Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Warriors Proud  by Ellie

Author's Note: I apologize for the delay in posting this week. I am sick (finally got some new meds so maybe I will finally get well, yay) and also am insanely busy moving into a new house and not to meniton that it is also Thanskgiving! This is the chapter many have been waiting for. Hope you enjoy it!

********************

Lowering the sheathed sword and the quiver of arrows from his shoulders and propping his long bow up against a tree, Haldir sighed.  His discussion with Gilwen had not gone as badly as he feared it would. She at least let him stay in their chambers so he did not have to sleep on the floor at Galadin’s. It took many promises and much apologizing to win her forgiveness, but in the end he received it, much to his relief.  Now he just had to win over Mablung who seemed to have already decided that he did not like Haldir. 

All of the warriors joined their captain in the “trial” to prove their worth to Mablung. Unfortunately, it appeared that Mablung and the other members of the king’s guard were not the only ones curious about the concept of “warriors” for most of the nobles, including the ellyn of the royal family, turned out to watch as well. Haldir had faced this in Celos Galen, so he did not feel that intimidated though most of his warriors seemed nervous at all of the attention they were receiving. What did shock him though was the presence of one young silver-haired, blue-eyed prince standing among the ellyn of the kin of Thingol’s younger brother Elmo. A most interested Prince Celeborn stood with his adar Galadhon watching intently every move the warriors made.

Having served Celeborn for so many ennin, Haldir had great difficulty keeping himself focused on the tasks at hand. Apparently he was not the only one having such difficulty.

“It is difficult to think that he was ever that young, is it not?” Angaril whispered as he moved to Haldir’s side and bent his bow to string it.

“Indeed it is,” Haldir replied out of the corner of his mouth. “He cannot possibly be more than two or three ennin old.”

Rúmil joined them as did the others from Lórien forming a ring as they prepared themselves. “Do you also find it disturbing seeing a Lord Celeborn who is likely younger than your eldest sons?”

“He was always the eldest among our folk in Lórien. It is almost creepy to see him this way. It is as if I am seeing the son he should have had and did not,” Ferevellon quietly added.

“We probably should stop staring at him. He keeps giving us odd looks.” Orophin cautioned. “We do not want anyone asking us questions about our interest in the young prince.”

“Well, if they do ask, we simply say that we have never seen so many princes before and stand in awe of them,” Haldir advised.

“But Adar, that makes us sound so ignorant,” Taurion protested in an equally soft voice, coming up to join them. “Why should we let these folk lord it over us? Why do we not show them who truly is superior? I have heard so many ill comments against us for our dwelling among the trees in our forest. They believe us to be simple, ignorant, backward fools!” He paused, glaring back every inch at his adar who was giving his best “disapproving adar” look. “I will not be made the fool and I resent the fact that they judge us so when they know nothing of us.”

Captain Haldir coldly addressed his warrior son, “Taurion, you will do what you are told when you are told. You will not be arrogant nor will you mock. If they fail against us, you will do nothing disrespectful in acknowledgement of it, and if they prevail against us, then you will show them the proper respect due a worthy opponent. Do I make myself clear, or do you need to be dismissed to return to chambers immediately?”

A red-faced Taurion drew himself proudly to attention. “I will obey you, Captain. I apologize for my outburst and will follow your lead and your orders in this.”

“Good. You had better or so help me I will chose you to spar against with the sword and humiliate you before all assembled here. Now go assemble with the warriors so we may begin.”

“Yes, Sir!” Taurion replied through gritted teeth as he turned on his heel and marched away.

“His arrogance will get him into trouble some day,” Haldir sighed.

“Not that you would know anything about that, my Captain,” Rúmil cheekily replied as he and the other four went off to take their places among the warriors.

As soon as the troops were assembled in formation, Haldir strode forward to address the ellyn of Doriath.  As he neared, he distinctly heard Mablung commenting to King Thingol loudly enough for all to hear, “So they can stand up straight in neat equal rows. How quaint.”

“Silence,” the king commanded. “We will give them the opportunity to prove themselves. My queen tells me that we will need warriors and march wardens, and I would know the value of them before using such in my kingdom.”

“Yes, your majesty,” Mablung conceded with a courteous bow of his head, though the look on his face did nothing to hide his belief that Haldir was wasting their time.

Haldir began by barking orders, putting his warriors through a series of drills. The king looked on approvingly at the obvious discipline required for such things, but Mablung remained unimpressed.

“They seem to walk together well and do the same thing at the same time together well, but that hardly makes them remarkable,” one of the lords commented.

“Why do they wear their hair braided so strangely and with such baubles in them? It seems ridiculous and almost like something a child or a maiden would do,” someone else said.

Almost as one, all of the warriors stopped and looked over at that. Haldir was shocked to discover that the speaker was Prince Celeborn. How dare he say something so insulting! Anger began to boil, but the captain stamped it down, reminding himself that this was a very naive Celeborn, younger than at least one of his own sons and not yet the wise and noble ellon he would call Lord.

“My lords,” Haldir responded, keeping his voice calm and cool. “Wearing our hair in this manner is both a privilege and an honor. It is the badge that shows that we are warriors. A warrior earns the right to wear these braids the first time he makes a kill in combat. The pattern of the braid and beading is unique to the land where a warrior lives and defends. Besides, the braids hold our hair out of our eyes during fighting more efficiently than a single braid down the back.”

Not bothering to wait for a reply, Haldir turned back to his soldiers, ordering them to draw swords and pair off for sparring. In unison, the warriors reached over their shoulders and drew their blades, then joined their sparring partner and began to duel in earnest. Many of the spectators nodded in approval and even Mablung seemed impressed by the display.

“So, what kind of weapons are these exactly? I have never seen their like,” Thingol asked. “They look as if they should be clumsy to swing, buy that obviously is not the case.”

“They are two-handed swords, however they are wielded almost as a combination battle-axe and sword for the sweeping arcs and slicing potential these weapons provide,” Haldir explained. “They are excellent for close range encounters as you can see.”

“I am impressed with the fluidity of stroke and ease of movement the weapon provides,” Mablung commented.

The winner from each pair joined with another winner and the dueling began again with the “losers” moving away to stand and watch. After a while, the remaining winners consisted only of the five from Lórien.

“Captain, you appear to have an odd number remaining. Whatever will you do?” another lord asked, mild mockery in his voice.

Haldir smiled knowingly as he drew his own sword. “Now it is my turn to take part.”

Then the fighting truly commenced. The entire audience stood in appreciative awe as the six clashed before them, swords flashing in a blur of movement and precision. It took fifteen minutes before the first warrior was eliminated. After another five minutes, only Haldir, Angaril, and Ferevellon remained.

“Impressive,” the first lord commented. “But you seem to have an odd number again, ‘Captain’.” Haldir’s title was spoken with just a hint of derision.

Shaking out his newly healed left arm, which was still weak from lack of use, the captain surveyed the crowd. Prince Celeborn was very clearly impressed as were the other royals and this pleased Haldir immensely.

“Thank you, my lord…”

“Saeros,” the lord supplied.

It figured, Haldir thought. The ellon was an ass to elves as well as to mortals, remembering the tale of Turin Turambar dueling with the elf. “Thank you, my Lord Saeros, for pointing out this inequality to me,” Haldir said graciously. Being chased naked through the forest, pursued by an angry mortal would indeed be a suitable punishment for the annoying ellon.

Nodding to the two remaining warriors, Haldir raised his sword, then paused and turned to the crowd. “I beg your indulgence for my left arm is still quite weak as I further recover from a broken wrist. My splint was only removed one turn of the stars ago, so I readily admit I am not at my best. I hope you will forgive my performance.”

As he turned to face his opponents again, comments rattled among the crowd about how the captain obviously was going to be beaten. Haldir smiled in gratitude for the fuel they provided his anger, then raised his sword and the battle commenced with both Angaril and Ferevellon attacking Haldir at the same time. After another fast and furious fifteen minutes, Haldir ended the fight by disarming Ferevellon and then pinning Angaril to a tree with his sword at the ellon’s throat.

The other warriors cheered as did the royals and many of the lords. Mablung clapped as well, nodding his head in approval.

“And you are not at your best at this time?” Prince Galadhon asked incredulously once the crowd grew quiet again.  “I saw your splint and Queen Melian told us that she sped the healing of the bones and sinews. So exactly how would you be fighting if you were at your strongest and best?”

Haldir pursed his lips in thought, but his brother Rúmil answered for him, “He would have taken on four of us from the last group which fought and still would have won.”

“Is this a common practice for one warrior to battle many opponents at the same time?” Celeborn asked obviously intrigued.

“It is for us six for battling only one opponent is not as much of a challenge for us. When a warrior is in battle with orcs or other creatures of the darkness, he may face many opponents at the same time and needs to be able to defend himself accordingly. Our other warriors usually only fight two opponents at a time, perhaps three at the most for they are not yet as skilled as we six though each individual is a worthy opponent in his own right.” 

“Why are you six different?” Celeborn asked.

“We trained in a land far to the East where orcs and other foul creatures harassed our folk for thousands of years before we ever came west and settled in Celos Galen,” Ferevellon replied.  “We trained all of the warriors there and in the other two nearby settlements as well.”

“What other skills do warriors possess besides being able to fight with close range weapons such as these swords?” Thingol asked

“We train at wrestling, strategic planning for defense and attack where we study the terrain and the tactics potential enemies may use against us, archery, tracking, hunting, and being the hunted,” Galadin replied, stepping forward much to Haldir’s approval. “For the Galadhrim, hunting and tracking and making best use of our surroundings to hide and attack are of very great importance. In fact, good sirs, if you do not mind and if our Captain will allow it, we the warriors trained by Captain Haldir and his brethren from Lothlórien would like to be the ones to demonstrate the prowess of warriors to you. They have thousands of years of experience but we have only a few ennin of fighting and training behind us. We would have you know what their training could do for you as well.”

Thingol turned to his chief protector. “What do you think, Mablung?”

Mablung glanced at the warriors surreptitiously, then nodded to his king. “I think it will not be nearly as interesting, but the demonstration certainly will be much briefer for they obviously are not very skilled, and we may well be able to return to the hall in time for the next meal.”

“Melian tells me they are all worth watching for however long it takes, so I am willing to wait for my meal in the hopes that they will show me all that they are worth,” Thingol replied. “I am impressed with what I have seen so far. Perhaps, Mablung, if some of my guard were to demonstrate prowess alongside them, it would give me a better gauge of how much you deem they have yet to learn.”

Mablung nodded, grinning confidently. “Gladly, my King, gladly.” Waving his hand and gesturing, four members of the guard stepped forward and strung their bows.

“Perhaps, Captain Haldir, you would like a test of archery first?”

“Gladly, good sir,” Haldir courteously replied then turned to his warriors and intentionally chose four of the youngest warriors including his own son Handir.

Young Handir gestured toward the targets which were being set up one hundred paces away. “Would you please do us the honor of going first to show us what is expected of a guard of the king?”

Mablung nodded and his men took the first round, all of them repeatedly hitting the center of the targets with ease as they emptied their quivers. Haldir’s soldiers all expressed their admiration for the well-placed arrows while the ellyn of Doriath cheered.

Smiling brazening, Lord Saeros asked, “So tell me, young warriors, why do you carry such ridiculously long bows? Why they are nearly as long as you are tall! Will you use them to strike out at those who stand too close to you perhaps? Or, because you seem to favor weapons which have the function of two weapons in one, perhaps you will use them as spears and throw them at the targets as well as try to shoot with them!” He laughed at his own jest as did many others in the crowd.

Young Handir smiled good naturedly at the taunts. “I must admit that I have only considered throwing my bow in frustration when it took me a great many turns of the stars to grow strong enough to string it and then many more to draw it appropriately.”  Fitting an arrow to the string, he drew it back, matching stance and draw with his other three companions. The four held their draws for a few moments, then lowered their bows, exchanging glances and shaking their heads. 

Turning to face the crowd, Handir asked in a timid voice, ringing with uncertainty, “My lords, would you please allow us to move the target? We just…” he looked over at his adar nervously and received an encouraging nod. “I am afraid we are not comfortable practicing with targets at this range.” 

Amidst many snickers from the crowd, Mablung grinned triumphantly, replying, “Why certainly, young ones.” He motioned for the targets to be brought closer.

“Oh, no! My lord, please, you misunderstand me!” Handir cried, handing off his bow and waving his hands to stop the targets from being moved closer. “No, my lord. Please, please could you have them moved farther away? Our arrows will go straight through the targets at the range where your archers so finely shot.”

“You want them moved farther away?” Mablung glared dubiously. “Do you children truly wish to humiliate yourselves in front of us all?”

“No, my lord, not at all. We merely wish to spare the fletching on our arrows. We worked very hard to make them and do not wish to damage them.”

Mablung shook his head and motioned for the targets to be moved farther away. The servants moving the targets stopped after twenty-five more paces back.

Handir and his companions gave disbelieving yet apologetic looks and one called out, “Farther please.”

After two more attempts, one of the four loudly requested one hundred and fifty more paces.

As the targets were set and the servants moved a safe distance away, Prince Celeborn exclaimed, “There is no way your arrows could possibly even come close to reaching targets that far away let alone hit them or even strike with any accuracy! Why do you mock us when you should be trying to prove your worth to us? You claim to study strategy, but this is the most foolish thing you could have done and in the presence of the King no less! How dare you insult us so!”

Many in the crowd loudly agreed, but Thingol called for silence and addressed the four. “Children, do you truly understand how important this demonstration of skills is to your acceptance here in Doriath?”

The four turned to Haldir with pleading expressions of confusion and hurt on their faces, clearly wondering what they had done wrong.

Their captain irritably responded, “I chose these four, though they are the youngest of my warriors, for I have every confidence in their capabilities. If I had any doubt in their skills in archery or in their judgment, I would not have asked them to shoulder the responsibility of demonstrating before you all a warrior’s prowess with a bow. Every one of them has shot this far and farther and nearer at hand in combat as well as in practice. Please show them the respect that you showed the archers from Doriath.”

Silence hung in the air as Thingol nodded and gestured for the shooting to begin.

Each of the four stood proudly, drawing and loosing arrow after arrow until their quivers were empty and each target was covered with intricate images of leaves made entirely of intentionally placed arrows. After the last arrow struck, the crowd from Doriath exploded in cheers of congratulations and shouts of approval. Haldir and the edair of the other three warriors stepped forward and patted their sons on the shoulders while the other warriors grinned proudly.

When the noise quieted at last, Mablung bowed and humbly yet honorably said, “Captain Haldir, I would know of the making of these bows and these swords. Will you teach us the craft?”

Haldir smiled triumphantly, nodding, “Of course. But my lords, we are not yet finished. There is more you should know of warriors and we have only shown you prowess with weapons.”

“Lead on, Captain,” Thingol said grinning broadly, “Lead on.”

“Are any among you hunters or do you consider yourselves skilled in the chase and tracking?” Haldir asked.

“We all are of course,” Mablung replied. “Why do you ask?”

“Because being skilled at tracking and at avoiding detection while armed are extremely important for those who would defend a forest. I suggest a game. I know that my warriors are itching to explore this wood. I will release them all into the forest with a head start of a few minutes and they will be required to keep within a mile of this place where we are now. Then I would ask that any of you who wish it to go in and find them. My warriors will be carrying their long bows and their swords with them, though they are forbidden to use them. You can take with you whatever you wish or leave behind whatever you think might slow you down.”

Mablung scowled, but Saeros looked about the crowd and replied, “If I may, on behalf of us all, I accept the challenge. The Galadhrim are not the only ones skilled in the wood and I think that you are being quite arrogant in issuing such a challenge if you think that we will not be able to find your warriors. There are a great many of you. One or two may escape us, but I do not see how you all could possibly elude us. We have not grown so complacent living in the caves that we have forgotten how to survive in and rule the wood.”

“I neither suggested nor implied any such thing,” Haldir reassured raising his hands in a calming gesture. “All I am trying to demonstrate is the importance for warriors and march wardens both to move with stealth and speed. I do hope you find some of my warriors out there. I think some are becoming a bit arrogant after their accomplishments in journeying here, and it might be good for them to be shown some humility.” He looked pointedly at Taurion who met his adar’s stare defiantly with a smirk.

Thingol turned to one of his servants and ordered that a meal be brought out to the crowd in two hours. “I want everyone to return here: warriors and ellyn of Doriath in two hours’ time prepared to eat. Warriors of Celos Galen, you may leave now and we will pursue you shortly. I hope you give us a sporting chase.”

The warriors all grinned at that as the last donned his weapons and they all disappeared into the wood.

“Are you not joining them, Haldir?” Mablung asked.

Haldir grinned a bit sheepishly, “No, sir, I am not. Not only am I newly recovered from injuries, but my wife is pregnant with twins. These are children numbers five and six for us. She and the little ones draw much of my strength and, in truth, I would prefer not to be one of the warriors that you find in the hunt. I may have some arrogant warriors out there, but I also have pride of my own which I wish to keep intact. It helps with the morale of the ellyn.”

Thingol laughed long at that as did many of the other older lords.

“We completely understand and sympathize with you,” Thingol’s nephew Galadhon replied. “Children numbers five and six? That is impressive. Congratulations! I do agree that it is important for a leader to maintain the confidence of his followers even though I suspect your warriors would understand in your case.”

Haldir shrugged. “Even still.”

“Well, I do not fear what my followers will think of me if I fail to find any of your warriors. Somehow I suspect that they are going to be far more difficult to locate than we have given them credit for at the outset,” Thingol said.

“Perhaps,” Haldir commented, allowing himself to relax at last and leaning on his unstrung bow. “Perhaps…”

“You have handled our taunts and disbelief and outright antagonistic behavior rather well, Captain,” Prince Celeborn said. “I admire that quality.”

“I agree with my son,” Galadhon added. “You are far more intimidating for remaining calm and not rising with anger, and for letting your actions speak for you. I find it much more effective than any words you could have spoken in provoked response.”

Haldir nodded courteously, giving a short bow of gratitude, surprisingly and deeply touched by the praise from both his future lord and the lord’s adar. “My thanks to you. I wish my eldest son could have heard you say that. He has been itching to prove himself and respond with rash words to all that has been said since we entered Doriath, but I threatened him into silence.”

Galadhon and many others chuckled at that. “I have threatened my own son into silence many times. I can understand.”

Haldir saw a golden opportunity and could not pass it up. “Perhaps we could meet later and compare notes on raising our sons? I know I would enjoy the opportunity to make a new friend here and you may have some advice that might be helpful to me.”

“I believe I would enjoy that very much as well, Haldir,” he replied with a nod.

Celeborn looked uncomfortable and more than a little uncertain at this, but Haldir was laughing loudly inside at the chance to hear all of this very interesting information he never could have known before about his future lord. 

A short time later, the group from Doriath departed in search of the warriors. Haldir sat on the ground, his back against a tree, humming the tune of the waters to himself. A young ellon dressed in green brought him a cup of wine along with some bread and cheese and sat down beside him.

After a polite amount of time, the ellon glanced sideways at him and commented, “Captain, they will not find any of the Galadhrim out there, will they?”

Haldir took another swallow of wine, then replied, “In all likelihood, no.”

“I have heard stories of the folk of the trees. I thought they were fanciful tales until I saw many of your warriors scale the trees and run through the canopy as if they were squirrels or birds before they were obscured by leaf and limb. Can you actually teach our people to do that? I even heard the trees speak to them in fond welcome.”

“Perhaps, if they are patient and willing to listen and willing to learn, we can teach them what we know.”

“Could you teach me?”

“I could try.” Haldir looked over at the ellon, taking in his golden hair and obviously Sindarin features. “What is your name?”

“I am Thranduil Oropherion.”

Haldir blinked a few times, then turned more fully and stared at the young ellon in shock.

“Is there something wrong, Captain?”

Somehow he had forgotten that Thranduil was from Doriath and might have been born already. Suddenly he felt very uncomfortable being seated in the presence of Mirkwood’s future king.

“Captain?”

Haldir shook himself. “I am sorry, I just…you remind me of someone I once knew a long time ago.”

“Do I remind you in a good way or a bad way?”

Haldir smiled, shaking his head. “In a good way.”

Thranduil drew himself up straighter and smiled. “Then thank you, Captain.”

They sat in companionable silence waiting for the warriors to return.

XXXXXXXXXX

Taurion returned last out of all of the warriors and the ellyn of Doriath. As he proudly strode toward his adar, he said for all of the warriors to hear (obviously not caring who from Doriath heard as well, and all from Doriath heard), “It is not enough for ellyn to be comfortable moving in a forest, they must be as sons of the trees as well. I watched every ellon from Doriath depart and return and followed the progress of a good many of them while they hunted for us. Not one looked to the canopy. Not one spoke with or listened to the trees to ask their aid in finding us. Everyone was so concerned about finding tracks and traces of passage lower down by the ground. They should have caught at least one of us, and none of them even knew that I was following them! Why are they so ignorant?”

Haldir smiled, shaking his head. “My son, we are called the Galadhrim for a reason. Not every clan of elves knows our ways or shares in them. Each clan adapted to the environment in which it grew and learned to thrive there. If you were to go visit with Lord Círdan, you would be confused and uncertain almost as a small child on one of his boats just as his folk would not know the first thing about dwelling in and among the trees. The ways of his clan are not the ways of ours. Although Doriath has elves of many clans living side by side as brothers, we are the first of the Galadhrim to dwell among them. We have much to teach them just as they have much to teach us.”

Taurion folded his arms and cocked his head defiantly. “What could they possibly have to teach us?”

“Could you make a dwelling in a cave? Do you know how to carve stone?” Haldir asked.

“Angaril does, I would wager.”

Rúmil jabbed Angaril in the ribs with his elbow at that and he jabbed him back much harder.

“Do you know how to make a feather mattress? Construct a bed? Had you ever seen a chair or a tall table or tapestries before you came here?”

Taurion shook his head.

“Say it out loud,” his adar ordered.

“No, Sir.”

“Louder!”

“No, Sir!”

“Do you realize how ridiculously foolish and backward you sound to these folk? Things as simple as a tall table and a chair and a feather mattress are foreign to you when these items are common place to these folk. Even a child of one year knows what to do with a chair or a framed bed with a mattress here in Doriath, but you who have seen a few ennin had to be shown. Now tell me, who is ignorant?”

Red-faced, Taurion cast his proud gaze to the ground.

“Tell me, boy, out loud for all to hear.”

“We all are, Adar. They and us.” He glared mutinously at Haldir.

“Precisely,” Haldir replied, surprising his son. The captain turned and addressed all of his warriors. “I charge each of you with finding three things that you have found strange, unusual, or unknown to you previously and learn about them. Then I want you to come and discuss them with me.”

Then he turned to the ellyn of Doriath who had remained conspicuously silent through this whole discussion. “And I challenge you to identify aspects about us: our abilities, our way of life among the trees, our customs… and come learn from us.”

King Thingol strode up to Haldir. “After this meal, I have some business to attend to. But I invite you and your family to share the following meal with me and mine. There is much more I would learn from you.” He clapped Haldir on the shoulder. “And thank you for a most edifying display of the skills of a march warden and a warrior. I understand now why your chieftain entrusted the safety of his people to you on the journey and why he allowed you to lead. Indeed you are wise in many things, Captain Haldir of Celos Galen and now of Doriath.”

Haldir smiled as pride welled up inside of him at the compliments and the honor the king was showing him. He stepped back and gave a low bow to the king which his warriors copied.

“Thank you, King Thingol,” he said as he straightened, “for everything.”

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List