Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Warriors Proud  by Ellie

“How can you not know what a day is?” Haldir demanded, his annoyance reaching new heights in spite of his weariness.

Sighing in exasperation, the elleth shook her head, pursing her lips. “I am sorry that I do not understand some of these words you use. Perhaps your folk have different names for things than do we. I have seen this before when we have met others who were long sundered from us.”

Haldir’s head ached fiercely. Gritting his teeth, he raised his head as much as he could, given his current physical condition, and explained very slowly as if speaking to a small child. “A day is the time which passes measured from when Anor rises in the east to when it rises in the east again.”

“Ahhh, I understand now,” she replied clearly relieved. “So, which star do you call Anor?”

Haldir let his head drop back onto his pillow and closed his eyes trying very hard to rein in his anger and frustration at this obviously unintelligent elleth whose lovely appearance and ability as a healer appeared to be her only redeeming qualities if this conversation were anything upon which to judge her.

“No star is called Anor!” He exclaimed

“Very well…” she drew out the words in her reply, her tone of voice betraying her obviously similar assessment of Haldir’s intellect. “So, what is an anor?”

Taking a deep breath and slowly letting it out again, Haldir opened his eyes and grumbled, “Anor is that big yellow light in the sky which is so bright that the stars are obscured.”

“Hmmm…I cannot think of any stars which cast so much light that they obscure other stars and certainly not any yellow stars which are so bright.”

“ANOR IS NOT A STAR!”

“Is anor a cloud or perhaps the flash of light which accompanies a storm?”

“NO! Are you insane? Have you completely taken leave of your senses?”

She raised her hands in an open helpless gesture, but then her face lit up and she moved her hands to his head, making a very thorough examination. “Perhaps you have a head injury of which I was previously unaware? Do you feel any pain when I touch your head here? Or perhaps here?”

“Oh, my head certainly pains me,” Haldir responded snidely.

“So your delirium is to be explained by a head injury then. I just do not see the place where you received the blow. When my adar returns from the hunt, I will ask him to look at you. Perhaps he can determine where your injury lies so I may better judge how to treat you. Until then, I think it would be best if you rested.”

Haldir swore vilely under his breath as she placed her hands on his back once again.

“Now that was rude and most uncalled for!” She exclaimed angrily.

Suddenly she started singing again, putting such force behind the healing words that Haldir fell asleep immediately, completely against his will.

***********

When Haldir woke again, it was to the sound of rain. Comforted by the gentle patter, he opened his eyes and saw the lilting dance of droplets on leaves. It was night time and he was home!

Delighted, he snuggled further into the furs on which he slept, reaching out with his fae to his beloved trees of home.

Something was very wrong. The trees recognized his kind, but not him. He had dwelt among them for five thousand years. How could they not know him?

He raised his head and looked around more carefully from where he lay on his stomach on the talan floor. From what he could see, the shape of the talan was correct. The sounds of the rain were correct. He rested his head on the pillow again as he reached out with his fae once more, then recoiled in shock.

Somehow the feel of, well of everything was wrong!

There was no sense of the Lady Galadriel’s power here, yet the air and the trees about him were filled with vibrant life. He cast about in his memory for something to compare it to. The wood did not feel like it did when King Amroth or even King Amdir ruled Lothlórien. Yet everything felt young and fresh. How could this be?

With some effort, he rolled over onto his back, then closed his eyes gasping at the newly awakened pain between his shoulders. Once he caught his breath, he opened his eyes and looked about again from this new perspective.

Someone had changed the ceiling. He liked the ceilings of the telain in Caras Galadhon. Why would someone want to use a ceiling like this one?

After Noldorin refugees from Eregion joined with the people of Lórien, they replaced the roofing used on telain with a more efficient design providing better shielding against the elements yet allowing for light and airflow. This ceiling which stared back at him now appeared to be a crude imitation of the oldest style he had ever seen.

There were no walls, just portable wind screens for privacy and for blocking the wind. There was nothing unusual about this. Only in Caras Galadhon did the Galadhrim build permanent walls on telain.

He noticed near the bole of the tree neat stacks of furs, plates, bowls, cups, pitchers, bows, quivers of arrows, some larger items wrapped in cloth, and four wooden chests like one might keep clothing in. Despite the lack of tables and chairs and even framed beds, everything about him was utilitarian. The opening to the ladder down to the ground must be on the other side of the bole from him for he did not see it.

So maybe this was not a settlement in Lórien with which he was familiar, but at least the people had the sense to love and respect the trees and dwell closely among them. This thought comforted him greatly, though he did not know why.

Raising his left arm as much as he could bear, he examined the bandage and flexed his fingers. Moving them did not hurt much though he could not yet completely straighten his arm without pain. At least he was healing. His back still hurt though.

Carefully rolling onto his right side, the pain in his back eased up. Haldir lay there for a time watching the rain drip on the leaves. Just as he started to doze off, he heard many voices approaching the tree from below. There was naught he could do but lie there, so he waited patiently as many voices drifted away and others grew louder. He heard the creaking of ropes as what he guessed were five people climbed up the ladder and entered his talan.

His guess proved correct as the elleth he remembered from before appeared, accompanied by three ellyn and another elleth – all with the silver hair and blue eyes of the Galadhrim.

“Greetings, friend Haldir,” one of the ellyn called as he bowed deeply along with the other two ellyn, then knelt beside Haldir. “I am Damrod Saelonion. Gilwen who has been tending you is my daughter. This is my adar Saelon. He is the chieftain of our settlement. This,” he gestured to the tallest of the three ellyn, “is my son Brethil.” Damrod briefly clasped hands with the other elleth, exchanging a loving glance with her. “And this is my wife Gwilwileth.”

Haldir inclined his head as best he could from where he lay. “Greetings to you,” he replied. “And thank you for your hospitality and for your aide.”

“You are most welcome. It is an honor to show hospitality to a friend or kinsman in need. Gilwen said you are of the Galadhrim as well and from a settlement called…Lothlórien?” Damrod said looking at Gilwen who nodded her approval.

“Yes,” Haldir answered, a feeling of concern creeping up his spine.

“Where is Lothlórien?” Lord Saelon asked.

“You…you are serious? You truly do not know?” Haldir was mortified.

The five Galadhrim shook their heads at him, their expressions blank.

The feeling of concern constricted Haldir’s chest. Choosing his words carefully, he answered, “Lothlórien lies on either side of the River Celebrant, extending eastward to the Anduin and westward almost to the foot of the Hithaeglir.”

“Ah, yes! We left those lands some time ago. It is good to hear that more of our kin have come to join us here,” Saelon replied joyfully. Grasping Haldir’s shoulder much as a comrade or an equal, he continued.

“I was bid to tell you that Angaril, Ferevellon, Fereveldir, Rúmil, and Orophin are recovering well from their injuries, though none are yet able to move about easily enough to visit with you. They all awoke in the last while and I had the opportunity to speak to each of them briefly.”

Haldir sighed heavily, offering a silent but deeply heartfelt prayer of gratitude to the Belain at the news that his brothers were with him and safe. He was equally relieved at the news of the survival of the twin sons of his lieutenant Thrandronen who had kept the watch in Lórien for him while he led troops in battle to Helm’s Deep. Angaril was a close friend of Haldir and his brothers and a highly skilled blacksmith when the need for warriors was not dire. His survival was a great blessing to Lórien and a great comfort to Haldir.

Saelon paused, smiling at Haldir’s reaction to the news.

“Your brothers – I can clearly see the family resemblance – and the other three all send their greetings and their relief at hearing that their…their captain is well. Are you their chieftain or perhaps a lord? Is that what captain means?”

Haldir stared at Lord Saelon in surprise turning to angry dismay. Surely he was not having this conversation! Had these folk no respect for the injured? He had nearly died and yet they were jesting with him when he needed facts and…and answers and to heal and news of the battle and…and most of all, he just wanted to go home!

Saelon withdrew his hand, sitting back, his expression guarded and serious. “I have offended you. Please forgive me. Long have we been isolated from those of our folk who stayed behind in the trees by the Anduin. Little news travels to us here. Those families tending your comrades in their homes also have encountered words we did not recognize. I ask your patience, friend – Captain Haldir, as we strive to discover and overcome the differences which seek to obscure our similarities. And please, so that I may better understand and accord you the proper respect due your station, tell me what captain is.”

The apology of this obviously backward ellon seemed sincere enough that Haldir let go of some of his ire as he explained. “Captain is the highest rank accorded one who leads warriors into battle. The position is earned and is bestowed by one’s lord. It is a position of authority and respect and great responsibility.”

The group of elves looked at each other hesitantly curious, then Saelon ventured meekly, “Warriors?”

Haldir sighed wearily, giving as simple of an explanation as he could. “People who are specially trained in fighting. Their job is to protect and defend their homes at all times under orders from their lord.”

“Ahhhh! Now I understand! Yes, yes I could see where a settlement might have need of –” Saelon paused, obviously straining to recall the proper word, “warriors. That is grave news indeed that the lands we left are now so unsafe that ellyn who fight and defend all the time are needed there. Here all of our ellyn and ellith defend our settlement at need. We are all skilled with the bow. It was dangerous where we lived before, so we crossed the mountains and came here as you did. There is still some danger here as well, but not as much as we encountered before.”

Regarding the ellon shrewdly, Haldir noted no deceit or malice in Saelon’s eyes. Yet how could anyone have so much difficulty with such simple words? And to which mountains was he referring? The Misty Mountains? To his knowledge there were no Galadhrim living across the mountains outside of Imladris, Mirkwood, and Lórien. Exactly where had these people taken him? And how? And why?

“Tell me, Captain Haldir,” now it was Saelon’s turn to regard shrewdly. “Why did you leave Lothlórien? Was it ruined by creatures of the greater darkness? Did all of the folk of your settlement decide to make the journey across the mountains and you were the only survivors? What happened to your people?”

“What?!” Haldir replied irritated and not a little offended. “I told you, well I told her,” he gestured to Gilwen. “I led two hundred warriors from Lothlórien into battle at Helm’s Deep. Lothlórien is fine and my people are safe. We marched to lend aid to others who were in need. I have no idea how I came to be here nor where the rest of my ellyn are. But I demand –”

“Captain!” Damrod interrupted, holding up a stern hand, silencing Haldir. “You are in no position to demand anything. You are a guest in my home. Now, I see no deceit in your eyes nor in your heart, but I do not believe all that you have said. You were not provisioned for a journey of as many turns of the stars as it takes to travel from Anduin to here. There is little to no news which ever travels between our kindred there and here. The way is long and arduous and fraught with peril which is why so many of our folk stayed behind beside the Anduin as you should well know.”

Chagrined, Haldir bit back retorts welling up within him. “I swear I have told you the truth about myself. I apologize for my anger and impatience. I am very frustrated and in pain. Perhaps I will understand you better if you tell me at least where I am now.”

Saelon nodded courteously in acknowledgement of the apology and replied. “You are many leagues from the Anduin across the mountains in Celos Galen.”

“I have never heard of Celos Galen. What country or land is it in?” Haldir asked wearily.

The group looked at each other warily in great concern and alarm as Saelon the chieftain calmly replied, “Why it is in Beleriand of course.”

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Fae – spirit

Telain – plural of talan

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List