Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Elf Academy Part Deux  by Fiondil

67: Back at Edhellond

The rest of the week went by quietly enough. Alex and Derek attended their classes with Findalaurë, Calandil and Elennen tagging along. On Wednesday, the three ellyn were torn between watching the fencing and wanting to participate in the unarmed defense class. Amroth promised he would give them their first lesson in that after the regular class so they went willingly to watch the fencing, commenting afterwards on how different it was from sword fighting.

"It’s more stylized," Alex said in agreement. "It evolved into a sport rather than as a means of defense when guns were invented."

He and Derek agreed to wait while the ellyn received their first unarmed defense lesson, sitting on the bleachers, relaxing, smiling in amusement as Amroth and Vorondur competently threw the younger Elves onto the mat time and again. Calandil, surprisingly, seemed to understand the mechanics of what the older Elves were teaching them better than the other two and crowed in delight when he managed to throw Vorondur. It was not a smooth maneuver, being rather clumsily executed, but both Vorondur and Amroth praised him for his efforts and the other two ellyn applied themselves more diligently to the task of learning the moves that were being taught.

Derek gave Alex a significant look and leaned over to whisper in his ear. "Methinks there is rivalry between the three amigos."

Alex grinned. "Methinks thou art correct. They’ve probably been competing against one another for so long it’s become second nature and they don’t even realize they’re competing."

Derek nodded. "So, can we use that to our advantage?"

Alex shook his head. "Probably, but I don’t really want to. These three are gwedyr to one another. It would be cruel to set them against each other, don’t you think? Right now, they have a healthy sense of competition between each other, trying to keep up with rather than trying to best the other two."

"Yeah," Derek allowed. "Still...." He gave Alex a sly grin and Alex just shook his head again, rolling his eyes.

When the lesson was over, Alex was careful to praise all three ellyn equally for their efforts. When Findalaurë muttered something about it being harder than it looked, Alex grinned. "You’ve only had one lesson. I spent years being trained in the martial arts. It’s not something that you get immediately. These days, children start learning when they’re three or four years old."

The three ellyn gave him considering looks. Calandil nodded. "I would like to take more lessons."

"I’m sure something can be arranged," Derek said. "I think most of the Wiseman Elves know some form of martial arts and would be willing to teach you. Well, it’s getting late. Why don’t we go get some dinner?"

The others agreed and soon they were back at the Academy joining the line to the cafeteria.

****

On Friday, when they went to their ‘On Being a Tour Guide’ class, the students were given their instructions for their test tours and dismissed. Derek and Alex compared notes while the three ellyn looked on.

"I have a family of three kids, all under the age of ten," Alex said, glancing through his sheets. "Which means no snowmobiling."

"You don’t sound too upset," Derek commented.

"Too loud," Alex replied. "I find I like the quiet more and more the older I get."

Derek just snorted in amusement as he looked over his own sheets. "Well, it looks as if I’m in the same boat. I’ve got a family with a thirteen-year-old and another that’s nine, so snowmobiling is out for me as well. Not that I care. So, what do you want to do since we have the rest of the day free?"

Alex shrugged. "I think I’ll wait until tomorrow to tackle this stuff. Why don’t we go into town for lunch and then grab a movie? Not sure what’s playing, but whatever."

"Sounds like a plan," Derek allowed, shoving the papers back into the manila envelope. After dropping the envelopes off at their rooms, the two Mortals and three Elves went into town and had lunch at the café before heading over to the small cinema where they ended up watching Thor, which Derek said he’d seen when it came out earlier that year, though Alex had not. The Elves were mesmerized by the entire experience as they munched on popcorn, their eyes wide. It was doubtful that they understood everything that was going on in the movie, but they seemed to enjoy it nonetheless and when they were all leaving the theatre afterwards, the three of them were practically talking over each other, bombarding Alex and Derek with questions, many of which neither could adequately answer, not being conversant with how films were created or about the special effects.

"It seemeth... I mean, seems so real, yet you say it is all fake?" Elennen asked.

Alex and Derek nodded. "It’s called special effects," Derek explained. "A lot of stuff is done by computers these days, simulating reality."

"And you say that these... um... actors really did not get hurt?" Findalaurë asked.

"No. They are just pretending. It’s part of how they do the special effects, so when Thor ‘dies’ it’s not for real, it’s just make-believe," Alex supplied.

"We have nothing like this in Valinor," Elennen offered, "though we can weave pictures with our songs for others to see."

"Yeah, I’ve had some experience with that," Alex said somewhat sardonically. "Since humans don’t have that ability, we came up with film to tell our stories."

They reached his car and climbed in. "You know," Alex said to the Elves as he started the car, "with classes over, there’s no point you hanging around us. Derek and I are going to be pretty busy working out our tours over the next several days. Why don’t you plan to return to Edhellond? Otherwise, I think you’re going to be pretty bored just sitting around."

The ellyn glanced at each other and then shrugged almost as one. "What you say makes sense," Findalaurë admitted, ever the spokesman for the three of them. "We will return to Edhellond tomorrow after breakfast."

"I can drive you over," Alex offered, but Findalaurë shook his head.

"We will walk," he said. "It is not far."

"Suit yourselves," Alex rejoined as he made the corner and headed for the campus.

****

After breakfast the next morning, Findalaurë and his gwedyr bade Alex and Derek farewell, and, slinging duffle bags filled with clothes over their shoulders, headed out. They reached Edhellond in good time, and eschewing knocking, entered the mansion, surprised to hear shouting down the hall. Dropping their duffle bags by the door, they made their cautious way towards the back of the house. The shouting appeared to be coming from the kitchen. As they came nearer, they could make out individual words.

"Absolutely not! And no one else will either."

That was Lord Glorfindel, speaking English, Findalaurë realized.

"Oh? And why not, pray tell?"

Findalaurë recognized his atar’s voice. The three ellyn exchanged worried looks as they entered the kitchen to find it crowded with a number of Elves, some of the Wiseman Elves looking on with faint amusement, while the Valinórean Elves who were there all looked somewhat affronted. Glorfindel gave an exasperated sigh.

"You have no idea how dangerous driving can be, especially in the winter," he said. "No one here is daft enough to teach you how to drive with the snow up to here." He gestured with one hand, bringing it level to his waist. "You’ll just have to wait until spring."

"How are we to blend in with the Mortals around us if we must be carted about by you?" Finrod demanded.

"First of all, there aren’t enough of us to teach all of you how to drive," Glorfindel explained. "Second of all, I’m not sure it’s such a good idea anyway. None of you have any first hand knowledge of modern technology. You need time to assimilate yourself to this society. So, until I say otherwise, no driving lessons."

Finrod raised an eyebrow. "I do not recall thee ever giving me orders," he said with a sniff. "If anything, I was the one giving orders."

"And when we both resided in Aman, that was only right, for you outranked me," Glorfindel allowed with a nod, "but the situation is different here. Here, I’m the designated leader and you’re going to have to accept that, at least for now. Later, we can argue about who has precedence over the other, but for your own safety, you need to let me make the decisions. You think you’ve been prepared for life in Middle-earth again, but I can tell you right now, that is not the case."

"So far, mellon nîn, all thou hast ever said to any of our suggestions hath been ‘no’." That was Lord Erestor, lounging insolently at the breakfast nook. "Methinks thou hast taken thy role as our protector too far."

"Well, until you can all speak proper English, that’s just the way it has to be," Glorfindel shot back. "I cannot believe the Valar would do this to me, sending you lot without proper preparation. Do they think this is a game? We’re struggling to keep on the good side of the Mortals in this town and the last thing any of us needs is to give them more fuel for their prejudices. Not all of them welcome us with open arms, and they will see your arrival as a veritable invasion."

"Then what can we do?" one of the ellith said with a pout. It was the Lady Lindorillë, wife of Lord Erestor, Findalaurë noticed.

"We can all take a deep breath and a step back and realize that none of us is the Enemy here," Vorondur ventured. "Glorfindel is correct when he says you have little idea what life is like here and how precarious our situation truly is."

"How so?" Finrod demanded.

"With Richard Martina’s death, the entire dynamics of the college has changed," Glorfindel supplied. "The acting president, George Stillman, is not exactly enthusiastic about us, though he’s not overtly against us either." He sighed, closing his eyes. "Damn Richard for dying."

Findalaurë watched Lord Daeron place a comforting hand on Glorfindel’s arm.

"Thou art most upset over the death of this Mortal," Finrod said.

Glorfindel opened his eyes. "Richard was a dear friend and a staunch ally. His presence is sorely missed and our grief at his passing is still deep."

"But he was a Mortal," Nielluin protested and Findalaurë scowled (as he always did) at his cousin. "They die all the time. I don’t see why you need be so upset over the death of any of them."

Findalaurë noticed the Wiseman Elves giving his cousin disbelieving looks. Glorfindel’s expression went from disbelief to near rage and he uttered an oath that was quite vile, causing every ellith there to gasp in shock as he strode to the back door, flinging it open and storming out, slamming the door behind him.

The silence that ensued was awkward and fraught with much tension. Finrod scowled at Nielluin, who refused to back down. Findalaurë took a hesitant step forward. "A-atto?" he said.

For the first time it seemed that the others actually noticed the arrival of the three ellyn, for Finrod looked up, his expression one of surprise. "Finda, what are you doing here?" he said, opening his arms to allow his son to come forward to be embraced. Valandur and Laurendil did the same for the other two ellyn.

"Alex and Derek are working on their... their examination," Findalaurë explained. "They thought we should return here because there is nothing for us to do at the Academy with no more classes being held."

"I see," Finrod said. "And what hast thou learned this week past?"

Findalaurë grimaced, casting a dark look at Nielluin. "Well, certainly not to say stupid things about the Mortals."

Nielluin bristled and started to comment but Finrod cut her off. "Enough! Nielluin, I am deeply ashamed of thee. Thou hast shown thyself to be more haughty than I thought. Even thy mother, for all her faults, did not disparage the Mortals as thou hast. I am regretting letting thee come. If thou canst not find within thyself some compassion for others, thou shalt find thyself with few friends and many enemies."

"Your uncle speaks truly, child," Daeron said gravely. "And that goes for all of you, or at least, those of you who have had little or no congress with the Mortals before this. You little appreciate how truly precarious our position here is. We Wiseman Elves, as Alex and Derek like to call us, have survived as long as we have because we’ve learned to hide our true natures and to treat the Mortals around us with respect. Richard Martina was indeed a dear friend and while his death was inevitable, being a Mortal, still it was a shock and our grief remains great. You need to respect that and us. Many of you suffer from the same arrogance that the Noldor displayed when they first came to these shores, lording over us who had made Middle-earth our home. That attitude cannot and will not be tolerated here."

"And I concur," Finrod said, giving the loremaster a respectful bow. "I fear Glorfindel was correct. The Valar hath ill prepared us for life in Middle-earth as it is lived today. I do not know their reasoning but it matters little at the moment. We will be guided by you Wiseman Elves until we can safely move among the Mortals without fear of retaliation."

"That’s a wise decision," Vorondur said. "You’ve landed in the middle of a hornet’s nest of trouble and the outcome is unsure. Now, I’ll go see how Glorfindel is doing while you get these three settled." He turned to the three ellyn. "Do you wish to follow Alex and Derek when they do their actual tours?"

All three ellyn nodded. "It would be interesting to see how they do," Findalaurë replied. "I know Alex has no real wish to act as a guide but he continues to play the role of student and... and I find myself admiring him for it, knowing how much he hates it and wants to do other things." He gave them all a shy look, as if his admission would prove unwelcome to the others.

Finrod simply gave him a hug. "I will go with thee, Vorondur. My gwador hath need of me."

"We really need to get all of you up to speed on modern English," Amroth said with a smile. "I think we should begin holding classes for you all this weekend. We’ve been somewhat remiss."

"Do what thou thinkest best," Finrod said, then gestured to Vorondur and the two went out to the back garden where they found Glorfindel sitting on the patio, heedless of the snow. He had his arms wrapped around his knees and was rocking back and forth, staring into space. Even as Finrod and Vorondur approached, he spoke, never looking up.

"I refuse to apologize and I would appreciate it if you would just leave me alone."

"Not going to happen, my friend," Vorondur said, crouching easily on Glorfindel’s right even as Finrod did the same on his left. "I know you are in a lot of pain, and Nielluin’s words were thoughtless, but...."

"There’s always a but," Glorfindel sneered, still refusing to make eye contact with either of them.

"But you should not let her get to you," Vorondur said with a nod. "She’s naught but a child and a very uninformed one at that. I can see much of her mother in her. It’s a pity she didn’t take after Celeborn more."

Finrod snorted. "A great pity. I’ve done what I could to temper her but she is her mother’s daughter right enough. I am sorry for her words, gwador. They were indeed those of a thoughtless child. Now, as much as I hate to admit it, thou hast the right of it and we of Valinor are ill prepared for life here. So, please, come back inside and let us begin again. Amroth hath stated that he wisheth to hold classes whereby we will be taught proper speech. It gladdens me to hear my son speaking properly. His time with Alex and Derek hath paid off."

Glorfindel gave Finrod a puzzled look. "Your son? When...?"

"He and his gwedyr apparently heard our argument," Finrod said with a grin. "They have just returned from the Academy since there are no more classes for them to attend. They do wish to follow Alex and Derek when they do their tours, though."

"I guess something can be arranged," Glorfindel said, giving them a grimace as he unwound himself and started to stand up. "I really need to stop sitting in snow," he said as he attempted to brush the snow from his jeans.

Finrod and Vorondur stood up, grinning. "Come on," Vorondur said. "Let’s go inside and you can change while I help Amroth set up a schedule of classes. He’s right. We have been remiss, but we’ve been rather busy with teaching as well as seeing all of you settling in. Now that there are no more classes, we can concentrate on you more."

"And I think besides English classes we should probably give you a brief history lesson," Glorfindel said as the three made their way back inside. "You need to understand what has happened here over the millennia so you have a better idea of where the Mortals are coming from and why they are as they are today and not as you remember them from before."

"That sounds reasonable. Set up the classes and I will see that all attend," Finrod said. "Now, if you will excuse me, I wish to visit with my son and then I must needs devise a suitable punishment for Nielluin for her thoughtlessness."

Glorfindel gave him a knowing smile. "I can’t wait to see what you come up with."

"Neither can I," Finrod retorted with a wink and then left Glorfindel and Vorondur laughing as he went in search of his son.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List