Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Warrior of Care  by Laikwalâssê

Warrior of care

Disclaimer:

The characters, places, and events are creations of J.R.R. Tolkien. No profit was or will be made from this story. It was written solely for entertainment.


Author’s note:

As always many, many thanks to my wonderful beta reader Erulisse.


Summary:

The duties of an Elven-lord are numerous, yet it is not always the great burdens of the world that take precedence.

 

Rating: PG


Chapter 1:  bad news

The Master of Imladris looked up from the report he was reading at the knock on his study door. He furrowed his brow. It was well past midnight and he had no idea who could be demanding his attention in such an urgent manner.

Frowning with a sudden premonition he stood and called "Enter". The word had barely left his mouth when the door was pushed open and Thalan, his Troop Commander’s second-in-command entered. Barely inside, the fair haired elf bowed briefly to his Lord.

“Master Elrond, I’m sorry for disturbing you this late but I cannot find Lord Glorfindel, maybe…”

Thalan stopped at seeing a raised eyebrow and the flick of his Lord’s eyes toward the window. He turned his head in that direction and recognized the missing Troop Commander lounging on the settee under the window half asleep with a book forgotten on his chest.

The miserable expression on the messenger’s face caused the warrior to straighten and sit up immediately. Glorfindel narrowed his eyes.

“Captain, what is it?” he asked in a careful neutral tone. Thalan would not search him out for nothing.

Taking a deep breath, the warrior turned to face his superior. “Commander, the northern patrol has been attacked and…” Thalan closed his eyes briefly before looking up again. “Galion has been killed.”

Not reacting to the sharp intake of breath from Lord Elrond Thalan kept his gaze fixed on Glorfindel´s face. The Troop Commander had bowed his head and was breathing deeply.

Thalan knew exactly what impact the message had on the two elves leading Imlaris. Only a few days before, Master Elrond, the Troop Commander, he and a few close friends of Galion had visited with the young warrior, recently promoted to a lieutenant, to celebrate his advancement and the imminent birth of his first child.

Galion was just a child when he came to Imladris shortly after it was founded. He was an orphan found by the Half-elf in the ruins of Lindon. The later Master of Imladris had taken the child along and a close relationship had formed between them over the years.

Galion had grown up in the new society and quickly adapted to the surroundings. He had done exceptionally well in his service to his Lord and was eager to become a warrior to defend his new home. He had become very attached to the Troop Commander.

Glorfindel had been very pleased with the development of the young, eager elf and so it was no surprise that he had been promoted often. Something akin to a friendship had formed between him and the warrior.

Elrond and Glorfindel had rejoiced with Galion when he had decided to marry Eiriniel, an orphan who also was raised by the elves of Imladris.

Eiriniel was the head of the house staff in the Last Homely House and the young couple had glowed with happiness since the announcement of the expected birth of their first child.

This joy was now destroyed. A happy life and a bright future had been cut short in the blink of an eye.

After a quick look at his Lord, Glorfindel re-directed his gaze at Thalan.

“Where is he now?” he asked his thoughts already centred on the concern that Eiriniel could come across her dead husband by chance.

“Two of my men brought him to the healing wing,” he answered and added quickly at seeing the alarm in Glorfindel´s eyes. “No one saw us.”

Even if Thalan understood the caution to not confront Eiriniel unprepared, he was irritated at having to sneak his dead comrade into the house by the back door.

Glorfindel nodded satisfied. “Thank you, Thalan for your discretion. We will organize everything necessary.”

Thalan heaved a great sigh of relief. He was glad to have relinquished the responsibility, yet he did not envy the elves about their upcoming duty. With a bow directed at both Lords he quickly exited the room.

When Thalan had closed the door Glorfindel sank back onto the settee with a resigned sigh.

“I will fetch my bag and stop by the healing wing. Please meet me at Eiriniel´s apartment,” Elrond said softly.

When passing he squeezed his councillor’s shoulder before he left the room. With her husband on patrol, Eiriniel often stayed in one of the guest rooms at the Last Homely House until his return. Just a few hours before she had bid the two elves a good night before retiring.

Glorfindel only nodded before he rose and left the room too.

 

…………………………………

Elrond was already waiting before one of the guest quarters when Glorfindel hastened over. He had briefly conversed with the patrol leader, to get a first impression what happened. Apart from Galion, there was one other warrior to mourn and two more who were less seriously wounded.

The healer raised his fist and knocked. A faint shimmer under the door told that the occupant of the room was still awake. Both elves waited but no invitation came. Elrond knocked again, yet with the same result. Glorfindel frowned. He did not like the lack of response.

“Eiriniel, it’s me, Elrond. Glorfindel is with me. Can we come in?”

After again getting no response, Elrond tried the door handle. The door was locked. Without hesitation, Elrond handed Glorfindel his bag and retrieved a master key from his pocket. He turned the lock, pushed the door open and took a cautious step into the room.

The frustrated sigh of the healer caused Glorfindel to follow quickly, closing the door behind him with the heel of his foot.

Elrond was already kneeling on the floor in front of the bed. Eiriniel was lying there unmoving. Glorfindel swallowed. What else had they expected? Of course she already knew that something had happened to her husband!

The healer was already lifting the limp body and Glorfindel dropped the bag and hastened over. He cursed his inattentiveness.

While Elrond examined her to determine if her sudden fall had caused any injury, Glofindel stood nearby and watched the scene with dismay. Again he had to tell an ellith that her husband has been killed under his command. Much too often recently had he had to perform this duty and in this case it was the worse circumstance imaginable.

Well versed in elaborate speech; his ability always deserted him in such cases. Hesitant, his gaze travelled to Eiriniel´s clearly visible swollen belly. It would not be long now before the elfling would arrive. The community would be there for them, yet how would the young widow cope with her grief?

Just when Elrond had finished his examination and stood,a low moan came from the elleth on the bed. The healer turned and sat carefully on the edge of the mattress taking her cold hand into his.

Glorfindel shifted to his other foot preparing himself for what would come. Eiriniel opened her eyes and her gaze travelled swiftly from her Lord to the Troop Commander. She was ever quick witted and even if she had not already known that something had happened to her husband, the presence of these two elves told her all she had to know.

Her eyes quickly filled with tears and her gaze again turned to the healer. “He is dead, isn’t he?” she asked her voice already drowned in tears.

Elrond returned the gaze without blinking. “Yes, Eiriniel. I’m sorry. The only comfort I can give you is that he did not suffer. The arrow killed him instantly.”

With a high-pitched wail Eiriniel turned on her side and embraced her belly with both arms. Elrond looked up at Glorfindel and shook his head. She would not be interested in any details, at least not now.

When the warrior turned, Elrond rose and walked with him to the door.

“I will stay with her until she has calmed down. Please send Tinár here. She should not be left alone.”

Glorfindel nodded. He would send the healer to relieve Elrond and then he would discover exactly how this tragedy happened.

 

………………………………..

 

“Elrond?” Glorfindel asked while poking his head around the study door. The healer was sitting in a comfortable chair right in front of the great hearth. He closed the book he was reading and beckoned his friend to enter.

The warrior closed the door and accepted the invitation to take a seat. With a sigh, he let himself sink into the cushions, accepting a glass of deep red wine Elrond had poured for him with a thankful nod.

“How is she?” he inquired while looking at the Half-elf intently. He had just come from his office after gathering all the news concerning the unfortunate patrol from this morning. He had paid his condolences to the parents of the other slain warrior and had visited the wounded ones. He had not seen the Master of the valley all day.

The healer sighed while placing his glass on a side table.

“After you left she calmed down and I asked Tinár to sit with her. Some hours later, I was called back because she was nearly hysterical and we could not console her again. She finally had a total breakdown. I administered a strong sedative. She is sleeping now. However, I could not make the potion as potent as I wished because of the baby.

Glorfindel nodded. He had feared as much. He had known Eiriniel since her childhood. She was a very determined elleth, yet she had always been very emotional; this reaction was no surprise to him.

He rose after he had emptied his goblet. “Call me if I can help you in any way, but I fear I’m the last person she wants to see right now. I fear for her, Elrond!”

The healer grimaced and stood. “I’m also very concerned about her and the child. She has demanded to see Galion tomorrow and there is still the upcoming funeral to consider. In her mental and physical condition I should not allow her to participate in either.”

Glorfindel blew out his breath. “It was a hard day, Elrond. Let us get some sleep while we can and hope for a new day.”

The healer only nodded as he wondered what difference would a new day make.

 

To be continued………………..





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List