Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Thain Peregrin I: the First Days  by Garnet Took

Day Two:  early morning to mid afternoon


"Wake up, sleepyhead."  Pippin pulled the covers over his head.  "It's time to greet a new day."  He burrowed his head under his pillow.  "Get up!" ordered a commanding voice as the covers were pulled off of him from the foot of the bed.

"That's not playing fair, Diamond," he whined while trying to wriggle back into the nightshirt he'd discarded during last evening's activities to protect himself from the room's early morning chill.

"Well, it was clear that the subtle approach wasn't working, so a more direct one was called for."  She dropped the covers back onto the bed and went to the washstand to pour water into the basin for him.

Pippin came to stand beside her and together they looked at their reflections in the small looking glass that hung above the stand.  "So, how does it feel to be the wife of the Thain?"

"So far, not any different than it felt to be the wife of the heir, but I expect that will change beginning today."

"Yes," he agreed, "by tonight's feast and dance at least, if not much sooner."

Just then there was a knock on their main door.  Diamond went to answer it since it would not be appropriate for the Thain to greet guests in naught but his nightshirt.

She quickly returned.  "That was Regi," she said.  "He asked me to let you know that Merry arrived late last night.  Regi said he thinks he'll be up and about by second breakfast; Merry that is, not Regi."

"I gathered that," Pippin managed to say with a perfectly straight face.

-----

The Thain and his wife managed to make it to the main dining room in time for second breakfast.  The room was crowded with Tooks, both those that lived at Great Smials and those from other places.  They were all there to see this new upstart who was to be their new leader.  Most looked on him with favor, but some did not.  A few felt that his connections with the outside world were not to be trusted and others thought him unnatural, with his great height and fair hair.  His appearance, especially after his return, had caused many to bring up the old tail of a Took marrying a faery wife.  Pippin had managed to ignore the stories.  After all, he knew the truth.  He had learned it from Gandalf himself on the journey from Cormallen to Minas Tirith just after the war.

Now people were staring and pointing and talking into their hands once again.  Pippin just smiled politely to all and tried to keep his sense of humor intact.

"Good morning, dear cousin," came a cheerful greeting from the head table.  Pippin turned, his smile genuine.  He'd know that Buckland accent anywhere.

Pippin tried to be as dignified as possible, but he was overjoyed to see Merry.  This had been the first crisis in his life where his cousin had not been there.  "I am so glad to see you here, Merry.  I was afraid you wouldn't be able to make it."

"Now, Pippin, you of all people should know that I'd be here for you.  But we'll talk about this later.  What you need right now is a good breakfast.  Can't have you fainting from hunger on your first full day on the job."

-----

Later, the best friends sat in what was now Pippin's office and talked.

"So, how does it feel," asked Merry, "to finally be sitting at that desk?"

"Strange," was Pippin's first reply.  "Everything happened--is happening-- so fast that I haven't had time yet to think it all through. As much as I hate to admit it, I miss him.  I think a part of me believed he'd always be here and that I'd never have to assume the role of Thain at all.  Now, suddenly, here I am, the youngest person to ever hold the position.  I tried to listen to all his instructions over the last few years, but I don't know if they all sunk in.  You know how flighty my mind can be at times."

"Yes," answered Merry, "I certainly know about your wandering thoughts.  I also know that you are one of the most intelligent people I know.  You can see your way through a problem faster than almost anyone; so fast, in fact, that many people don't realize that you've thought something through before you act.  They see it as impulsive.  I see it as quick-witted.  Sometimes you do act without thought, but that is a rarity these days.  I know that you gleaned from your father the things you need to know to do this job justice.  You just have to remember that change comes slowly to Shire-folk.  Don't try to remake Tookland in one day.  Make the Tooks think the changes are their idea.  The same goes for the Shire.  Sam and you and I now have the responsibility for the whole place.  We need to work together to make life the best for all the people that it can be.  I'm glad the days of the Tooks' isolation is finally coming to an end.  Paladin may have kept the ruffians out of Tookland, but he also kept Tookland from being an involved part of the Shire.  Now the Shire can truly be whole again."

"I tried for a long time to convince him to put the things that happened while we were gone behind him and be more open-minded, but he insisted that I had no way of understanding how hard it had been to hold the Green Hills against those men and that we had to hold onto what we had, no matter what.  He would trade with other parts of the Shire, but he drove a hard bargain every time.  He always had the reputation for being hard-nosed and closed-minded, but after I got home, I saw that he had become absolutely unmovable.  I would have to say that for all intents and purposes the Shire has had no Thain since the Troubles.  Paladin would have sacrificed the entire Shire to preserve the Tooklands.  Now I have to rebuild the bridges he burned.  I think I have my work cut out for me."

"Yes, in some areas you do, but you have Sam and I to support you and reassure people that the Tooks are trustworthy and deserving of the respect that the office of Thain used to receive."

"Yes, I do have the two of you, and that is comforting.  However, who's going to convince the Tooks that I really am the best hobbit to succeed my father in this office?  Many think that Regi should have been the chosen one.  They think I'm too connected to the Outside, and to Buckland, to be a proper Took.  Ever since I moved back here, even before Faramir was born, I've had people who want to disagree with me on everything.  There have actually been bright, sunny days when I've commented that it is a lovely day only to hear more than one person say something like 'No it's not.  It's too bright', or "It's too warm', or any number of other negative comments.  They want to be contrary just because I said or did something that, if someone else said or did, would be applauded."

"Now, Pippin, didn't Regi send you a message that you have more support than you realize here?"

"Yes, he did, but it is hard to put a life's worth of doubt behind me on the word of a couple of cousins."

"Well then, you'll just have to prove the nay-sayers wrong with your wise decisions and responsible behavior."

"It's that last part that will be the challenge."  At this Pippin actually smiled which reassured Merry that his younger cousin was recovering his good humor at last.

"How about a toast to the future, then?" said Merry, reaching for a couple of glasses and a bottle of the Hall's finest brandy that was in the Thain's liquor cabinet.  "Then it will be off for a quick luncheon and to get ready for your official installation."

-----

Pippin did more pushing his food around his plate than he did actually eating.  After about 15 minutes, he laid his fork down and, propping his elbows on the table, cupped his chin in his hands.  "I can't eat," he stated simply.  "I haven't been this nervous since my wedding."

Merry pushed his nearly empty plate away and laid his napkin on the table.  "You're hopeless, " he said.  "Let's go get you ready for your installation ceremony.  The sooner this is over, the sooner we'll get the old Peregrin back."

"Do you know what you're wearing for this?" Merry asked as they walked into Pippin and Diamond's sitting room.

Pippin shook his head.  "I have no idea.  It's not like I had time to have anything made for the occasion.  I'd thought about maybe wearing my Gondorian livery."

Merry shook his head.  "That probably would not be the best choice.  You want to reassure everyone that your heart and mind are focused here, with your people, and not wandering away into lands they cannot imagine.  What about wearing the suit you wore for your mother's last birthday?  It was rich enough looking that no one would question your status but it definitely is what any hobbit from one the wealthier families would wear."

"You're right, as usual, Merry.  Besides, Diamond likes that one.  She says it brings out my eyes."

"By all means, you should listen to your wife at a time like this.  You want her on your side at the end of the day."

At the sound of her husband's voice, Diamond entered the sitting room.  She was dressed in a dress of pastel green.  It was made in the style of most hobbit dresses but it had a neckline that plunged lower than was customary in the Shire.  Instead of having a traditional bodice, it had a wide corseted sash that cinched tightly about her waist.

Pippin's eyes opened wide at the sight of his wife.  "You are as beautiful as ever," he said going to her and taking both of her hands in his.

"Thank you my Thain," she answered with a giggle.  "Now it is time to make you presentable to your people."

"I'll leave him in your capable hands," said Merry as he stepped to the door.  "I believe now that I am grateful that my own lovely bride was unable to accompany me on this occasion.”

“Oh,” replied Diamond, “she may not be here but, trust me, I can keep my eye on the both of you.  Haven’t you learned after all this time that Stella and I can be as formidable a team as the two of you?”

Merry made a hasty exit.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List