Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

To The End of His Days  by GamgeeFest

17. Friends


There’s a feast that night and everyone is in attendance. Gandalf meets me at the door and introduces me to so many elves I soon forget their names. I’m most eager to meet Elrond’s wife, and I sit with them and Galadriel as the food is served. I see in Celebrían a quiet strength that I’ve oft seen in her daughter, and she has the same blue eyes and snowy complexion as Arwen. She has Galadriel’s hair though.

The food is grand and the wine smooth as silk and delightful as children’s laughter. After the food comes songs and poems. There are silly songs and mournful ballads; some are clearly made up on the spot. At one point, Gandalf nudges me to stand. Hands behind my back, I begin reciting The Man on the Moon Came Down Too Soon. Those there who know it smile, remembering their old friend.

Celebrían then sings a ballad I can’t understand. Gandalf translates the words: it’s a song she composed about her children in Middle-earth, wondering about their adventures and hoping their lives will be peaceful now. I think of my own children and of Arwen, and it strikes me as we both have families left behind we won’t be seeing again.

Several others of Elrond’s folk are here as well. I speak with Lindir, Erestor and Glorfindel and make plans for visits at some future point. Near the end, I find myself alone with Gildor, one of the first Elves I’d ever seen. 

“Did you guess all those years ago as we’d both be standing here someday?” I ask him.

He smiles warmly. “I knew only that I was in the company of great beings. How great even I could not then foresee. I am glad to see you again, elf-friend.”




GF 9/11/2012





To be continued...





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List