Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Back to Middle Earth BINGO  by Dreamflower

B2MeM Challenge: O-64, Crossover1 (with one of Tolkien's other books); Hobbits, "The Lockholes"
Format: Ficlet
Title: Hope Is a Waking Dream
Genre: Crossover
Rating: G
Warnings: N /A
Characters: Fatty Bolger, Lórien, the Man-in-the-Moon
Pairings: N/A
Author's Notes: This is a crossover, LotR with Roverandom and The Silmarillion. I like to think that one way in which the Powers could help the peoples of Middle-earth was through the gift of rest and hope. And as for the Man-in-the-Moon, his realm (in my mind) encompasses and exceeds Arda, though his charges are any children who can see the Moon from whatever universe they dwell. It seemed possible to me that he might collaborate with Lórien to provide a respite for a weary prisoner. The title is a quote from Aristotle.
Summary: In dreams may sometimes come rest and surcease from sorrow...

Hope Is a Waking Dream

Fatty woke up feeling strangely refreshed. He had not had one of those dreams since he was a very young child; he never talked about those dreams, but they had always felt so real. He had been a child again, playing in a garden of silver and grey and white, under stars brighter than he'd ever seen before, but the only colour to be seen was a large blue and green moon... All those friends of his childhood whom he most missed were there: Frodo, Merry, Pippin—even Folco, which should have made him melancholy, but did not. They played and romped and leapt high in the air. They were being watched over by an old Man, who looked rather like Gandalf, but was not quite—and one who seemed remarkably like an Elf—but somehow Fatty knew he was not, he was more…

Even though he lay in filth on a hard dirt floor, his good mood remained, and he felt so hopeful. Something good was going to happen; these evil Men and their Lockholes could not endure. There was still beauty in the world outside these walls and high beyond the reach of the Ruffians, or even the Great Enemy who had been searching for Frodo. He drifted once more into sleep.

Lórien looked down at the peaceful smile on the face of the dreamer, and then to the one who sat beside him. "Thank you!"

The Man-in-the-Moon chuckled. "My garden is usually for children; adults cannot usually find their way here. But this one has a valiant spirit and a good heart and a great need to remember more innocent days…he is more than welcome."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List