Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In the High King's Secret Service  by Fiondil

3: First Meetings

Once everyone was settled, a welcoming feast for the delegation was announced. Valandur sighed at the thought as he pulled out his best tunic, knowing that, while it might be fine to wear to an audience with the High King, it was woefully lacking in style for a high feast.

“It will be fine,” Aldamir said as he donned his own sumptuous garb of green patterned silk with his house device embroidered on the front. Over this he wore a flowing robe of blue and green studded along the collar, hem and cuffs with citrines and emeralds. He, Sorondur and Valandur were sharing a suite. Sorondur was also dressed in rich garb in shades of blue and purple.

“My ammë made it for me,” Valandur said by way of explanation, feeling embarrassed. “It was a gift for finally becoming a loremaster. It’s the best garb I have.”

“It is beautifully done,” Sorondur said with a smile. “Your ammë is very gifted. It is obvious that every stitch was done with love.”

Valandur smiled in thanks at those words.

“And it is just fine,” Aldamir repeated, “especially with your loremaster’s robe over it. People are going to see that before they see anything else and treat you accordingly. And did you not say you wore this to your audience with Ingwë? Well, if it was good enough for the Ingaran, it’s good enough for the Noldóran and anyone else in his court. So do not worry so much about it. As a member of the delegation, you are entitled to certain funds. So, if you wish for more appropriate garb, we can have one of the palace seamstresses make you some. Now, hurry up. You do not wish to keep Lord Ingoldo waiting. He is not a patient ellon.”

Valandur nodded and in a few short minutes was dressed. The three ellyn left their suite and joined the others of the delegation in the main sitting room for the wing. Laurelindalë and Nolondilmë smiled at them but did not speak, for Lord Ingoldo arrived with Lady Tinwetariel on his arm. Intarion trailed behind. Ingoldo looked them over, nodding in approval at their appearance, though Valandur thought he frowned slightly at him. His dark blue loremaster’s robe was very plain in cut and style and its only ornamentation was the silver knotting on the shoulder that indicated his specialty as a loremaster. He tried not to blush in embarrassment, for what did he have to be embarrassed about? He had earned this robe with much sweat and tears and hard work. And with that thought, he straightened his stance, noticing Aldamir nodding at him in approval.

Then they were being escorted to the feast hall by squires. Valandur had little or no experience with royal feasts. Certainly there were the feasts which the Valar declared on occasion to which all were invited, but they were not solemn affairs and he suspected this one might be rather stuffy and even boring. Still he had little choice in the matter and decided to enjoy it as much as possible.

They were led to an antechamber from which they would be announced. Valandur tried not to feel nervous, for he had never been in this type of situation before. He steadied himself by reviewing the lessons he planned to give his students on his return. Soon, though, the chamberlain came in and announced that it was time to seat them. He then went back out into the hall and, banging with his staff, gained the attention of those already there. Valandur was surprised when his name was called first.

“Loremaster Valandur Voronwion,” the chamberlain called out and Valandur squared his shoulders and stepped forward. His first impression of the hall was that it was large and crowded. A page was standing next to the chamberlain and Valandur followed him through the throng of Noldor who were standing before their chairs until he was brought to a table just below the high table. In the meantime Sorondur, Laurelindalë and Nolondilmë were also announced and joined him. Aldamir came next. Then Lord Ingoldo and his family were announced together and were led to the high table. After that it was the Noldorin royal family who were announced.

“Lady Findis Finwiel,” the chamberlain called and Valandur craned his neck to see. This must be the daughter and first born of the Lady Indis. Findis came from a different direction into the hall. He saw a tall, willowy elleth with golden hair carefully braided with gemstones. She wore an undergown of pale rose with an overgown of a deeper rose that shaded almost to purple. Her expression was solemn as she climbed the dais to stand before her chair. Her gaze swept the hall and for an instant fell upon him and Valandur felt his heart racing. Then the moment passed and he remembered to breathe.

By then, the chamberlain was calling out another name. “Prince Fëanáro Finwion.”

Valandur looked eagerly toward where the firstborn son of Finwë and Míriel was coming. He hoped to have a chance to speak to the young prince during his time here, for as young as Fëanáro was, he already had a reputation for being a fine loremaster, having recently founded the Lambengolmor, the school of Linguists. Fëanáro was as dark as Findis was light and he walked to the dais with a purposeful stride, ignoring his half-sister, not even giving her a bow as one would expect, but moving to stand on the other side of the two thrones in the middle of the table, nodding politely to Lord Ingoldo and his wife.

Finally, Finwë and Indis were called together and they made a regal pair, a study in contrasts, for Finwë sported black hair, a rarity among the Eldar, and was like a storm cloud to Indis’ sunny golden features. They climbed the dais and Finwë escorted Indis to her chair before going to his and began to speak.

“Welcome, and thrice welcome, Lord Ingoldo, Lady Tinwetariel and all who accompanied you here. We hope that your time here will prove fruitful as our two clans draw ever more closely together for our mutual benefit.”

“Your words are gracious, Brother,” Ingoldo replied with a short bow of his head. “I am sure we will both come away happy with the outcome of our negotiations.”

Finwë nodded and then sat, thereby signaling the start of the feast. Valandur pulled Laurelindalë’s chair out for her as Sorondur did the same for Nolondilmë and then they were all seated as pages began bringing out the first course: a cold cherry soup and white bread with several types of cheeses and a cool white wine to go with it. Minstrels began playing from an upper balcony and Valandur and the others began introducing themselves to those who were also at their table. It turned out that they were the ones who would be attending the negotiations on behalf of the Noldor.

“I am surprised that Olwë did not send anyone to attend,” Sorondur stated after introductions were made.

“You know the Teleri,” one of the Noldor said with a grin. “They like to keep to themselves. I believe King Finwë did invite them to attend but they declined. There is talk that a separate agreement will be made with them later.”

“So it is with the Vanyar,” Aldamir said. “I believe King Ingwë is waiting to see how these negotiations go first before he approaches the Teleri.”

“A pity,” Nolondilmë said. “I think it is important that all three clans be involved.”

“Perhaps in time that will happen,” a Noldorin elleth replied. “I think it is important that we take this slowly. These negotiations were a long time in coming, for I think Finwë was initially reluctant to have them.”

“You mean, Fëanáro was reluctant,” one of the other Noldor stated with a shake of his head. “Rumor has it that the young prince was rather vehement against dealing with the Vanyar. He has never forgiven his atar for marrying Lady Indis.”

“Well, Fëanáro is not the Noldóran,” another ellon said with a sniff. “Finwë did well to listen to his queen in this rather than his son, who everyone knows is too much indulged by his atar. No good will come of that, mark my words.”

Valandur remained silent during this exchange, carefully observing gestures and facial expressions as well as the tone of the conversation, especially among the Noldor. He had been unaware that Finwë had not initially welcomed Ingwë’s overtures and wondered if Ingoldo knew this as well. Glancing at the high table, though, it was difficult to tell if Fëanáro felt any resentment toward the Vanyar, for he appeared to be conversing quite politely with Intarion. What they were saying to one another Valandur did not know.

He glanced down the high table to where Lady Findis sat with Lady Tinwetariel between her and the queen. Tinwetariel and Indis were conversing quietly between them, but Findis appeared to be ignored, for she did not contribute to the conversation, concentrating on her soup. When a page approached her to fill her wine goblet, she smiled brightly at the youngster, looking more animated than she had before. She said something that made the page blush but as soon as he moved away to fill another goblet, her expression became still and she returned to her soup.

The feast progressed and Valandur allowed himself to be drawn into the conversations at the table, discussing the finer points of sound shift theory with one of the Noldor who confessed an interest in becoming a lambengolmo. Between removes, people left their tables to visit with friends. Some came to where the Vanyar were seated and introduced themselves. Valandur thought that perhaps he might know some of them, but they were all strangers. He was somewhat disappointed, hoping to see a familiar face, but most of his Noldorin friends did not associate with the nobility, so their absence at the feast was understandable. He would have to make a point of looking them up, especially Calandil, as soon as he was able. If nothing else, he could have messages sent to them. As he was contemplating this, another came to their table and every ellon was rising to his feet. Valandur belatedly rose to his and found himself staring into the startling blue-grey eyes of the Lady Findis.

“Greetings, kinsmen, and so I call you,” she said, her voice a pleasing alto, “for are not all Vanyar kin to one another?”

Valandur felt his eyes widening in surprise and he smiled in delight at the sound of her voice, for her intonation was… different. It seemed to be neither Noldorin nor Vanyarin but somewhere in between. The way she said certain words made them seem… unique. But then, he reminded himself, the Noldor were notorious for their linguistic inventions and he wondered if Findis was prone to it as well. It didn’t matter; he was still intrigued by her accent.

“Greetings, my lady,” Aldamir replied, being the senior member of their group, giving her a proper bow. “You honor us with your presence.”

She smiled. “The honor is mine, my lord. Tell me what fares in Vanyamar? Is my uncle and his family well?”

“Should you not ask Lord Ingoldo for information about the High King?” Valandur asked, breaking all protocol, but he was curious about her answer.

She gave him a cool look. “Uncle Ingoldo is... busy.”

“And then there is Lord Intarion, your cousin,” Valandur said, speaking as if he hadn’t heard her. “I’m sure he would love to visit with you and tell you all about your family.”

He noticed, but ignored, the concerned looks on the faces of the others. Aldamir was frowning in rank disapproval, but Valandur kept his gaze on the elleth before them, wishing to gauge her reaction. He was not sure why he was being so confrontational, yet, the fact that she had patently ignored even her young cousin to come here for information about Ingwë and his family intrigued him.

There was an awkward moment of silence and then Findis shrugged. “Perhaps I will, my lord.”

“No lord am I, my lady,” Valandur said quickly, “just a humble loremaster.”

“Hardly humble,” Findis retorted with a slight smile. “My lords, my ladies,” she said in farewell, dipping them a proper curtsey before moving away, and Valandur was amused to see her heading straight for Intarion who was sitting idly at one end of the high table being ignored by all. When Findis appeared before him he brightened considerably and Valandur was pleased at that, for he liked the personable young ellon.

“You were out of line, Loremaster,” Aldamir said coldly.

Valandur gave him a quirk of a smile. “Perhaps, but it had the desired effect.”

“What do you mean?” Sorondur asked, clearly confused. “You practically insulted the daughter of the Noldóran.”

Valandur only nodded in the direction of Findis and Intarion chatting amiably with one another. “Now Intarion will not feel so out of place. No one has spoken to him since before the last remove.”

They all looked in time to see Intarion and Findis laughing over something one of them had said. Laurelindalë gave him a shrewd look. “You mean you did that deliberately?”

Valandur merely shrugged, not willing to answer. “If you will excuse me, I wish to take some air before the next remove.” He gave them all a bow and wended his way between the tables and out of the hall, making his way toward one of the many gardens surrounding the palace. He wandered along a stone-crushed path, thinking of the encounter with Lady Findis. She was obviously an intelligent elleth with a sense of humor. That was always a good combination in any person. He wondered if he would have the opportunity to speak with her further during his stay here. The thought excited him and he spent a little time fantasizing about how and where they would meet and what they would talk about.

Thus, lost in his thoughts, he was not paying much attention to his surroundings. As he rounded a curve of the path he nearly ran into someone coming in the opposite direction.

“Fool! Watch where you are going.”

Valandur gaped at the sight of Prince Fëanáro standing there glaring at him. “Your Highness, forgive me,” he said with a proper bow. “I fear my mind was on other matters.”

“You should pay closer attention to where you are,” Fëanáro retorted. “You are one of the Vanyar come with Ingoldo.” It was a statement rather than a question but Valandur nodded.

“Yes, Highness. I am Valandur Voronwion, Loremaster. In fact, I am a Lambengolmo. I am hoping to have the opportunity to speak with you and the others of the school you recently created. I am most intrigued by—”

Fëanáro cut him off with an impatient gesture. “I have little use for those with pretensions of knowing anything about language and how it works. You name yourself a lambengolmo, but the Vanyar are not noted for being that intelligent.”

With that he swept past the stunned Valandur, who stared after him in shock and dismay, feeling suddenly small and unworthy. Perhaps if he had been a lord, the prince would have at least granted him some courtesy, but he was not of the nobility, he was only himself. He sighed and retraced his steps, but at the last moment, he veered, deciding he had had enough of the feast and everyone in it. He was not sure what his reception would be anyway, for he had no doubt that Aldamir, at least, would speak to Ingoldo about him and his conduct with the princess and if Finwë heard of it.... He suspected that he was in for a dressing down and wished to avoid it for as long as possible. He took a moment to get his bearings and then strode purposely away from the palace until he found a side gate leading into the city. He nodded at the guards as he passed them, then stopped and asked if they knew of a particular inn, one he had frequented when he had last lived here.

“Yes, lord,” one of the guards answered readily enough. “The Rose and Crown still stands. If you take this street to your right and go to the second square you will find it readily enough.”

“Thank you,” Valandur said politely and headed away. He would no doubt hear about it from Aldamir or even Ingoldo, but he didn’t care. He would seek out his friends of old and forget about the stuck-up nobles for a time.     





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List