Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Sentiment's Turn  by Mysterious Jedi

Sentiment’s Turn

Rating: PG

Disclaimer: If it seems familiar, it’s probably Tolkien’s.

Summary: Shortly after the War of the Ring, a mysterious visitor comes to see King Elessar. When her true identity is revealed, will it bring harm or healing to the former Fellowship?

Non-romance, non-mary-sue, non-girl-dropped-into-ME. Includes Aragorn, hobbits, an original character, and glimpses of all of the Company (except the ill-fated Boromir)!

King Elessar sighed in despair. Although the war was won, lack of conflict did not bring peace. He glanced at Frodo, who seemed to keep falling back into treacherous places of his past.

Walking over, he placed a hand on the halfling’s shoulder. Frodo glanced up briefly, but then sank back into his ill mood. Concerned, Aragorn persisted until he earned the halfling’s full attention.

"What ails you, Ringbearer?"

"Please stop calling me that! It brings back bad memories! The war is over, can we not just let it go?" said Frodo, mournfully rather than crossly.

"Forgive me, my friend. Evil never departs without scarring its victims. I ask again, what ails you? Speak your mind, and I will help you as well as I can, as a true companion must."

"Dreams. I keep dreaming of orcs, smelly clothes, and cruel whips."

"Indeed, that I can help. Many herbs can effectively give you peaceful sleep," responded the king.

"I have seen the Eye. I shall never have peace, only a few blissful retreats. Still, I thank you. Rest would be quite welcome."

At that moment, Samwise Gamgee entered the room. "I brought you some food, Mr. Frodo. I figured it would do you some good. You look awfully thin, begging your pardon. ‘Food makes the heart merry,’ as my Gaffer used to say. You have no need for my ramblings, though, just eat."

With these remarks, Sam handed Frodo a tray of food, including a rather prominently placed bowl of mushrooms.

This distraction eased the tension in the atmosphere, although Frodo’s appetite (or, more precisely, lack thereof) was rather odd for a hobbit.

Then a servant entered. "King Elessar," he said, "young girl wishes to speak with you. She has traveled a great distance.

Aragorn left the hobbits to their lunch and went to greed the visitor. She had dark skin, hair, and eyes. Her entire body seemed to be raw and chapped.

"Greetings, King Elessar. I am Violet of the northern mountains. I seek your favor to gain asylum from those that dwell there."





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List