Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

To The End of His Days  by GamgeeFest

25. Neighbors


There’re four other houses atop the bluff besides Big House of Near Water. I meet my neighbors at the party that first night and visit them each over the next few days. 

My nearest neighbor is none other than Erestor. His wife’s a golden-haired beauty named Glorwaith. I’m told she came here with Celebrían to keep her company. They both love to fish and Glorwaith designs things, such as a sculpture of a seabird made from white seashells. They’ve no children yet but are planning for one soon.

Next is Erúvë. She’s one of the Vanyar and like the others I’ve met, she seems more vibrant somehow. They’ve a light that shines out brighter than the others. She sings and dances at festivals and teaches dance to anyone wishing to learn. She makes the best bread as I’ve ever tasted and has a collection of stones she sculpts into sea creatures.

Past her is a family: father Rimbe, mother Sermë and their twin sons Yulion and Lenwë. The twins are twelve, by Elven reckoning, and already tall and lean. They like to hunt in the woods with their mother while their father enjoys taking long treks in search of irons and metals for his craft. They’re a joyous family and the twins are often at Near Water. I learn it’s them who have kept the place up since Frodo’s passing. 

The last house is a guest house for whoever needs it. Currently, it’s housing some folk from the other side of the isle who come for the hunting once a year. They’ve deer hides with them and give me a soft pelt for the coming winter.

At week’s end, I host a brunch for my neighbors in the garden, and for the first time I don’t miss my family.




GF 10/2/12




To be continued...





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List