Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Estel - Hope  by Laikwalâssê

Estel - Hope

Chapter 7:  discussions and decisions

“What are you thinking?” Vairë asked her spouse.

The Lord of Mandos was leaning casually against a great pillar. Námo turned and smiled at the question.

“As if you do not know what I’m thinking,” he answered amused.

Both Valar had taken their bodily appearance, even though it was unnecessary. The Lord of Mandos was standing at the outer ring of the Máhanaxar, looking out over the Ezellohar seemingly into nothing.

He was a sight to behold. The Vala was dressed in a long robe of black satin fastened by a broad belt inlaid with sparkling gems. His shining hair was flowing freely down his back past his waist. A beautiful butterfly clasp made of mithril held his hair in place just behind his neck.

Vairë was no less beautiful in appearance. As tall as her spouse, she was also dressed in a long robe, hers of shining yellow interspersed with glittering golden threads. The fabric was molded to her small hips needing no belt to hold it. Accenting her décolleté was a fine necklace of emeralds, highlighting and matching her green eyes.

Vairë smiled at her husband´s reply. Of course, she knew what was on his mind, yet after indulging him by taking on the appearance of the Children, she continued to play along.

“I want to hear it from your lips, my love,” she replied while circling her arms around her husband’s waist. Námo immediately regretted their physical bodies because he was unable to react appropriately to his lover’s affectionate display.

Swearing to make up for the neglect, he concentrated his thoughts on the present.

“I’m thinking about our three Peredhil, of course,” Námo said with an echo of sadness in his voice.

Vairë nodded. As the weaver of the fates of Arda, she knew well what plagued the Half-elven family.

“And you want to do what against this possible tragedy?” she asked, her voice no more then a whisper.

Námo turned and his eyes met those of his wife. For some moments time stood still. He knew it would be fruitless to ask how the life-string of the elves would develop, although his wife was fixing the history of Arda with every thread she wove into her tapestries.

After a deep sigh, Námo turned to look over the green hill once more.

“I will talk to all three of them and determine where the core of the problem lies. Perhaps this will help to solve their misunderstandings.”

Vairë smiled, having long before determined what her spouse was planning. This would be no simple talk but sometimes deep-rooted problems required extraordinary measures.

After agreeing to her husband’s plan Vairë demanded payment of her spouse’s earlier promise. Both Valar instantly abandoned their bodily forms and their radiant spheres mingled until only a blinding light could be seen, much too bright for any mortal eye to look upon.

……………………………………….

“Welcome child, be at peace.”

The Lord of Imladris blinked at the white light that seemed to come from everywhere, the ceiling, the floor and the walls. Although it was shining brightly, it was not blinding. He realized he felt safe and cared for - a feeling he hadn’t experienced for a long time.

Elrond rose from the pallet upon which he had been lying. Even though it held neither pillow nor covering, it had felt comfortable and cosy beneath him.

“Where I am?” Elrond asked. Although he had some idea, he could not resist asking. He was well aware that he had given up his existence, that he had willingly started the process of fading.

Even though he felt that he was not alone and being watched, Elrond cross the room to the only door he could make out. On his way, he briefly wondered how he could open the door because it had no doorknob.

“Where do you want to be and where do you want to go?” came the cryptic reply and Elrond stopped moving. It was a good question, he thought.

“I’m dead?” he asked hesitantly.

“Do you wish to leave the world of the living?” The voice seemed to come from everywhere and nowhere at once.

Elrond was stunned and angry. Did he truly want to die? It seemed that being in this strange room already indicated that he had left his earthly existence behind him. Why, then, was he being questioned? He almost growled; speaking to thin air unnerved him.

No sooner had these thoughts crossed his mind than the air suddenly smelled pleasantly different and a figure clad in pure white appeared from nowhere. Even if the Being looked like an elf on fist glance, Elrond was sure it was not.

“You wanted to speak to me personally, child? Here I am. I’m Námo, the caretaker of souls.”

Elrond swallowed. He had expected some of the Valar appearing, yet to stand face to face with the Lord of Mandos left him reeling.

After seconds, or was it moments, the face with the gentle eyes looking down at him changed and some of sternness returned to its features.

“I ask you again, Eärendilion. Do you want to give up life and leave Middle-earth behind?”

Although "yes" was on his lips, the word did not leave his mouth. He questioned himself. Did he want to? Did he really want to die?

Námo smiled again and before Elrond could blink, his vision blurred and he found himself in a wondrous surrounding. He instantly recognized the vale of Imladris, yet it held no buildings. Indeed, there was no trace that it had ever been occupied by anyone…

 

………………………………………..

 

Elladan had walked along the river Bruinen aimlessly. He had no desire to stay, yet he did not know where to go either. At any minute, he expected the severing of the bond connecting him with his father. He did not know what exactly would happen, but he did not see any chance to alter their fate.

He had returned home full of hope, with the wish to make right the pain he had caused. Now, however, he did not know if he even wanted to go on living himself. Since his mother’s departure, nothing had been as before. He wished that one day he could feel good again, free from any guilt or sorrow.

Seeing an exceptionally lovely place in a bend of the river Elladan let himself sink into the grass directing his gaze out onto the glittering surface of the river. The sound of a nearby waterfall and the swirling of small wavelets had always soothed his troubled mind. Yet the effect did not work its usual calming influence this time.

He was just about to rise again when he caught sight of a tiny shining speck on the water´s surface. He narrowed his eyes in disbelief when the bright point seemed to remain at the same location while growing brighter in intensity.

He had already partly closed his eyes to avoid blindness when the light suddenly exploded. For a short moment, his vision blurred and his perceptions were deadened.

After blinking several times Elladan sprang to his feet. The river was still in front of him but his surroundings had changed significantly. He was still at Imladris but the land seemed much wilder and uncultivated, in fact not touched by any being....

 

………………………………………

Elrohir was leisurely grooming his horse. Never, since his earliest childhood had his love for horses diminished. They were his companions and often silent but observant listeners.

Many a problem he had told his brown mare and she had managed, through a nudge or a whinny, to make him feel better. He had committed his inner thoughts to his faithful steed; thoughts that he had shared with no one else, not even his brother.

Today, however, the company brought him no comfort. Tindóme was restless and did not hold still for grooming. Elrohir sighed and after sharing an apple with her, he turned to leave the stall. His eye was caught by something on the ground partially hidden beneath the straw.

After swallowing the last remnant of the apple, he bent down, reaching for the shining object. A small, hot flash issued from the item, sending a short, intense pain up his arm.

Elrohir was thrown backwards and when he opened his eyes again he gasped in amazement. He could see the stars above him. The roof of the stable had vanished. Slowly he sat up and swallowed hard. The entire stable had disappeared.

His surroundings were still familiar, yet at the same time foreign. The steep walls of familiar mountains still loomed overhead and the roar of the great waterfall could be heard, yet the trees and the wide meadows seemed lusher and somehow wilder.

Elrohir swallowed hard. This was undoubtedly Imladris, his home, yet after a long look around, he felt utterly alone here. No other soul seemed to reside in the vale. Suddenly he shivered. It looked as if no soul had ever seen, let alone set foot in the valley.

To be continued…………………….

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List