Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Sentiment's Turn  by Mysterious Jedi

Violet’s Secret

Disclaimer: if you begin to feel a sense of déjà vu, it is probably because Middle Earth is not mine and this is a work of fanfiction.

Violet allowed herself to cry. These people were so kind. They had endured so much. What would they think if they knew the awful truth…that she was an orc?

Indeed, at times she felt tempted to succumb to the evil her people had allowed Sauron to provoke. Despite her heritage, Sauron was defeated. Did that not leave her free?

There was a knock at the door. She let King Elessar into her room, trying to wipe her tears with her sleeve at the last minute. Did he know the truth? Surely if he did, he would not allow her to stay in Gondor.

"The halflings have noted that you seem disturbed, particularly at the mention of orcs. Would you like to talk about it?"

Violet shook her head fervently. She could not bear the shame of the truth.

"Violet, I do not know what is wrong, but speaking about it may very well help. What has happened?"

Not willing to hide the truth, Violet answered. "I am an orc. I mean you no harm, though. I am so sorry."

Looking into her eyes, the king perceived sincerity. "Nay, you are not an orc. Perhaps you were born in the body of an orc, and raised as an orc, but you are not an orc. For I sense in you the traits of love and liberty, which are not found in the fell beasts of the enemy."

Violet looked up at him with a newfound hope. Was it possible that she was not a traitor to Arda because of the evil of her race? Had she truly broken free from the curse of orchood?

King Elessar merely smiled at her astonishment. "It is said that Orcs are the descendants of elves ruined by evil. If darkness can make an orc an elf, I see no reason that light cannot turn one back again."

"Elves are orcs’ enemies though. I mean, I don’t dislike elves, but they dislike my people and my people dislike them."

"It is perhaps more accurate to call the elves your people and the orcs the enemies of your people. You have turned back to the light, while orcs remain in darkness."

"At times even I do not follow the light. It is terrible, but I think my mind is still that of an orc."

"Temptation is not sin, and even sin can be forgiven. Even the free people of Middle Earth do not always act free, but you are one of those free peoples,"

Changing the subject, he glanced at her sewing-in-progress. "Where did you learn to sew like this? For those whom you once lived among to not craft any beautiful thing."

Violet smiled and blushed. "Even they have need of clothes. Once I learned how to sew, it was not hard to teach myself to arrange those stitches into patterns."

"You have natural skill for imitating the beauty of Middle Earth against all odds. I know you must be overwhelmed. I will leave you to your thoughts for a time





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List