Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Sentiment's Turn  by Mysterious Jedi

Sentiment’s Turn Chapter 3-Love for Beauty.

Disclaimer: see previous chapters

Aragorn was greatly disturbed. This young woman obviously did not have the soul of an orc, but she had the body of one. He pitied her, knowing how much shame she must feel. How could he convince her that she was not one of the orcs, and was not in dishonor?

He decided that the best thing to do would be to let her meet one of the Firstborn and talk about it. However, he was concerned that she may feel intimidated and humiliated by such a thing. He sent a messenger to bring Legolas to him.

Meanwhile, Violet was quickly and carefully stitching together fine clothes for the hobbits. Why must it be silk? Silk was so delicate, she was afraid she would ruin it. At the same time, she admired its smooth, soft texture and graceful beauty. It was most definitely different from orc-clothes.

There was a knock at her door and she opened it to find Sam and Frodo. She gasped. Did they know her secret? Would she have to explain all over again?

To her relief, Sam spoke. " I don’t mean to interrupt your work, but Strid---uh--- King Elessar told us about your problem. I’m right sure you’re not an orc, leastaways, not in the things that made them our enemies. I was a’wonderin’ iffin you’d like to take a walk with us, just for a bit of fresh air."

She merely nodded, and walked with them. They led her out to a bench overlooking a small garden. In this valuable, albeit small, haven for green things, there were azaleas in full bloom, with birds chirping merrily, picking up whatever scraps of food was left by negligent picnickers.

Violet gazed around in wonder as she took this all in. Sam and Frodo merely smiled at her amazement, only regretting that she could not see the many gardens of Middle-Earth that were not restrained by cities of stone.

"It’s so beautiful. Look at all these flowers. I don’t recall ever seeing so many colors in one place."

Sam and Frodo exchanged glances. It was certainly a pretty place, but not exactly the brilliant garden she made it sound like.

"I’m a bit of a gardener myself, back home." said Sam. "I could teach you something if you’d like."

Violet’s face lit up in a very un-orcish manner, and she smiled shyly. "I would like that very much, if it wouldn’t be any trouble."

Frodo just smiled to himself. This was just what Violet needed, and perhaps it would make Sam feel more at home in Gondor. He looked forward to seeing them work together.

Back in the Citadel, Aragorn and Legolas talked about Violet’s dilemma. Legolas was rather skeptical of an orc turning to the light, but when Aragorn showed him her needlework, he consented that orcs did not craft such beauty. Now the only question that remained was how to help her.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List