Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Elf Academy Part Deux  by Fiondil

47: Return

At the lodge, Marty, the thirty-something owner, showed Amroth to one of the first floor bed suites where he and Elladan quickly stripped Alex of his clothes and helped him into the shower which Elrohir had running. Amroth stripped as well and joined him, holding Alex up while he stood there, letting the hot water ease his aches and pains. He was a mass of cuts and bruises and when they brought him back out of the bathroom, Glorfindel, who had followed them into the suite but had kept out of their way, bit back a gasp of dismay at the sight. Alex seemingly paid little attention, allowing the Elves to help him redress after Elladan rubbed some liniment given to him by the lodge owner over the worst of the bruises while Elrohir dealt with the cuts.

"He’s definitely concussed," Elladan said as he ran a comb, courtesy of the lodge, through Alex’s wet hair, "and I don’t think he’s entirely aware of his surroundings."

"We should get him back to Wiseman and to the clinic or St. Luke’s," Glorfindel said. "He probably should be x-rayed."

"Right now, I want to see about getting some food down him," Elrohir said. "It’s a long drive back and I want him to be as comfortable as possible."

"Should we contact med-evac and have him flown back?" Amroth asked.

"Let’s wait and see," Elrohir answered. "If he’s not responsive in the next hour, we’ll have him flown to St. Luke’s." He turned his attention to Alex, placing his hands on either side of the Man’s head. "Alex, Alex." Slowly, too slowly to Glorfindel’s way of thinking, the Mortal’s eyes focused on Elrohir. "Would you like something to eat?"

"Yes." The voice was whisper thin and he spoke in a monotone.

"Then let’s go to the dining room." He helped Alex to stand.

"Derek?" Alex asked.

"Derek is waiting for you," Elrohir assured him.

The Mortal gave a ghost of a smile. "Gwador," he said and all four Elves gave him smiles of approval.

"Yes, Alex. Derek is your gwador and you are his," Elladan said. "So, let’s show your gwador that you are not at death’s door."

"Tired."

"I know, but we’ll feed you first and then you can rest, okay?" Elrohir said as he helped him to the door and Alex nodded ever so slightly.

They moved down the hall and Glorfindel was glad to see that someone had made sure it was empty. He had no doubt that the other Elves and Mortal instructors were keeping the rest of the students busy with supper. As they reached the lodge’s central foyer with its river stone fireplace dominating one wall, they found Derek, Nathan, Carla, Shafali and Leanne sitting anxiously by the fireplace, along with Ron and Holly who were softly speaking to them. They all looked up, their troubled expressions mutating to near joy at the sight of Alex walking carefully between the Twins. Derek leapt from his chair and came over to give Alex a light hug.

Alex smiled at him. "Did you win?" he asked.

Derek shook his head. "Nah, we came in third, but that’s okay. I just had fun."

"More fun than me," Alex said and Derek hugged him again.

"Why don’t we go to the dining room and see if we can get some supper?" Amroth suggested. "I don’t know about any of you, but I’m starved."

"I don’t think Alex should have any of the chili that’s been made, though," Vorondur said with a sympathetic smile. "I think a bowl of broth is in order."

Alex grimaced. "I so hate beef broth."

The others laughed. "If you can keep the broth down perhaps you can try some of the chili," Vorondur said, "but I would advise against it and I’m sure Roy and Dan would say the same."

"Soft foods for at least a day," Elrohir said with a nod.

"Well, let’s not stand here talking about it," Glorfindel said and they all made their way toward the dining room. On the way, they were met by Marty, who had taken over the lodge from his parents the year before when they retired to Florida. He gave them an anxious look.

"How’s he doing?"

"Better," Glorfindel assured him as everyone but Vorondur continued on to the dining room. "We’re going to see if we can get some broth down him before we determine if he should be flown back to Wiseman or if he can stand the bus ride."

"He’s welcome to stay the night here if necessary," Marty said, "and anyone else who you think should stay with him."

"That may not be a bad idea," Vorondur said, joining the conversation. "Why don’t we see how he does in the next hour before we make any real decision? We’ll be sending everyone else back around then anyway."

"Just let me know," Marty said, "and don’t worry. Everything’s on me. I’ll go tell the kitchen to warm up some broth and if there’s anything else you need, just let me know."

"Thanks, Marty. We appreciate it," Glorfindel said and he and Vorondur joined the others in the dining room.

They were congregated at a table near the fireplace, a smaller version of the one in the foyer. One of the kitchen staff was already there, handing out glasses of water, leaving a full pitcher on the table. Elrohir was urging Alex to drink the water while Elladan was giving the waitress their order.

"I can have someone bring up some chili for the rest of you," she said and they all nodded.

As Glorfindel and Vorondur joined them, they heard Alex speaking to Nathan and the young women.

"I’m sorry I lost us the race."

"We’re just glad you’re not seriously hurt or worse," Nathan spoke for them all. "There’ll be other races, I’m sure."

"Why is everything bad happening to me?" Alex asked no one in particular.

"What do you mean, son?" Amroth asked.

"I just don’t get sick with that stupid bug, I get really sick and then I end up losing the race because I was too stupid to watch where I was going. It’s like I’m cursed or something."

"I doubt that you’re cursed," Amroth said with an amused look. "You’re just experiencing a streak of bad luck. It happens to us all, but it’s not a conspiracy to make your life miserable. Right now, I suspect you’re feeling a bit fragile and you’re bound to have a negative view of things. I think we should get you back to the Academy and into bed. A good night’s rest should help."

"I agree," Vorondur said. "Ah… here’s dinner. Now, if you can handle the broth, we’ll move on to poached eggs if you’re still hungry."

Alex sighed and the others gave him sympathetic looks as they dug into their chili while Alex sipped on the broth. Elrohir allowed him to have some hot chocolate as well, but also encouraged him to drink more water.

"I’m going to be floating home if I have any more," Alex protested, but he dutifully drank the glass and then asked for more. It did not escape Glorfindel’s notice that the Twins and Vorondur exchanged knowing looks.

They continued eating in silence. Alex seemed to lapse into a dazed state after he finished the broth. When Elladan asked him if he was still hungry, he shook his head. "Tired," he said, and blinked his eyes several times, as if trying to keep awake.

"I think it would be wise for Alex to ride home with us," Vorondur suggested. "I don’t think he should ride the bus."

"Not alone," Alex said, seemingly rousing from his state.

"You won’t be alone, Alex," Amroth assured him. "You can ride with Loren and me and I think either Dan or Roy should accompany us."

"No, not alone," Alex repeated.

Everyone exchanged puzzled looks, unsure what he meant, and then Vorondur’s expression cleared. "Do you mean you want Derek to ride with you?" he asked.

Alex nodded. "Not alone," he repeated, as if that explained everything and perhaps, for him, it did, Glorfindel mused. Perhaps Alex simply didn’t want to be the lone Mortal among the Elves.

"Then, Derek will ride with us," he said.

"No problem," Derek said with a nod.

Alex leaned against Derek’s shoulder and Glorfindel was dismayed to see the young Man weeping. "I d-don’t want to b-be alone," he stuttered through his tears and Derek wrapped an arm around him very gently, mindful of his bruises.

"Shhh... It’s okay, gwador. You won’t be alone, I promise. Hush now and dry those tears. You don’t want Carla, Shafali and Leanne to think you’re a wimp now, do you?"

"Huh, speak for yourself, sailor," Shafali said with a sniff. "I like my men all weepy and emotional. The strong, silent type is so Neanderthal."

Derek and Nathan rolled their eyes at one another as the other two co-eds giggled. The Elves smiled at the byplay. Glorfindel was glad to see Alex smiling a bit as well as he wiped the tears from his eyes, but he also noticed that the Man was in no hurry to leave Derek’s embrace and he seemed to sag, as if all the strength had left him.

"I think we should consider getting Alex back now," he said. "I can pull down some of the seats in my van and we can make a bed for him. Holly, you want to find Daeron and tell him we’re leaving? He can supervise the return of the other students. Nathan, Shafali, Leanne, Carla, you should go with her and thank you. I’m sure Alex appreciates that you don’t hate him for not winning the race."

He turned to Alex, thinking to see him nodding in agreement, but he appeared to have fallen asleep. He frowned, not sure if that was a good sign or not.

The four Mortals, meanwhile, were getting up to follow Holly out, casting concerned looks Alex’s way. "Don’t worry," Elrohir told them. "We’ll see him safely back to the Academy."

"I’ll go warm up the van and get it set," Glorfindel said as he, too, stood up. "Ask Marty for a loan of blankets and a couple of pillows. I’ll bring the van around to the front."

"We’ll wait in the foyer," Vorondur said. "How many can you fit in the van with Alex taking up half the seats as a bed?"

"Well, Derek has to ride with me, but I would like to have at least one of you with us as well in case Alex needs medical assistance. We could probably squeeze another person in but it would be very uncomfortable."

"Hmm... I feel uneasy about just having one of us on hand," Vorondur said with a frown. "Amroth, you want to follow Loren? Let Roy ride with Alex and Dan and I will ride with you and Della."

Amroth nodded. "I’ll go find my wife and tell Daeron who’s going with us. The others can supervise getting the rest of the students back to Wiseman."

"I’ll check with Marty," Elrohir said and he, Glorfindel and Amroth went out, leaving Vorondur and Elladan with Derek and Alex.

"Let’s get him to the foyer," Vorondur said as he gently roused the young Man from his stupor, helping him to stand with Derek by his side. Slowly, they made their way into the foyer where they saw Marty handing Elrohir a pile of soft fleece-lined blankets and a couple of pillows.

"Now, if you need anything else, just let me know," they heard the Man say. "And tell Alex not to worry about medical bills, if there are any. I’ll cover them, seeing as how the accident happened here."

"You’re a good person, Marty," Elrohir said. "I know Alex has insurance, so don’t worry about it. I would advise that you close that trail for now, though. We’re just lucky that only one person was caught in the avalanche."

"I’ve already instructed my people to put up warning tapes," Marty said. "This much snow coming all at once is unusual for this time of year and with the temperatures warming back up, there’re a lot more chances of avalanches. Ah... I think that’s your ride." He pointed toward the front door and they all saw Glorfindel pulling up with his van. Another car came up behind it and they could see Amroth at the wheel.

Vorondur and Elladan helped Alex into his coat, which had been retrieved from the suite while Elrohir went out with Marty to put together the bed for Alex. When they were all set, Marty came back in to let them know they were ready for them and Vorondur and Elladan helped Alex out and settled into the van, where they found that half the blankets had been laid out to create a mattress. Once they had Alex settled, wrapped in the other blankets, Derek climbed in to sit beside him while Elrohir joined Glorfindel in the front.

"We’ll be right behind you," Vorondur told them. "I would advise driving as slowly as you can until you get to the main highway so as not to jar him too much."

Glorfindel nodded and then they were off.

****

The ride was done in virtual silence, each lost in his own thoughts. Looking through the back window, Derek could see Amroth’s car trailing them. Alex seemed to be sleeping, but every once in a while, his eyes opened and he became agitated until Derek leaned over him, brushing a hand through his hair.

"I’m right here," he would say quietly and Alex would lapse into sleep once again, only to waken anxious several minutes later.

"How’s he doing?" Elrohir asked quietly, looking back at Derek.

"He keeps waking up all anxious until he sees me and then he calms down," Derek replied. "Why is he so afraid to be alone with you guys?"

"Does it really matter?" Elrohir retorted mildly. "Is it not enough that he feels the need to have you near, to draw comfort from your presence?"

Derek just nodded and they lapsed back into silence.

They were about halfway to Wiseman when they ran into trouble. Alex suddenly woke gagging, struggling to sit up.

"Daro!" Elrohir ordered, even as he was undoing his seatbelt.

Glorfindel pulled immediately over and killed the engine while Derek was trying to get out of Elrohir’s way as he climbed over the seats to reach Alex.

"Open the door," he commanded and Derek pulled the side-door open and stepped down then turned to help Elrohir with Alex who was valiantly trying not to be sick in the van. They were just in time. No sooner did Alex’s feet hit the ground than he doubled over and Derek had just enough time to step back before Alex could vomit all over him. Meanwhile, Amroth had brought his car to a halt and Elladan and Vorondur jumped out and headed their way. The three Elves held a hasty conversation in Sindarin, speaking too rapidly for Derek to follow. Glorfindel, he noticed, never got out and never looked at them, keeping his eyes straight ahead, his hands clenching the wheel. After about five minutes, the vomiting ceased. Derek handed Alex a water bottle and he rinsed his mouth while all three Elves placed their hands on his head and crooned something soft and musical.

"Let’s get him back in," Elrohir said after a minute, and they quickly and competently bundled Alex back into the van and got him settled. Derek took the time to cover the mess with snow before climbing in. "We’ll go straight to St. Luke’s," he heard Elrohir inform his brother, who nodded.

"We’ll meet you there. I think it would be wise for us to drive ahead and alert the staff that you’re bringing in an avalanche victim," Elladan said.

"I’ll ride with you," Vorondur said and while Elladan returned to Amroth’s car, he proceeded to climb into the van next to Derek, who scrunched over to give him room. The Elf gave him a smile. "I know it’s a bit crowded but we’re not that far from Wiseman."

"No problem. I could use the company," Derek said, giving him a sardonic smile. "Alex isn’t much of a conversationalist."

Elrohir climbed back into his seat and nodded to Glorfindel. "We’re all set."

Glorfindel just nodded and started up the van, pulling back out onto the road. Amroth had already done so and was speeding northward towards Wiseman, disappearing over a hill. For the longest time, silence reigned in the van. Alex remained sleeping and did not rouse, much to Derek’s relief. He turned to Vorondur. "He’s going to be okay, isn’t he?"

"Yes. We just need to get him to the hospital and get some x-rays to make sure. I think sleep is the best medicine for him at this point."

"He really seemed so out of it, as if he wasn’t always here, if you know what I mean."

"I’d like to know who this Junior is he kept talking to when he was attempting to finish the race," Elrohir said, joining their conversation.

"Obviously someone important to him," Vorondur commented.

"Wiseman, three miles," Glorfindel said, speaking for the first time since they had left the resort, turning left at the junction.

"I’m going to call Dan now that we’re so close and let him know we’re almost there," Elrohir said, fishing out his cell phone and speed dialing a number. A few seconds later he was speaking into it in Sindarin. A moment later he shut the phone down. "They’re standing by. We’re to bring him directly to the Urgent Care entrance."

Glorfindel nodded as he maneuvered the van through the sparse traffic, heading for the hospital. Even as they were pulling up to the entrance of the Urgent Care facility, several people poured out of the building with a stretcher. Vorondur was opening the side door almost before Glorfindel pulled to a stop and was quickly directing the staff with a competence that told Derek that the Elf had done this many times before. He wondered just what Vorondur had done in his life before coming to Wiseman. Elrohir and Elladan were attempting to inform a young man who appeared to be the resident in charge about Alex’s condition but the doctor waved them off as he began issuing his own orders as they were bringing Alex in. Glorfindel had climbed out of the van and was following them into the hospital. Derek trailed behind everyone else, feeling superfluous.

"...should have had him flown in," he heard the resident castigate the Twins as he entered the building. "Of all the incompetent...."

"He appeared to be recovering," Elladan said stiffly. "It was our opinion...."

"And are you a doctor?" the Mortal shot back with a supercilious sneer. "From what medical school did you learn your trade? Witchdoctor U?"

Both Twins narrowed their eyes in almost the same feral expression and Derek had the uncanny feeling that they were about to go into battle against the arrogant resident but Glorfindel beat them to it. He grabbed the doctor by the lapels of his lab coat. "You dare!" he practically screamed. "You dare insult the sons of the most gifted healer this world ever saw? What’s your name?" He glanced at the Man’s name tag. "Stoner? I’d like to stone you and then feed you to the orcs one piece at a time, you insolent puppy. How dare you—"

Everyone else in the waiting room had simply stopped and stared in shock at the confrontation. Derek noticed a couple of security guards heading their way. The Twins had stepped back, apparently knowing better than to interfere. Amroth and Della were both frowning. Only Vorondur, Derek noticed, seemed unfazed. He was at the reception desk, speaking to one of the nurses who handed him a pad on which he scribbled something and then tore the page off. He sauntered over to where Glorfindel was still castigating the resident and shoved the piece of paper between them. Glorfindel stopped his ranting to stare at it, letting the Man go.

"What’s this?" he asked, taking the proffered paper from Vorondur and reading it. Derek saw his eyes widening in surprise and then he glared at Vorondur who stood there calmly. "Valium?" Glorfindel demanded. "You’re prescribing valium? To me? What the....?"

"Captain!" Elrohir suddenly shouted and when Glorfindel turned, to Derek’s everlasting surprise, the young Elf hauled off and landed his fist square on Glorfindel’s jaw before the Elf-lord had time to react, knocking him unconscious. Vorondur caught him before he went all the way down, giving Elrohir an amused look.

"I think the valium would’ve been better," he said as he lifted the unconscious Elf into his arms as easily as if he were holding a child and then handed him over to Amroth.

Elrohir returned his smile. "But my way was quicker and you would’ve had to hogtie him to get the valium down him."

"He’s going to make your life miserable when he wakes up, little brother," Elladan said with a laugh and Elrohir merely shrugged, apparently unconcerned. "Should we take him home or find him a room here?"

Stoner then entered the conversation, his expression one of anger and insult. "That lunatic should be locked up. How dare he assault me."

"He’s been under a great deal of strain lately," Vorondur said soothingly. "Now I suggest you go look in on your patient and you leave us to deal with our friend."

"Who the hell are you to tell me what to do?"

"Doctor Stoner."

They all turned to see an older man walking towards them. "You owe Dr. Brightman an apology for your rudeness and another to the Drs. Ronaldson. Then I suggest you go home. I’ll take over for you."

Stoner just stood there gaping. "Doctor? These are doctors?"

"Dr. Brightman is one of the nation’s top psychiatrists and the Drs. Ronaldson were practicing the healing arts while you were still teething and making messes in your diapers," the older Man said mildly. "Now, off you go." It was a dismissal and the resident knew it. Casting a dark look at them all, he stalked off in high dudgeon. The older doctor turned to them and Derek could see his name tag read ‘G. Harris’.

"Hello, Ron," Dr. Harris said, holding out his hand which the Elf shook.

"Geoffrey," Vorondur said. "Good to see you again."

"Dan, Roy, you want to fill me in on what happened? Avalanche I understand."

Both Twins nodded. "What should we do about Loren?" Elladan asked.

Dr. Harris gave them an amused look. "I’ll have one of the nurses find him a bed. I think we’ll keep him here for a while."

"Put him in with Alex when you’re done examining him," Vorondur suggested with a sly grin.

Harris simply nodded, motioning to the Twins to follow him. "So tell me exactly what happened...."

A few minutes later, orderlies came with a stretcher and they put Glorfindel in it and headed off with Vorondur trailing them, leaving Derek alone with Amroth and Della, the three of them finding seats, settling in to wait for news on Alex.

****

Daro!: (Sindarin) 'Stop!'





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List