Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

To The End of His Days  by GamgeeFest

28. Letters


“I have something for you.”

It’s a month afore I get Elrond, Celebrían and Galadriel out to visit. We’re in the Big House, waiting for supper to finish simmering. Since arriving, I’ve spent as much time here as in Near Water, with so many folk coming and going. 

Feaglin and Erestor had hauled the last packing crate here this morning. I bring my guests into the parlor and open the crate. I explain about Lake Evendim and the promise I made. “Some of the letters, these here, were written then. The rest were sent over the years until the last package arrived just a few weeks afore I sailed. I put them in order for you.” 

They’ve have tears in their eyes as they pull out the largest of the portraits and unwrap it. Arwen, Aragorn and their two sons grin up from the canvas. It was painted somewhere near the ocean and not too long ago. The smaller bundles include drawings from Arwen of the children growing up and lockets of their hair. 

Galadriel smiles at me warmly as Celebrían hugs me tightly. “We cannot thank you enough for bringing these.” 

Elrond surprises me with a hug also. “We thought never to see her again.”

In another package are two journals, one for each child, written mostly by Arwen but now and again with a passage from Aragorn. They hold stories of the children’s adventures, daily things like lessons, trips to the market and battles over bathing. 

I can see they’re eager to open the letters. I leave them to finish supper. I’ve learned how to make a few Elven dishes but they take time, enough time for my friends to read through the first stack of correspondence.

I hum as I cook, pleased to have my promise fulfilled.




GF 10/9/12




To be continued...





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List