Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Warrior of Care  by Laikwalâssê

Warrior of care

Chapter 3:  agreements

Lost in his thoughts the Master of Imladris looked up when he was greeted. He had not heard someone approach and was not only annoyed at being caught unaware but was also was being addressed by the least likely elf he had expected to cross his way so early in the morning.

“Good morning, Eiriniel.” He returned her greeting with a conscious effort to not let his irritation colour his voice. However he had no chance to say more because after a quick curtsey she had already disappeared around the corridor's next corner.

Thoughtfully the healer looked after her. The farewell ceremony for her husband had only been held only two days before and he had not expected to see her back at work this soon.

Work was a healing activity and effective against brooding, yet the soul needed time to grieve. Without grief there could be no complete healing. He had already talked to the staff and all of them had volunteered to share Eiriniel´s duties for as long as she might need while she healed from her loss.

Accepting their offers, he had sent her a message telling her to take some time out, she had to find a new balance in her day-to-day life anyway. Yet once again Eiriniel had surprised him even if the surprise was not a joyous one.

He had wanted her to take time to consider how her life was going to change without her mate by her side, and to take the last stage of her pregnancy slowly after the shock of her husband's death. Her appearance at work was hardly meeting with his approval.

He considered going after her and ordering her to return home but decided against this step. He did make a few arrangements, however. With determination he walked down the corridor and knocked on the door of a service room. It was a small office where Eiriniel worked to schedule her co-workers and discuss the daily chores with her staff. Since she had gone in the opposite direction, he was sure he would not meet her there.

No sooner he had knocked than the door was opened and Alariel appeared at the threshold.

“Lord Elrond,” she acknowledged him with a quick curtsy. “How can I be of service?”

The healer smiled at the surprised expression at the ellith´s face. He seldom interfered with the affairs of running the household – it had been his wife’s responsibility before she sailed and now it was Arwen´s. Alariel's frown was therefore understandable.

“May I come in?” he asked hiding his rising amusement at the fierce blush creeping over Alariel´s face when she recognised her lapse.

“Of course, my Lord,” she muttered while clearing the entryway, hoping to get over her embarrassment quickly. Not wanting to extend the situation for poor Alariel any longer he came straight to the point.

“Alariel,” he said with a soft voice. “I would like to ask for your help in a matter concerning Eiriniel.”

The guarded expression on Alariel´s face vanished, replaced by a scowl.

“You have just seen her, I guess?” she said while turning and gesturing her Lord toward a comfortable chair.

“Yes and I’m not really comfortable with seeing her at work so soon,” he said while seating himself. Alariel pulled a chair over to face her Lord and sat down.

She looked at the healer thoughtfully. She knew that he had expected her to look after her friend and to make sure she would find some relaxation.

And she had tried. The previous night she had sat with Eiriniel and they had talked long into the night. The conversation had shifted from a very reasonable Eiriniel to one who refused to listen, finally asking her friend to leave her house.

Alariel had swallowed her initial anger knowing that Eiriniel was only reacting out of grief, but what other options were left to her except staying with her friend? She could hardly tie her down to prevent her from leaving.

Seeing the guilty look on the ellith´s face Elrond leaned forward and placed a hand on her forearm startling her from her thoughts.

“Alariel, I’m not here to chide you. I know Eiriniel´s temper very well. I came here to ask your help to look after her. Reduce her work load to an easier level and come and get me if there is any change in her attitude, for better or worse. We have to closely supervise her without her noticing, if at all possible.”

Alariel looked up relief in her eyes. “Thank you, my Lord, I will do exactly that. She’s my friend and I will not let her down!”

The healer rose. “Thank you, Alariel. I know I can count on you.”

With this Elrond took his leave. Alariel closed the door and made arrangements for the daily work schedule.

 

………………………………

 

Eiriniel lit the torch carefully after stepping into the dark room. She placed the torch in a holder and looked around. She had been planning to clear out this old storeroom for a long time. The room was part of the original construction, built during the confusion and terror of the war in Eregion. The Last Homely House had many such places, filled with items no longer needed or long forgotten.

Recently she had searched for something and found it here. Nonetheless a good clearing out would not hurt. The winter was fast approaching and, as was the case every year, storage rooms were needed and any extra space was welcomed.

Straightening her aching back she looked up at the top shelf and eyed a big box with dismay. Looking around for a step stool, she pulled a low stool in front of the shelf and stepped onto it. Straightening she reached out for the box and pulled it forward.

Suddenly the box tipped, something within it sliding to the front and unbalancing it. The box was heavier than she had expected. Eiriniel could not catch the box and while trying to stop its fall, she tumbled off the stool to land on the floor, the box landing beside her with a dull thud.

For a short moment her vision blurred and a sharp pain stabbed through her belly. Instinctively she embraced her swollen belly with both arms until the pain had lessened.

For the first time in days she reached inside and consciously listened to the new fea she carried beneath her heart. It was long overdue for her to be in contact with her soon-to-be born son. She needed to establish the bond that would forever connect her and her child.

Hello little one. I´m sorry for startling you!

 

The answer she got was surprising at least. The new life did not respond with words of course, yet the empathic flood of love and understanding, of joy and anticipation caught her off guard.

She began to cry silently. How could she have been so careless with her child? She knew she was endangering not only her own health, but she could not help it. The death of her beloved had ripped such a black hole into her soul that nothing mattered any more – not even her soon-to-be born child - or so she had thought.

This was now changing. For the first time she was really listening; really reaching inside her to communicate with her unborn son. She was overwhelmed with the wonder of soon being a mother.

After a time had passed, something amazing happened. The little fea reached out to her. She nearly choked with unshed tears as her son made it clear that if she was tired of living then he would understand and gladly heed Mando's call with her. He did not want to be separated from her before their relationship had barely begun.

Knowing this she picked herself up, ignoring the still stabbing pain in her underbelly, and left the storeroom. No one would mind anyway, this room had not been looked after for so long.

Knowing what she had to do, she climbed up the stairs and hurried along the corridor.

 

To be continued……………………

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List