed up and I haven’t been able to get a hold of Richard," Glorfindel told him. "It disturbs me that no one from Administration has bothered to check on those of us here. Dr. Lawrence called me to let me know that he had teams checking every building, even breaking in to those that are locked up. Right now they’re concentrating on where they know the students are, so they won’t get to the Admin building for a while. He’s sent a couple of nurses here to check on our sick. We’re making plans to transfer some of the worst cases but probably not before tomorrow. They’re fine where they are for now."

"Nicole and the kids are fine, as are Zach and the Michaelsons," Daeron continued his report. "I checked with Shane and the others. Shane’s mother is making plans to leave as soon as possible. Shane told me that she’s convinced her mother that she’s happy where she is and does not want to return to Brooklyn. Sheila isn’t happy about it, but there’s little she can do. As soon as the access road is cleared, Shane will take her to Bettles to the airport."

"One crisis averted," Glorfindel said. "Everyone else faring well?"

"As far as I was able to determine. I met Marian and Deirdre. They’re going to check in as soon as they can get here."

"Good enough," Glorfindel said. "If we can get power completely restored then maybe we can get back to teaching. This storm’s put paid to most of our plans."

"We’ll manage," Daeron assured him.

****

Supper was served an hour earlier than usual so that there would be plenty of time for the snowball fight. Amroth, Nimrodel, Vorondur and Ercassë volunteered to stay with the sick and see about getting them showered and into clean clothes. Then, they were brought into the cafeteria and fed broth and crackers. The windows had defrosted enough so they could see out. Most of them lined the windows to watch the snowball fight going on below, obviously envious of their classmates, wishing they could go out as well. Still, most of them were happy to watch, cheering for one side or the other indiscriminately, making comments, rude and otherwise, about their friends’ efforts in attacking or defending.

The game ended when Alex, who had insisted he was well enough to play, organized a group of commandos, as he called them, and, using his skills in espionage, managed to bring his people undetected behind enemy lines and attack from the rear. Derek, who was fighting with the other group, managed to ‘kill’ Alex with a snowball smack in his face, so he was out before the game ended, but he didn’t seem to mind, coming over to where the Elves were gathered, cheerfully describing his tactics to Barahir and Gilvegil.

After the last snowball was thrown and victory for one side declared, everyone cheered and hugged each other and trooped indoors laughingly analyzing the game, asking if they could have another snowball fight the next day. The Elves had put together some chili for the final meal, which was happily consumed, along with s’mores as a special treat, the students taking turns standing in front of the stoves and toasting marshmallows. The s’mores were courtesy of Daeron who, on his way back to the college, had stopped at the store and bought up the necessary ingredients, feeling that they all needed a treat.

When the meal was over and the kitchen cleaned up, the Elves offered to entertain them with song before lights out, but before they did so, Vorondur and Ercassë motioned for Elrohir and Serindë to stand with them.

"We have an announcement to make," Vorondur said, smiling. "Sometimes it takes a crisis for people to realize just how precious life is and how we can never know what the future will bring. This afternoon, while you were all pounding each other with snowballs, Roy asked Sarah for her hand in marriage and she has accepted with our blessing."

There was a general outburst of applause and cheering. Vorondur raised his hand for silence. "Holly and I are very happy for them."

"You mean, relieved," Ercassë said with a roll of her eyes and everyone laughed.

Vorondur smiled at his wife and winked at Elrohir, who blushed, before addressing the students again. "The wedding will be held sometime in the spring. And now, in honor of the happy couple, we will sing a traditional song of welcome for a newly betrothed couple."

And with that, all the Elves, except Serindë and Elrohir, who stood shyly holding hands, burst into song. The concert continued for some time after that, ending with the Elves singing lullabies that sent the Mortals into blissful sleep.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List