Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

To The End of His Days  by GamgeeFest

23. Garden


In the study, I find a journal nearly filled in Frodo’s hand. Once again, the last few pages are for me. I take the journal outside to enjoy a smoke with Gandalf and read through Frodo’s recollections, which are at first random and unclear, but gradually become coherent and joyful. 

Gandalf shows me the garden atop the bluffs that Frodo had designed. There’s roses, bellflowers, geraniums and dahlias blooming in colors so brilliant they almost hurt to look at. There’s sculptures of giant eagles, soaring dragons and a pair of trees. An arbor encases a sculpture of Frodo’s parents.

There’re lanterns hanging from poles along the garden paths and near the house are pits smoking with roasting meat for the homecoming feast tonight. I meet many more folk and some of my neighbors, including a couple with two young twins who, by elven reckoning, are about the same age as Perty. 

The feast starts with food and drink followed by songs and poems. The food is wonderful, the wine rich and the mood high. I get Gandalf to sing with little wheedling. His voice soars clear through the garden and entrances everyone. 

The sun sinks beyond the distant hills and the stars come out in their strange constellations. The lanterns are lit and I sit with my new friends and start to learn some Quenyan. 

Near midnight, I see Faeglin,* one of Gildor’s folk from the Woody End. He lives nearby just past the town and was a great friend to Frodo, according to Frodo’s letter and journal. He’s just as I remember, fair and soft spoken.

I excuse myself to walk along the shore. I smile as I think of my Rose and how she’d love it here. She’d charm all these fine folk, of that I’ve no doubt.  




GF 9/27/12




To be continued...




* - You can read more about Faeglin and their reunion in “For Eyes to See That Can” in my GamgeeFest Keepsakes collection.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List