Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Least of Rings  by Dreamflower

EPILOGUE

Of course, that wasn't the end of it all.

Sauron was defeated; the Ring gone. But many of his armies, especially his human armies, remained to threaten Gondor. And Saruman remained a threat to Gondor and Rohan, with no Sauron to stop him from doing whatever he could to overrun both lands.

It was decided that a picked group of warriors, along with others who wielded power, would head South, to secure the peace.

Many who had attended the Council were invited to participate, or petitioned to go along. To everyone's surprise (with the exception of Gandalf) the four hobbits wished to go. After much consideration, and because of the advice of both Gandalf and the Lady Galadriel, Elrond gave reluctant permission.

"Be sure to take care of yourselves," said Bilbo. He'd gifted Frodo with his mithril shirt and with Sting. "be sure to follow the Dunadan's orders."

"We'll stick with Aragorn and with Boromir," Frodo answered. They'd grown very fond of both Men during their time in Rivendell.

"I'll expect a detailed account of the entire affair when you return," he said, before embracing them all.

"We'll be home by Yule," Pippin declared optimistically. Merry rolled his eyes at this statement. He'd seen the maps. They'd be fortunate to return by Spring. But this chance to see the world that would never be had again.

By the end of November, they had arrived in Lothlorien. Lord Celeborn was glad to welcome his Lady home, and pleased at the presence of Elrond and of Arwen and Elladan and Elrohir. Plans were made to order battles to defend the Golden Wood from hordes of orcs pouring out of the Misty Mountains.

A picked group headed in boats down the Anduin. In addition to Aragorn and Boromir, the company consisted of Gandalf, who was going to leave them and cross the River further South, for he wished to find Radagast and make sure all was well with him; the four hobbits; Legolas the son of Thranduil (who had represented his father at the Council); Gimli the son of Gloin; and the two sons of Elrond. Some of them were going to Rohan to the relief of the Rohirrim who were being attacked by Saruman's forces; the rest were going to Minas Tirith to defend the White City from the alliance of Harad, Umbar and Rhun which was marching on Gondor.

It was indeed in the Spring when four hobbits, clad in the finery they had earned by their actions, arrived in the Shire riding on their ponies. They smiled at those they passed, though many gave them scowls in return.

Frodo unlocked Bag End and threw open the windows. His story of being in Buckland longer than he'd anticipated had held up, but now that they were home it wouldn't continue to do so.

"Frodo, there's nothing in the larder!" called Merry.

"Change into Shire clothes! We'll take our supper at The Green Dragon tonight, and salute our friends we left behind!" 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List