Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Least of Rings  by Dreamflower

Part 7

10 Afterlithe, S.R. 1418

Laughing and flushed, Frodo sat down between Sam and Gandalf. The common room of The Prancing Pony was a jolly place, and he'd just entertained the room with a rousing rendition Uncle Bilbo's song "A Merry Old Inn". He glanced over at Sam. "You ought to give them a recitation of 'Oliphaunt'," he chuckled. "No one recites that quite like you do, Sam!"

Sam blushed. "I ain't had enough beer yet to get the nerve up," he answered, and then looked mournfully into the top of his half-empty tankard. Frodo responded by pouring his friend more from the pitcher on the table, then topped off his own.

"Gandalf?" He held the pitcher out, but the wizard was distracted. Gandalf had been watching the door closely for signs of the friend they were supposed to meet here. Suddenly he stood up. Frodo glanced over at the door--a tall figure wrapped in a dark cloak came in, and he was accompanied by two smaller figures. He nearly spat out his sip of beer in surprise, then he and Sam jumped to their feet as the three approached their table.

"Meriadoc Brandybuck and Peregrin Took! Whatever possessed you to follow me?" Frodo was angry.

"What made you think we wouldn't, Frodo?" answered Merry. "I'd think you'd know us better than that after all these years."

"Frodo," interrupted Pippin, "this is Strider! He saved us from some brigands that attacked us on the road! He says he knows Gandalf!"

It was quite clear they knew one another. Strider wasted no preliminaries. "Gandalf, there are ruffians gathering in great numbers between here and the Shire, but what is worse is the news that the Nine are abroad somewhere between Bree and Rivendell!" He spoke in a low voice, not to be heard by others in the room, but those with him could hear. Gandalf gave a gasp of dismay, but the four hobbits all looked puzzled.

"Matters have moved too swiftly," he said. "Let us retreat to our room where we may speak privately." Gandalf went to let the innkeeper know they had more members in the party, and to pay the difference.

Frodo led the group to the room they had taken. It was meant to host six hobbits, but Mr. Butterbur had provided a large sized cot for Gandalf. "We can put the other two hobbit beds together for you, Strider," said Pippin.

The Man shook his head. "I'll just put my bedroll in front of the hearth."

Frodo looked at his cousins, who seemed to be making themselves comfortable. "Merry! Pippin! You are not following me all the way to Rivendell!"

"No," Pippin answered cheerily. "We'll travel with you now."

"You'll go back to Buckland."

Merry shook his head. "Not a chance. We intend to stick to you like burrs."

Sam sighed. "Mr. Frodo, you know if they've took it in their heads to come, they'll come."

"No, they need to turn back."

Gandalf entered the room. "No one is turning back."
 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List