Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

To The End of His Days  by GamgeeFest

8. Westmarch


We see the tower hills long afore we get there. The towers loom overhead, beacons for hobbits seeking Westmarch. Strange that so many hobbits migrated here, when once these towers were looked upon with fear. It’s said as you can see the Sea from atop the tallest one, that being called Elostirion. Strider’d told once me it houses a palantír. Just thinking of that orb gives me shivers, just as thinking of the Sea gives most other hobbits shivers. Yet here we all are, and beyond belief the inhabitants of Westmarch have come to think of the towers as their own. Some will even tell you how hobbits built them long ago. 

We reach Undertowers at midday. The town’s located on the easternmost hill, just beneath one of the shorter towers. Its shadow sweeps the town like a sundial. The bakery gets it first at six, the inn at noon and the post office around four. It’s currently near the inn, so that’s how I know it’s nearing luncheon.

Elfstan’s waiting for us on the lane by the market square, and he jumps into the carriage when Robin stops for him. He hugs me fiercely and starts rambling about a hiking trip he took with Fastred and the elves they met on the road to the Grey Havens. 

“That’s where you’re going, right, Granddad?”

“Aye,” I say and wonder if these are the same elves I’ll be sailing with. 

I sit back and listen to his story. After three days in a carriage, I’m sore and tired, yet the closer I get to the Sea, the more restless I become. It’s as though my body can’t make up it’s mind to fall asleep or wake up. 

A half-hour later, we’re pulling up to Golden Home and Elanor is waiting.




GF 8/9/12



To be continued...





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List