Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Changes and Acceptances  by Mirkwoodmaiden

Menelwie's Page-all things LOTR

Together again

The next day...

During a wonderfully satisfying Elevenses, which had included much to Pippin's delight, Cold Roasted Parsnip Pie, it became a debatable point whether parsnip pie was best eaten warm, fresh out of the oven or rather to allow it to cool and be eaten cold the next day. Such was the usual manner of conversation that could be overheard during Elevenses (and every other meal for that matter) in the Shire. And the table at Bag End during this Elevenes was no exception. Rosie, being the far-seeing lass that she was, decided that it was a good idea to make one pie for evening Supper and to specially prepare another pie to cool and be eaten at Elevenses the next day so that each experience could be fresh in the minds of the debaters, not that it would be ever truly resolved, this debate had long raged in the four farthings of the Shire. But this was not the point, the discussion was the thing, to be enjoyed as much as the actual eating of the dish under scrutiny, both gastronomic and verbal.

The newcomers had added an new edge to this discussion as their observations on this specific meal had never been heard before, the others usually trotted out the same arguments and rebuttals and laughed at the same denials they had when they'd last had this dish. Legolas, who was becoming more hobbit-like in his appreciation of food, added much to the conversation and was able to describe a different taste to his meal as he had it with the dark red wine that Frodo had had specially shipped in for the Wood Elf's occasional visits to the Shire rather than ale as was the Hobbits' practice. Elves enjoy their food, as they enjoy all things of beauty and accomplishment, but they do not discuss it at any great length, as do Hobbits, in fact when Legolas returned to his father's halls in Mirkwood he continued this very hobbit-like custom and had earned some very odd looks indeed from the other Elves.

Gimli on the other hand had been quite accustomed to the drinking of ale with dinner and often disagreed with the Elf on many observations about the meal, mostly to goad his friend, but at times to add some new insight that was applauded by the Hobbits.

Laughter and merriment were heard at the table. Rosie and Poppy served up the meal and then settled to tuck in themselves. It was expected in Hobbit households that the womenfolk serve up the meal but those who wanted seconds and thirds were to simply serve themselves and others as was needed. Food was simply too important to allow anyone's to grow cold. Ale mugs clinked across the table and tales exchanged.

Little Elanor sat on many laps during the meal but she seem to favour Legolas' for the lion's portion of it. "I think you've made a conquest there, my dear friend." Frodo said.

Legolas laughed and said, "That is well! For I do not think I should like to be parted from my little lady anytime soon." With that he proffered a broccoli spear to the toddler and she grabbed it and ate it with relish.

Rosie exclaimed, "Oh, I see! the little missus will eat her greens for Legolas, but never for me!" cheerily feigning a shock and astonishment.

Gimli harrumphed, "Bewitching children, that is what they teach these Elves in the Greenwood."

"Peace, Gimli! It is my innate charm that woos the child! Nothing more!" Legolas grinned in a mock superior way. At this Elanor reached for Legolas' crystal wine goblet, attracted to the shimmer and the deep red colour. "No, Gil-dithen nin! Wine is not for you." Legolas said putting the wine out of reach from the tiny hands. Elanor pouted a bit, not sure if she liked to this turn of events
.
Pippin said "Let her have some!"

Gimli added, "Yes, let's see if she is as charmed by Elf victuals as she is by Elves.

"All right, friend Gimli, we shall see!" Legolas gently brought the goblet up to the little girl's lips and she took a wee sip. She was still for a second and then she began to smack her lips and her face wore a delighted smile. All seated at the table, save Gimli, broke into peals of laughter. Legolas hugged the small child, exclaiming, "You have a dash of Elvish spirit, amid all that hobbit good sense, Gil-dithen nin!" Elanor sensing that she was the cause of the merriment broke into a fit of giggles.

Gimli simply harrumphed "Elven mischief!" but the twinkle in his eye belied his gruff expression.

***
A few months earlier...
"I would go, Aragorn, and you cannot stop me." Arwen stated flatly staring out the window of their bedchamber high up, in the Citadel on the seventh level of Minas Tirith. Her voice softened, "My place is with you, my love, and you mean to go, so I will also."

"But the baby..." Aragorn replied his voice filled with worry.

"The baby will be fine, I'm only seven months along, I will carry for another five months yet. We will be back long before my confinement" Arwen reasoned calmly, walking over from the window to hold his hands in hers. "We can even take a leisurely pace and still arrive back in Minas Tirith with much time to spare."

Aragorn remained unsure as he gazed at his ethereal wife, she would always remain Elven to him, her beauty, her grace, her wisdom. He, at times, still could not believe, let alone comprehend that she had chosen him, at what she had given up for him. The thought often left him humbled. He was fearful for their child if she undertook this journey to the Shire, but he also realised there were times when she would not be gainsaid. This was proving just such a time. And if he was honest with himself the Valar protect both of us. He dearly wanted her at his side. He had come to depend on her words and her wisdom in the practice of statecraft and yet she also knew when he needed to escape the pressures of kingship even if that escape existed only within the confines of their private apartments in the Citadel. She sensed what he needed and when he needed it. She had become his heart and his head, his other self. Their lives had become entwined to such an extent that it was almost physically painful to be apart from her for any real length of time. Aragorn slightly furrowed his brow and, giving in, said "The pace will be leisurely, and we will take a healer with us so that she can protect you in any way that I cannot. We shall leave on the morrow early."

Arwen smiled serenely, "Of course, my love."

Aragorn beheld her face, so close he was that he could see the flecks of soft violet in the seas of her blue eyes. "Why can I deny you nothing?"

Arwen said drawing closer her hands locked in his at their sides "Because we are one, my love. I must be at your side through this life's journey."

Aragorn softly sighed and kissed her forehead, "I must go and see to the final preparations for tomorrow's departure. I will see you at evening meal."

"Until then," replied Arwen. And with that he was gone. Arwen breathed a shuddering sigh of relief. She had been unsure if she was going to be able to stand her ground and demand that she accompany him on this trip. She spoke truly when she had said they were one, with him she felt strong, confident and beautiful, without him there were times when she felt unsure, lost, alone. And when these feelings, so unfamiliar throughout her 3,000 years of life, did occur they unnerved her. She was still Elven in many senses of the word. She still perceived, thought and sensed as an Elf. These qualities had not dimmed, nor did she think that they would. The choice of Luthien simply meant that she had chosen a different destiny from that of all her kindred, save one. She did not fully understand it, but she knew that one day she would simply accept the Gift of Iluvatar and join Aragorn beyond the walls of this world.

The feelings of loneliness and isolation always lessened and she again felt contentment with her choices in life. But they never left completely. She could never tell Aragorn of this. She knew that he would willingly share this burden with her but she could not allow that. She would share her soul, her life, her mind with him, share his bed and bear his children. She knew he carried his own feelings of pain and not-quite-regret for what she had decided and she could never add her own. This was her burden to shoulder and shoulder it she would. She only asked that he be with her to share his life with her, that would be the only way her loneliness would be assuaged and make her burden easier to carry. Their love was strong and it would endure, binding their separate lives into one. It would be enough.

Arwen shook herself from such somber and serious thoughts and left for the Houses of Healing to speak with Ioreth about her possible company on the journey north.

***

On the banks of the Brandywine, two months later

"Faramir, where is Aragorn?"
The Steward of Gondor looked up from the parchment he was perusing about lumber needed at a settlement in southern Eriador, to see Arwen looking inquiringly at him.

He smiled, "Lost your husband again, my lady?"

"Well, when the wanderlust takes him, he's harder to keep trackof than your little one!"

"Young Elboron can be a handful at times, that much is true. But then again so could his uncle." Faramir laughed softly as he thought of his beloved older brother.

"Do you still miss him?" Arwen said half speaking about the fallen Captain of Gondor and half about his rambunctious little namesake.

"More than you know," Faramir said wistfully, but without that pain had taken him so long to get over, now only the remembered and shared love flitted across his gentle blue eyes. "As for the little terror that bears his name. Yes, and I fear that when we return, half of Dol Amroth will be wrecked beyond repair due to his little lordship's er...'energy'." Faramir said ruefully but not without humour, "But he was too young to make the trip and my uncle said he would be happy to have him!" he ended doubtfully.

"But to answer your question, my lady, let me show you." At this he got up and ushered Arwen gently by the arm to the path that led to the little hillock where Aragorn had retired to. At that he left with a bow and concerned look up the hill.

***

The trip north was as promised, a leisurely one, Aragorn had made sure of that. And it had served a dual purpose. While the ultimate destination was the Shire, Aragorn had decided make a progress through the countryside leading to the Shire in order to survey not only the old but the new settlements that were starting up after the reunion of Gondor and Arnor. People in the more populated areas of Gondor had been invited by the King to take up settlements in the deserted north so that it might once again become happy and prosperous. The offer had been taken up with enthusiasm by many and Aragorn felt it was time that he personally see the successes and tend to the difficulties that had been encountered by the settlers. The progress had been successful and informative, much there was mull over when he returned to the Gondorian capital.

But thankfully, on the morrow, most of the party would return home and only a small private party including Arwen, himself, Faramir and Eowyn and one outrider especially known to Pippin, Beregond would move onto the Shire proper.
The amount of supplies needed to properly outfit a progress of even modest size as this was, offended his Dunedin sensibilities, the need to move swiftly and unencumbered had been learned at an early age. Aragorn understood that by necessity such a progress had to include outriders for pomp and protection; scribes for the keeping of records, but it still chafed him as he surveyed the campsite of many tents, the largest flying the King's standard of the tree and crowned seven stars, from the top of a small hillock slightly removed from the site. During his time as a Ranger such an camp in a relatively open space would have been unheard of. Danger had always been a part of being a Ranger, but there was also a certain simplicity. He stifled a sigh.

"I know that look, my love, you're thinking fondly again of your Ranger days, are you not?

He turned. There stood Arwen, now heavily pregnant and yet still managing to radiate an ethereal beauty.

Aragon laughed softly, "Again, you read my thoughts." He said holding out his hand to help Arwen the last few steps up the gentle incline and then saw her settled on the rock next where he stood, "You have to admit through, it was less complicated."

"If you can call ever-present danger, unyielding pressure and not knowing whether each day was going to be your last simple, then yes, it was much less complicated." Arwen gently teased.

Aragorn laughed, "Ah, but stale lembas and bitter ale can make for such a lovely evening meal."

"Stale lembas, indeed! Never has there been such a thing." Arwen protested feigning offence. At that moment the baby chose to make its presence felt, delivering a sharp kick inside Arwen's stomach causing her to flinch slightly.

Aragorn immediately knelt by her side, concern flashing through his eyes, "Are you all right my love!"

Arwen straighten, her eyes serene once again. "I am well. Although the little minx inside is certainly in hurry to see the rest of the world." she said amusedly.

It had been a month since they had left Eomer and the comforts of the Golden Hall of Meduseld, two since Minas Tirith and still Thank the Valar he thought, Arwen was the picture of health. Aragorn still doubted his sanity for not trying harder to keep Arwen in Minas Tirith. But, even as he thought it, he knew it for the lie it was. He wanted her here as much as she had wanted to come. And what was more, he sensed that there was a reason for her to make this trip, although what that reason was, he had yet to fathom.

"Shall we go back down?" he inquired of Arwen.

"No, No. Let's stay for awhile, it is such a beautiful place. I just want a few quiet moments alone in such greenness reborn. It has been too long..." her voice trailed off.

Aragon looked at her, a flash of guilt and regret lighting his eyes. She sat gazing peacefully at the green lushness of the Shire and the gentle rolling of the Brandywine beyond and never saw the look of pain and guilt on Aragorn's face. Which was just as well. Aragorn had sensed that her spirit was troubled and did not know how to ease it. He would not have her bear his sorrows and pain when she clearly had her own to carry. He hesitated to invade her innermost thoughts, partially as his deepest fear was that she was beginning to doubt her decision to stay with him. Coward, she is in pain and you hesitate to try and ease it, lest it should give you grief. He inwardly sighed. It was true he could not even imagine the bereft life he would have led if Arwen had not made Luthien's choice. He could bear anything and had withstood much with Arwen in his heart, near his soul. But this shadow slowly falling upon her was pulling her away from him and he felt powerless to prevent it. He voiced none of this, however, and simply slipped a protective arm around Arwen, into which she instinctively turned and laid her head on his shoulder. There they sat quietly in the reawakening Shire until evening began falling.

The awakening Shire with its noises and fragrant smells could fill anybody with a sense of well-being and it had done its level best to help restore the spirits of King Elessar and his queen. So that by the time Faramir came upon them saying "Forgive the intrusion, my liege, but you did ask that you be sought at evenfall." bowing slightly, they had both felt greatly revived in spirit.

"Of course, Faramir! We were going to go over the reports to be sent back with the rest of the party, were we not!" Aragorn said sounding more like himself.

"Yes, my lord." Faramir looked at his King, the man he respected above all others. He had been perceiving a restlessness from his friend for most of this journey. He knew that much of the small amount of pomp that had accompanied the progress had made the former ranger uneasy, but he did not think that was it. As his Steward it was not his place to speculate, as his friend, though, Faramir could not help but be somewhat concerned for him.

***

They reached the edge of Hobbiton the day after next during Elevenes, a hobbit meal time that had taken Gondorian cooks a while to believe existed anywhere other than young Pippin Took's imagination. Many in Gondor had a hard time believing that people so small as Hobbits could actually consume six meals in a day, but after noting their rather large capacity for displaying tenacity, valorous deeds and courage in abundance, those that knew the Hobbits had learned they were capable of much that was amazing.

Riding through Hobbiton Aragorn could see that the little village was again prospering and most signs of the ravages of war that had unfortunately scarred this lovely little village had been wiped away through the work of its industrious people.

Just before the party reached New Row Aragorn slowed by a head to allow Faramir to catch up to him. The King leaned conspiratorially forward, encouraging his Steward to do the same. Aragorn looked at Faramir with a gleam in his eye. "What are you thinking, my lord?" Faramir asked returning his mischievous look.

Arwen, sidesaddle upon her gray palfrey, just behind Aragorn threw Eowyn an amused, yet exasperated look that said "Men, will they ever be boys!" Eowyn softly chuckled shaking her head. looking at the tousled reddish blond head of her husband bobbing up and down in enthusiastic agreement. "Now you know where young Elboron, gets his mischievous streak, Faramir encourages him, he says he doesn't, but he does!"

Faramir straighten up and turned to his wife, feigning wounded pride, "I beg your pardon, my love, by that is simply not true, I am trying to teach my son to be the soul of propriety and correct behaviour."

"Oh, is that so, my lord. Then how do you explain a month ago," she turned to Arwen, "Elboron wanted to change the colour of the black kitchen cat, I found him and the cat covered in flour. I asked him who told him that flour could change a cat's colour, he said 'Papa!' and then just last week an inflated pig's bladder came flying past me, breaking a precious vase given to us by Prince Imrahil. Running after the bladder came my two boys, one big, one little, laughing!" Eowyn sent an amused, pointed look at Faramir, who was blushing but had brought his horse level with theirs. "Enough, madam! I am guilty!" He leaned over and kissed Eowyn lingeringly, "Am I forgiven?" he said pulling back a little, smiling in a slightly wicked way.

It was Eowyn's turn to blush, but she rallied quickly, "I'll consider it, my lord! But for right now, I'm hungry! What's the plan my liege lord! I'm at your service."

Aragorn had been gazing at the young couple, so glad was he they were happy. He could not think of two people who deserved it more. "Well, Hobbits always finish off Elevenes with a specially prepared ale. Frodo will have it cooling in the stream by the house, we shall take the ale out of the stream and then see what mischief can transpire from there."

"Beregond,"

"Yes, my liege!" the Captain of the White Company rode up level to his King.

"Do you feel up to a little pilfering!" Aragorn said the gleam returning to his eye.

"Most definitely, my liege!"

"Good, it is settled. They do not know you are accompanying us, so no suspicions will be aroused and it will be a doubly pleasant surprise. Be off now, the stream is around to the side of the house you can't miss it. Give us about fifteen minutes and then knock on the door."

"At once, my liege!" Beregond crowed and took off past them on his mission of mischief.

With the plan set in motion, the two couples continued up New Row until they came upon Bag End. Boisterous laughter and merriment sounded from inside. Aragorn dismounted and helped Arwen down from her palfrey. Faramir saw to the tethering of the four horses.

After his knock, he heard a bit of scurrying and the opening door revealed Pippin holding the cutest blonde little Hobbit child he'd ever seen. Large blue eyes met his and he was instantly charmed. "Hallo! Strider!" Pippin exclaimed irrepressible as ever, "Merry, Frodo, Sam, it's Strider! So good to see you! You remember little Elanor, don't you?"

"Of course I do! Mae Govannen! little one!" Aragorn put his right hand over his heart in greeting.

Pippin said in the child's ear, "This is your King, my little love!" Elanor gurgled and granted Aragorn a big smile.
"It is she who rules over my heart, I'm sure!" Aragorn effused, "Sam, she's beautiful. Mind if I hold her?"

"You need not ask, Aragorn" Sam, who had walked over to the door to greet him, said shyly, "Of course!"

Aragorn held the beautiful child in his arms and said, "Soon she will have somebody to play with when you come visiting!"

Arwen entered at that moment and the astonished Hobbits noticed that she was well gone with child. Many voices erupted at once as they crowded around the expectant couple "Congratulations!" "Why didn't you tell us!" "This is wonderful" "Legolas, Gimli did you know about this!"

Rosie broke through all the hub-bub, "This all well and I'm sure that we all wish them joy, but I'm thinking that My lady Arwen would dearly love to sit down right now in a nice comfortable chair and relax!" she said knowingly looking at Arwen, smiling.

Arwen smiled gratefully, "Thank you, Rosie, that would be most welcome."

"These men, don't know the first thing" Rosie confided in a friendly manner to Arwen, "Sam, move that chair over here near the table." she commanded."Yes, dear!" Sam said to the amusement of the new arrivals and a few of the old ones.
"You needn't go to that much trouble, my dear." Arwen deferred.

"Nonsense! We'll be at the table for a while yet and you need to be comfortable. Sam doesn't mind, do you, my love."
"No, dear!" Sam said automatically, lugging the upholstered chair towards the table, again to the amusement of old and new arrivals.

As Arwen was properly installed in the plush chair, Faramir knocked on the open doorframe. "Is there any room for two more!" Frodo was the first to the door.

"Faramir! Eowyn! Oh! It is good to see you both!" he said clasping Faramir's hand in both of his. "How is little Elboron, is he well?"

"Quite well and probably laying waste to half of Dol Amroth as we speak, Prince Imrahil will never forgive us, I'm sure!" Eowyn announced, laughing.

Gimli surveyed the Steward of Gondor and the White Lady of Rohan "Well, Master Steward, I see marriage continues to agree with you both" he said gruffly, but with an approving eye.

Faramir looked at Gimli, and then looked long at Eowyn, greeting Pippin and Merry, love filling his eyes and gratitude filling his heart. She has chosen him, loved him and helped him through some very difficult times. While he had long loved her past distraction, it had taken him a while to learn to accept her love, but those times were past, he now knew that he came first in her heart.

"Yes, Gimli. It does."

Legolas came over, saying by way greeting, as his hands were full of the child he had just retrieved from Aragorn, "That is so good to hear, my friend! And now, I must introduce you to the lady that has stolen my heart, Elanor, Gil-dithen lend nín, this is Faramir." Legolas looked at the Steward, "She's Sam and Rosie's daughter."

Young blue eyes sought older ones and they responded warmly to the gentleness they saw there.

"Gil-dithen lend nín, my sweet little star" Faramir translated aptly, " How perfectly nicknamed you are!" He laughed softly hearing a responding little laugh from the bundle of child in Legolas' arms. "Can I hold her?"

"Of course!"

Faramir held the child in his arms, rocking her back and forth. He caught Eowyn looking at him and little Elanor warmly. He smiled at her as if to say, "Elboron needs a little sister to protect." Eowyn glowed her assent.

Faramir then over heard Aragorn state, "Even though the meal has not yet finished, I have it in my mind that along with the Cold Parsnip Pie I should like to sample some of that fine Elevenes brew that I had last time we visited."
"No fair!" Merry exclaimed, "that is for aftermeal only, you know that, Strider!"

"Would you deny your King? Over many leagues have we traveled only to find hospitality lacking!" Aragorn stated with a slightly mischievous grin.

Frodo, suspecting some trick, decided to play along, "If Aragorn wants Elevenes brew then, Elevenes brew he shall have. Poppy!"

The dark-haired maid looked up from her over laden plate, "Yes, 1Master Frodo!"

"Fetch the Elevenes brew from the stream, it should be cool enough by now."

"All right, Master, if you say so," but the look on Poppy's face implied that she didn't hold with this break in tradition.
"Ah! A fine ale that was!" Aragorn stated to nobody in particular.

A few minutes later Poppy came back looking a little flustered as if she'd run back to the house. "The ale, Mr. Frodo, it is not there!" Loud dismay was heard from all the assembled Hobbits.

Now a missing cask of ale might not seem a very large tragedy, but given the Hobbits' love of food, it was certainly a very unfortunate event, at least.

Frodo sent a gently accusing glance in Aragorn's direction; Aragorn returned a glance of affronted innocence, which was belied by a twitch of his mouth, threatening to break into a grin.

At that moment, a knock was heard at the door, this time Poppy went to answer it, opening it wide.

"Is anyone missing a cask of ale? A passing vagabond sold it to me cheap!"

Pippin had been near the door when it was opened and he nearly dropped the meat pie he had been eating as he shouted, "Beregond!" rushing at the Captain of the White Company, Guard of Ithilien to crush him in a bear-like Hobbit hug almost dislodging the cask from atop Beregond's shoulder with the force of contact. "We didn't know you were coming!"

Beregond almost toppled over, laughing, "It's nice to see you, too. Pippin!"

"Now, who ?" Beregond inquired after being released from the Hobbit hug Pippin had delivered. Exclamations of "Me!" were heard and hands larger and smaller shot up.

Frodo remarked dryly but not without great amusement, "Well, as it is my ale, after all, I think I'll have some, too." casting a look at Aragorn. The former ranger, no longer restraining the huge grin, laughed, "I'm sorry Frodo, I just could not resist."

Frodo laughed, "Join me in a toast, then!"

After all had been served a portion of the fine ale, Frodo said, "To the reunion of good friends who see far too little of each other! I'm so glad that you are all with me here this day!"

All drank heartily and returned to the fine meal that had been laid before them. Much laughing and storytelling ensued, a child's delighted giggle heard above all.

*****************





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List