Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Thain Peregrin I: the First Days  by Garnet Took

Day One


The day was nearly at an end.  Only the faintest trace of the early Spring sunset still graced the sky, shading it from a deep red through purple and into the blue-black of approaching night.  The night promised to be one of clear, star-filled skies and gentle breezes: a nice respite from the unending rains of the last week.

So ends the first day thought Peregrin Took as he looked around himself from the top of the hill that held the burial ground of the Tooks of Great Smials.  I hope this bodes well for me:  a fresh day for a fresh start.  He drew in a deep breath and released it in a sigh.  "I'll miss you, Father, despite our differences.  I know I almost always fell short of your expectations, but I always tried my best and I always respected you, even when I didn't understand you.  I hope that I can be half the leader you were to the Tooks, and to the whole Shire, and that I never face the hard choices that you did during The Troubles.  I know you begrudged the fact that I was not here then and that you felt that I had shirked my responsibilities and run off to play at soldiering when my creativity and sharp eyes were needed here.  You never could quite forgive me, and Merry and Frodo for that matter, for that.  You chose never to see that what we experienced and learned out there made it possible for us to raise the Shire against the invaders--something you had been unable to do.  I hold no ill-will about this.  I only wish we could have understood each other better.  Here I stand now, your heir and successor, and know this, I will do my best for our people.  It will not always be what you would have done, but it will be the best that I can do."  He stooped and gathered a handful of the damp, freshly-turned earth and let it fall softly through his fingers onto the newly covered grave.  Slowly he descended the hill and walked back to the Great Smials, drinking in the peace of the starry night.

Once inside, Pippin made his way to the Thain's office, his office now, and opened the door.  There was one lamp lit, and by its light Pippin could see three items laying on the ornate, oak desk.  One was obviously Old Yellowskin, the Yearbook of the Tooks.  The other two appeared to be letters.

Pippin was glad there was no one around to see his insecurity as he approached that desk.  This room and these object held a fountain of emotions for him; curiosity, pride, shame, joy, dread and fear to name a few.

Cautiously, Pippin picked up the first letter.  He looked long at the seal of the Thain before breaking it and beginning to read. 


Dear Son,

For you are my only one.  I did not date this letter because, if you are reading it, the date is of no consequence to me.  I will not give you advise, for you would not take it.  I will only ask three things of you: care for your mother for the rest of her days, love your wife and son--and any other children you may be blessed with--with all your heart and lead our people to the best of your ability.  I could say more, but it would most likely be wasted words.

You have my blessing as the new Thain.

                                                              Yours in love,

                                                              Paladin Took II


Pippin could only shake his head as he folded the letter and put it aside. Even in death, you get the last jibe, Father. 

Curiosity warred with dread as Pippin reached for the second letter.  He looked at the simple seal which contained only the initials R.T. for only a second before opening it.


                                                              Reginard Took

                                                              Great Smials

                                                              West Farthing, The Shire

                                                              Astron 14, 1434

Cousin Pippin,

Or, more correctly now, Thain Peregrin I, may I offer my sincere condolences on the passing of your father.  It was my privilege to serve as his assistant for many years.  I will miss that, unless you see fit to retain me in a similar position.  I wish you every success as you assume this office.  Know that you have friends and support, even in unlikely places.

I have left the Year Book on your desk so that you may record the date of Thain Paladin's Passing and the date of your accession.  So each Thain has done on his first day since the office has been held by the Tooks.

I have faith that your skill with a pen is adequate to the task, having watched you copy so much for your father into a fine hand.  Now you may pass that arduous task on to another, and eventually to Faramir.

Good luck, cousin.

                                                              Warmest regards,

                                                              Regi


Pippin folded the letter and set it aside also.  "Support in unlikely places, eh. Well, that's certainly encouraging for this black sheep in a flock of white."

With utmost care, Pippin opened Old Yellowskin to the correct page and painstakingly entered the information concerning the Thainship.


     Astron 13, 1434:  Passing of Thain Paladin II

     Astron 14, 1434:  Burial of Thain Paladin II and accession of Thain Peregrin I 

     Astron 15, 1434:  Feast of remembrance for Thain Paladin II and Recognition of 

                                Peregrin I  as the next Thain of the Shire.


He left the book open to allow the ink to dry.

Slowly he rose from behind the desk, and extinguishing the lamp, left the office.

-----

Quietly Pippin opened the door to his family's quarters.  He expected Diamond and Faramir to be asleep.  He was startled to hear his wife's voice.  "Welcome home."

Pippin put a hand to his heart.  He half feared it had jumped right out of his chest.  "I thought you'd be in bed.  You almost just made me the shortest lived Thain in history."

"I'm sorry," Diamond said, but she couldn't quite hide her giggle.  This made Pippin give a little laugh of his own.

"Actually, I needed that.  I've been thinking too long and too deeply this evening."

"I may have an even better cure," said his wife, taking his hand and leading him, unresisting, toward their bedroom.  "Our son is asleep, the night is not yet old and I have missed my husband's company."  Pippin could only smile that tweenaged smile he got when he thought only of his wife.






        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List