Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

To The End of His Days  by GamgeeFest

10. Midnight


Midnight’s always been our time, Elanor and me, so I’m not surprised to find her waiting for me in the study when I tiptoe out. She’s got the Red Book open to the family trees and looks up as I come in.

“I won’t know what year to put,” she says, a finger over my name. 

“By law, it’ll be the day I sail,” I say, sitting next to her.

“You’re really going to do this, after all these years.”

I nod. “I’ve something to do before the end. I’ve a promise to keep.”

I wish I didn’t. I want nothing more than to follow my Rose, but I can hear the Sea calling. I don’t hear much these days, but those endless waves follow me through the day and into my dreams, and they’re growing louder the closer I get to the Sea.

Elanor understands all this without me having to say. She closes the book and takes my hand, studying its many lines and spots. I can almost pretend she’s a child again and we’re speaking to each other in Bag End’s study, discussing her questions or reading Strider’s letters. 

“What do you think it’ll be like? Elvenhome?”

“I can’t be guessing that.”

“It must be lovely, if my Lady is anything to go by. Do you think he was healed?” 

“Lady Arwen thinks so. She let me see him once, that year in Gondor when Tom was born. He was walking along the beach, and I felt he was happy.”

“Gandalf will be there. Do you think you’ll get to see fireworks again?”

“I’ll have to ask him,” I say. “Look up in the sky some night. Mayhap you’ll see them.”

“That’ll be grand.”

I yawn and stand up. “Sleep well, bright eyes.”

“Sleep tight, Sam-dad.”




GF 8/16/12




To be continued...





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List