Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

B2MeM 2012: A Spirit in Shadows  by Mirach

27. Palantír: Possibilities

In the bleak landscape of Black Breath, he was looking for Faramir. He could not find him. Faramir was too far gone, and Aragorn's strength was not enough. Too far, too deep, to dark… He followed him, and became lost himself. Somewhere far ahead, in the distance, he finally glimpsed Faramir running to his brother, embracing him. There were Denethor and Finduilas as well, watching from afar. He turned away, for there was no return for Faramir anymore. But he could not find the way out…


Now Aragorn saw himself. He was riding at the side of Gandalf with Pippin, and Legolas with Gimli, and the Dark Gate loomed above them, heavy and terrifying. He saw himself through the eyes of another, and it was a contorted and unpleasant image – so the Mouth of Sauron saw him. But he also could sense pride in the dark Númenorean, and it was terrifyingly familiar, for it was a pride on his ancestry, and he felt the same when he learnt his true name and lineage.

Then he saw his sceptre – the Sceptre of Annúmians, which Elrond himself gave into his hand the symbol of his kingship in Arnor. But the picture changed, and he saw another sceptre, the one that was a model for the Sceptre of Annúminas – the Sceptre of Númenor. He saw it in the hands of Ar-Pharazôn, sailing to the West to challenge the Valar themselves. A chill ran through him as he realized that Ar-Pharazôn's hands on the sceptre are so similar to his…





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List