Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Warriors Proud  by Ellie

 Haldir was quite willing to take back everything he had thought about Melian’s scrutiny being similar to that of the Lady Galadriel. Once the six from Lothlórien were alone with Melian, Haldir realized that the queen was much more like Mithrandir, only more open about using her power. With a thoroughness he found both awe-inspiring and shocking, the Maia laid bare the thoughts and memories of the ellyn. All six were panting and trembling by the time she finished with them. Melian though seemed quite relaxed, reclining peacefully in a comfortable chair and calling for wine, cheese, and fruit for her guests.

“I understand you far better now,” she said, raising her glass to the ellyn. “I realize it was uncomfortable for you, but I needed to understand you and your situation.”

Haldir and his comrades nodded in reply as they cautiously sipped their drinks, their hands shaking uncontrollably.

With a compassionate smile, she continued, “I am delighted to know that children of my beloved Lúthien will still dwell among the stars in your time as well. And I must admit that I look forward to meeting the Lady Galadriel when she comes here. It seems as if she will be an apt pupil indeed! You all hold her in such high regard, and to think that she learned her abilities from me!” A gloriously musical laugh escaped her, making them all feel very much at ease and completely captivated by her mere presence.

“You can trust me to keep your secrets safe. I will only share what I deem necessary when I deem it necessary. Though, I admit that it grieves me greatly to think that these lands will sink beneath the waves one day. You do not know exactly when that will happen from our current point in time, and that does give me some comfort.” She sighed beautifully like wind dancing through willows. “I do intend to speak to Thingol about establishing march wardens to guard our borders. I would protect our lands as long as I possibly can. Would you be willing to help us?”

Haldir stared too enraptured to eat, wishing she would just keep speaking so he could hear her lovely voice, but not demand anything taxing of him such as a spoken response. He could so easily believe that she had taught the nightingales to sing and thoroughly understand how Elu Thingol could have lost himself so completely in her mere presence so as to lose years of his life just staring into her eyes while a forest grew around them.

“Haldir?”

Again that delightful laugh bubbled forth.

“Haldir!”

Reluctantly the ellon blinked and looked sluggishly about.

“Perhaps I was harder on you than I had intended to be,” She looked on each of the six, then shook her head, giving them all a sympathetic smile. “I believe it was too much for you enduring my scrutiny twice in so short a time. Forgive me, but it was necessary.”

Rising to her feet, she called for blankets and pillows, ordering servants to assist her helpless guests in lying down. Once the ellyn rested comfortably on the floor, she walked among them, a song lilting from her lips and seemingly from the air itself, filling the meeting room with such refreshing yet joyous splendor that liquid tranquility seemed to drip and echo from the walls. Never before had Haldir known such comfort and utterly contented peace as he did listening to her song. As his eyes closed, he promised himself he would never move again if she would just continue singing.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

It took two turns of the stars to get the refugees settled in temporary living quarters. Soon Mablung would be testing Haldir and the warriors and then guides would be sent out with ellyn of the Galadhrim to help find a suitable settlement for their people. For now though, Haldir and his five companions needed the extra time to rest and recover from Melian’s scrutiny before they finally faced Mablung.

“I do not like walls,” Gilwen complained as she removed Haldir’s splint. “No matter how beautiful they are and how much they are made to resemble trees, they are still rock and stone.”

“I rather like them. The detail of the carving and the beauty is remarkable,” Haldir disagreed, gesturing to the carvings surrounding them. “Perhaps you will appreciate the privacy afforded by walls once you have had the chance to live with them for a time.”

“Nonsense,” she dismissed the idea while unwrapping his hand.

He elected not to comment further for she seemed to be in an ill mood, most likely from the pregnancy, and he knew better than to try to argue with her when she was like this.

Carefully she turned the limb examining it by the light of many candles. After the third time of turning his hand and regarding it from different angles, she whispered, “How?”

He raised an eyebrow at her in question, but she ignored him.

“How did you…?” She sighed in frustration, setting his hand down then picking up the other one and looking at it, then holding both and comparing the two. “All right, Haldir, tell me what happened.”

“What?” Haldir looked at her in confusion.

“This!” she held up the hand she had unsplinted. “Explain now.”

Haldir calmly took a deep breath and stared at his hand and then up at her for she towered over him as he sat on the bed in their chambers. “What? It is my hand.”

“Yes,” She gritted her teeth. “But how is it healed? Did that beautiful elleth you keep going on about do it? Did her pretty daughter dance for you? Or in all of her lovely perfection, did that queen sing you a nice song of healing and finish the job your wife had started?” 

“Perhaps… ah…” he thought for a moment. “Her daughter is the most beautiful child of Eru ever born, but, no, she was not there. I truly do not know. I was so weary after the questioning that I fell asleep when Queen Melian started singing to me. It was such a lovely song. Did you know that it is said that she taught the nightingales to sing?”

“Oh did she now?” Gilwen spat, squeezing his hand rather harder than necessary. “So she sang to you like a little bird and you were so inspired that you took a little nap to refresh yourself?”

“I would not say that she sang like a bird. I am not entirely certain, but it might have been a song of power.”

“A what?! Is that so? So you think her songs are powerful? And what of those of your wife? Or does it not matter all of the times I have healed you and sung to you as well? Was there no power in my song? Never did you go on about what I sang to you.”

Haldir looked into her eyes, seeing fire and much danger there. But why? Why was she reacting this way? Why was she so upset? Perhaps she did not understand.

“A song of power uses special words and tunes to cast a spell. I believe that your healing chants are likely a form of songs of power,” he explained brightly.

“You believe…” she said faintly. Dropping his hand which she had been squeezing so hard his fingers were turning purple, she turned away. Taking a few deep breaths, she turned back to him and demanded, “Take off your clothes.”

“What?” he asked again, caught completely off guard. “I would not have thought that you would be inclined to ah…gather firewood given your present mood,”  He removed his belt and reached up to start unlacing his shirt, “but ah…if you insist…” He gave her his best seductive look and she smacked him squarely in the face with a pillow, knocking him over backward, effectively stunning him. 

“You are such an idiot! Turn over!” Skillfully, she flipped him over onto his stomach and yanked up his shirt. Running her fingers along his back, she probed several places.

She swore in a soft incredulous voice. “They are all…even the bruises where you last fell…and the cracked ribs…” suddenly she gasped. “Even the scar on your back…How…how?”

“What?” he asked again, treading carefully lest he misinterpret her meaning and get hit in the face again.

“The scar…it…it is gone!” she exclaimed.

Haldir reached around twisting his arms over his shoulders and around his ribs trying to feel the path the scar used to follow on his back. “Interesting! It is gone!”

Gilwen flipped him back over and leaned over him menacingly as he stared up into her face once again. “Exactly what went on in the questioning and during your so-called ‘nap’ afterward? Did you take off your clothes for her so she could heal you?”

Staring open-mouthed, Haldir gibbered a few times trying to figure out what to say so that she would calm down. “I…I do not know what happened. She looked into my mind and heart. The whole experience exhausted me.”

“Your mind and heart?” Gilwen asked contemptuously. “How dare you! I thought your heart was mine!” With that she picked up the pillow and smacked him a few more times (fortunately he was prepared enough this time to wrap his arms around his head and protect his face).

After one last swat, she screamed, “And you can keep your cursed walls!” Then she hurled the pillow at a tapestry and stormed out of the chambers, slamming the door behind her.

Lying on the bed for several moments, Haldir remained still in case she returned. When she did not, he carefully lowered his arms and sat up. He swore then asked himself aloud, “What just happened?” 

Gracefully he arose, straightened and belted his tunic, then blew out the candles and headed out to find her.

Wandering through the labyrinth of corridors, he made his way out of the caves, pondering the situation all the while. Why was she so angry at him? He had told her the truth about all that had transpired in his visit with the king, his meeting with the queen; all that he saw and heard. What had he done to anger her so?

Near the bridge by the cave entrance, he espied her speaking to a fisherman, and he started to approach, but stopped dead in his tracks. Listening intently, he distinctly heard her bargaining with the young ellon, trying to purchase a freshly caught fish, preferably one still squirming, “as a gift for her dear husband”.

With that, he turned on his heel and sped back into the caves. He knew beyond all doubt he was in serious trouble now and he had no desire to go meet with Mablung with a face full of stitches resulting from a fish attack.

Perhaps his brethren or even Galadin would succor him until her mood passed.

If only he knew what he had done wrong…

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

As fortune would have it, the very first ellon of the Galadhrim whom Haldir encountered upon re-entering Menegroth was Galadin. Certainly he could help with this whole ridiculous situation with Gilwen.  After all, he was Galadin the wise, Galadin the patriarch of a very large family, Galadin the warrior, and, most recently, Galadin the confused and hopelessly lost, wanderer of corridors in this deep expanse of caves.

Shaking his head in amusement, Haldir called to his friend, “Galadin! Walk with me, my brother, and I will lead you back to someplace you recognize.”

“That would be a welcome feat indeed for none of this looks familiar to me!” Galadin exclaimed in great relief. “Please take me back to Celos Galen where I know every limb of every tree and every tree is actually a tree and not a rock carved to look like such.”

Haldir chuckled, “I wish that as well, but we both know that can never be. I do hope you will join us when we seek out lands and trees for our new home.”

“You know I will be there. I would not miss that opportunity for anything,” Galadin grinned, clapping Haldir on the back. “I wish to know in my heart that the trees and land accept us and welcome us so that we may dwell in the bliss we knew for so long in Celos Galen.”

They walked for at time in silence, with Haldir easily navigating the corridors. Galadin was very lost indeed, though Haldir was not going to tell him that.

After a few minutes of purposeful walking, Galadin gazed on him shrewdly, “Captain, how is it that you are so comfortable in caves such as these? Do not tell me that you have wandered cave dwellings before as well.”

“All right then, I will not tell you.” He would much rather not have to have this particular conversation anyway and get on to discussing his wife.

“So, where did you find such a dwelling of elves?”

Obviously Galadin would not let him off so easily. “Near Lothlórien far to the East. 

“So tell me then, good Captain who apparently has experienced everything in the world at least once before ever coming to Celos Galen… whatever did you find in our quaint, quiet little village to intrigue so that you stayed among us and did not grow bored from our lack of new things to introduce you to?”

Haldir chuckled nervously, bowing his head to hide his flushed cheeks and decidedly not looking at Galadin.

“Ah, I see,” Galadin nodded sagely, then burst out laughing, the echo of his merriment bouncing off the walls, surrounding them with joy. When he finally calmed, he asked, “So where is your ‘bit of intrigue’ now? Is she settling in or is the pregnancy making her restless for a secure home in the trees?”

“Something is making her restless, that is for certain,” Haldir confessed.

Galadin nodded again. “Suddenly I do not think that your coming to my rescue in the cave had as much to do with happenstance as it did you seeking me out.” He glanced over at Haldir who nodded, feeling a little ashamed.

Clapping him on the back, he prodded, “So, tell me, my son, what troubles you?  What has Gilwen said or done or, perhaps it might be more appropriate – given the many ennin I have known you – for me to ask what you have said or done.”

Haldir looked over at him helplessly. “In truth, I have no idea what I have said or done to upset her, but she is furious with me.”

“Forgive me, but you rarely seem to know what you have done wrong to anger her. Why do you not tell me all that happened and all that you said and I will judge as best I can how to help you once again.” Galadin grinned knowingly.

Giving a enormous sigh of relief, Haldir smiled gratefully and began his tale. By the time he finished, Galadin was shaking his head, not even bothering to try to hide the huge grin on his face. When the overly amused ellon stopped chuckling, he took Haldir’s arm and drew him to a halt at a turn in the corridor.

“Oh, my son, my son. I cannot believe you said those things to her and still cannot understand why she is so angry with you.” Galadin laughed some more, then put forth an obvious effort to school his expression to something more compassionate. “I would have thought after all of these ennin of dwelling with your wife among our folk that you would have figured out that our ellith are a very jealous lot. Yes, they are lusty and feisty and strong, but they are also very jealous.”

Haldir stared blankly at the wise patriarch, wondering what that last comment had to do with Gilwen’s current anger. But Galadin just shook his head again, grasping both of Haldir’s shoulders so he no choice but to look the patriarch in the eyes.

“Son, you had such awe and smitten admiration in your voice as you spoke to me of these Sindar. If you had the same when you spoke to her, do you not think that she would have been upset by this, wondering how she could ever compare to such glorious ellith?”

Haldir was still very puzzled. “But why should she ever compare herself to such? These two ellith are legendary: Melian with her enchanting voice which taught nightingales to sing, and the unrivaled beauty of Lúthien who easily is the most beautiful elleth to ever live. Songs will be sung of them for thousands of years and indeed are sung of them even now. And have you heard Daeron sing and seen Lúthien dance for him yet? It is awe-inspiring.”

“And you also told your plump pregnant wife, who grows more clumsy and weary each turn of the stars with the added weight of the unborn, how graceful they are as well and that you could thoroughly understand why Thingol would be willing to stand for a hundred years, or however long you said it was, completely enchanted by Melian’s own exotic loveliness.”

“Yes, of course I did. Again, the tale is legend and we are among the legendary. Does that not inspire you as well?”

Galadin sighed, then pursed his lips. “Haldir, I believe your wife is correct that you are an idiot. Why can you not see that speaking with such complete adoration of these people is upsetting your wife? In her mind, there is no way she can compete with their loveliness and gracefulness and greatness.”

Haldir’s own gaze never faltered, matching Galadin’s. “But why would she even try to equal them? It is not possible for Queen Melian is a Maia – not even an elf and Lúthien is part Maia– again not a full-blooded elf. I do not want my wife to be what they are. I want her to be what she is and has always been, but I do stand in awe of them.”

“Ah, but she does not know that? All she sees from your ravings is how great and glorious they are and how great and glorious she obviously is not.”

“But why?” Haldir cried in exasperation. “Why does she think this? No one in history – even through to the Third Age will ever compare to them save Arwen Undómiel and she will be comparable to Lúthien only, not Melian. Why would any elleth in her right mind think to compare herself to them?”

Galadin looked very confused. “What are you talking about? Third Age? Undómiel? Have you been sampling the fine wines here? Have you completely recovered from your head injury? You are not making any sense. What exactly did that queen do to you when she held you in her scrutiny? I think you need to see a healer.”

Haldir gaped, cursing as he bowed his head, mentally kicking himself for forgetting where and when he was. Galadin was so like a father and brother to him that he completely forgot that he did not share the same history. And even worse, he had forgotten that his wife, who was so much a part of him in every way, did not share that history either. NO WONDER she did not understand what he had found so awe-inspiring and captivating about the whole experience of seeing Melian and Lúthien and…and being HERE in Doriath!

Moving out of Galadin’s grasp, Haldir turned and banged his forehead against the nearest wall a few times, asking under his breath, “Dear Eru, what have I done? I am such an idiot! What have I done?”

He stood for a few minutes breathing hard with his forehead pressed against the cool stone when Galadin grasped his arm and turned him, taking him into a fatherly embrace. “My son, whatever did you do in Lórien with no adar and without me to guide you? It is a wonder you survived at all.”

Haldir rested his chin on Galadin’s shoulder, whimpering, “What have I done, Galadin? What have I done?”

Galadin patted him on the back. “Child, it is not too late. Go to your wife and tell her how much you love her. Remind her of how beautiful she is and how that beauty is made all the greater by the children she carries within her. Tell her you are in awe of this strange, unnatural place and it has confused and addled your mind. Then tell her you miss the trees and the simplicity of Celos Galen and the joy of being surrounded by ellith of the Galadhrim, for their beauty is more tantalizing than the exotic foreign wonders on display here. Beg for her forgiveness and promise her that when the new village is built, your family’s talan will be the furthest from Menegroth.”

Patting Galadin on the back, Haldir leaned out of the embrace and clapped him on the arms. “Thank you, my friend. I do not know what I would do without you. Thank you!”

Smiling, he patted Haldir’s arms in return as they turned to resume the search for Galadin’s chambers. “And if your wife does not readily forgive you, you can sleep on the floor in my room.”

When Haldir looked at him enquiringly, reminding the ellon that he had two sons and two daughters of his own who might take him in, Galadin elaborated. “I do not believe that your sons and daughters will side with you on this one. Most likely they will feel that you deserve whatever punishment your wife chooses to mete out, and, quite frankly, I would agree with them on that one, if I were one of them. Fortunately for you, I understand how your mind works and fails to work at times, so I take pity on you in this instance as I have in the many others which we have discussed over the years. ”

Haldir shrugged guiltily, then gestured down the corridor. “I believe our chambers are this way, Adar. If you will follow me please.”

“Gladly, my wayward son, gladly.”  And Galadin’s laugh echoed off the walls as they walked.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List