Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Valiant  by Kara's Aunty

Disclaimer: Lord of the Rings belongs to J.R.R. Tolkien, etc. I am only borrowing his characters for this fanfiction and am making absolutely no profit whatsoever from them.

Credit: Thainsbook dot net (formerly tuckborough dot net).

Snowmane


Faithful servant yet master's bane

Lightfoot's foal, swift Snowmane.


“'Tis rumoured he was one of the mearas,” said a Gondorian soldier, one of three who had just finished erecting the stone marker on Snowmane's grave. They retreated slightly to better admire their handiwork.

“A meara!” exclaimed another. “I believed Mithrandir to be master of the last of their kind.”

“And so he is, now.”

The simple marker seemed to grow in stature as the enormity of what Rohan had sacrificed to aid them struck home.

“Then let us honour our fallen properly,” announced the third.

As one, they bowed reverently.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX


Author's Note: Whether Snowmane was a meara or not is open to speculation, but, personally, I like to think he was.

I 'd also like to think he was remembered more for the years of loyalty and friendship he gave Théoden, than for crushing him. It's not like the poor horse deliberately chucked himself onto his master!

Anyway, this is my attempt to put a more positive spin on his memory. Hope you like it. The next drabble will not be equine-related.

Kara's Aunty ;)





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List