Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Never Alone  by Nieriel Raina


  Five


  Minas Tirith, Gondor

2 Lothron, Year 29 F.A.

Seated on his balcony, Gimli looked out over the city of Minas Tirith. His pipe rested distractedly in the corner of his mouth, and every so often he would take a puff from it. He was lost in thought, his mind on the elf, when a knock sounded on the door.

He left his pipe on the stone railing before entering his room. When he opened the door, he found Aragorn standing in the hall. There was no mistaking the expression of concern and worry written on that well-known face.

Gimli frowned, "I take it you received news of the elf?"

Aragorn's eyes were hard as he nodded. "Yes, from more than one source, including his own hand."


  His own hand? Legolas had written Aragorn?

The thought disturbed him, but he did not show it. He moved aside as Aragorn entered the room.

The man went straight out to the balcony without a word, and Gimli closed his door and followed. There was the possibility that if Aragorn had heard from the elf, then Legolas was fine. Perhaps, he himself had missed a message from Legolas in traveling here.

And Gimli could almost convince himself of that if it were not for the hard look in Aragorn's eyes. The stern silence was evidence enough that all was not well with Legolas.

Gimli picked up his pipe and settled back into his chair. He waited, watching the man standing at the balcony railing, knowing Aragorn would speak when he was ready. It was not always easy to be so patient, and once upon a time, he would have demanded answers. But if years of close friendship with a flighty elf had taught him nothing else, it had instilled in him a level of patience not common to his race.

Aragorn looked out over the city for a few minutes, where Gimli noted the white buildings now reflected the early afternoon sun.

It was a beautiful city. White stone built right into the Mountain. A dwarf appreciated it far more than an elf. He and Legolas had spent many an evening on this balcony arguing that point. The elf did not appreciate the starkness of white stone, though Gimli compared it to the stone of the Elvenking's Halls.

"Not so!" Legolas had argued. "Our halls are carved of living stone, of living places. This—" He waved his hand out over the city. "This is dead."

But Gimli had shaken his head. "Nay, tis not, my friend. Look." And he pointed to the pockets of green, the people moving about the streets, the carvings of kings long dead. It was alive with memory as well as the present. And while Legolas had scoffed, Gimli had seen the appreciation in his friend's eyes, the understanding. But yet he had argued, because that is what they did.

Aragorn turned around, and Gimli blinked away the memories. Without a word, with a firm tightness to his jaw, the man handed over several opened letters.

Gimli took them without a word and began to read the one written in Legolas's hand. It was addressed nearly a full year past!


  7 Nórui, Year 28 F.A.

Ascarnen, Ithilien


  Estel,


  It will be some time before you receive this, as you were leaving for Dol Amroth when last I saw you. This past Spring, my father visited with some discouraging news. It seems there is disparity between my own people that I myself was unaware existed. Perhaps, with my own longing, I should not be surprised, and yet, I find it difficult to believe. I had thought I was torn between two worlds, that of mortals and the calling of the West. Yet I find myself torn between the different worlds of my people, who I had always been taught to believe lived as one. And why would I not, my father of Doriath, and my mother of the Greenwood?


  Alas, I am one of few. the distinctions between the Sindar and the Silvan too great in the end. The Silvan, or woodelves as you call them, are returning to reclaim their homes south in the Mountains of Greenwood. They wish to return to the lives they once had, free of interference or unwanted contact with other races.


  And my father's people? You would think they would be going with them, but to my surprise, an awakening has occurred in them. They are sailing West.


  Are you as surprised as I am, my friend? I was shocked.


  There are some few who do not wish to sail at this time, and they shall be joining us here in Ithilien or traveling to Imadris, where Elladan and Elrohir have offered a home. Likewise, there are several here in Ithilien who will sail with the king.

Gimli paused, glancing up at Aragorn in alarm. Surely the elf was not leaving? He was almost afraid to continue reading.

"He is not going," Aragorn reassured with a small smile. "Not yet. I also felt my heart drop as I read about the Sindar sailing. Keep reading."

Gimli inhaled deeply and let his eyes find where he had left off the elf's neat script.


  I shall be joining those headed north, to spend these last months with my family. My father has requested it, and I have agreed. I know what you are thinking, and while I would usually take Gimli with me on such a trip, I feel this is a private matter. I cannot put it into words other than to say I feel I must say my goodbyes alone.


  Gimli knows I am making a trip, but I have not yet had the heart to reveal to him this news. He will be angry with me, no doubt, for keeping it from him until after the fact, but I shall travel to Rohan on my return trip to inform him and seek solace in the feasting of his kin. The dwarves do know how to lighten one's heart, do they not?


  Do not fear for me, for while much earlier than anticipated, it was inevitable that others would sail before me. King Thranduil leads his people to the Havens in the spring of next year. I will stay in Eryn Lasgalen until that time, then spend some time saying my goodbyes to that wood of my birth. I fear I will never again return to it.


  If you see the dwarf while I am away, assure him I am fine. I will visit him by the end of Gwirith of next year, then I will come to Minas Tirith for that long visit we talked about. I am sure you and Arwen, more than anyone, understand what this time will mean for me. I look forward to that hunt we spoke of; perhaps we should invite Faramir and Eldarion as well?


  Take care my friend, until I see you again.


  Legolas

Gimli looked up from the letter, many emotions swirling inside him: concern, anger, fear... Anger won out. "What was he thinking, Aragorn? To face that alone? On top of the sea longing? He has lost his mind!" His voice had started low, but grew louder as he spoke.

Aragorn shook his head. "I understand his need to say his goodbyes alone, Gimli. It is...an elven thing. However, I agree with you. This was foolishness. If I had received this letter earlier, I would have sent word to you…and perhaps even accompanied you to Eryn Lasgalen." The man took a deep breath and his eyes fell, "There is more, Gimli. Read the others."

His anger fizzled out as fear reared its ugly head. Gimli's eyes flew to the other two letters in his hand. He quickly opened the one from Tathar, Legolas' second in command, noting it must have been written this morning. Tathar had made haste in sending a message back.

2 Lothron, Year 29 F.A.

Ascarnen, Ithilien


  King Elessar,


  I must apologize for an oversight on our part, and thus for your concern for my lord. Your missive was timely, as only last evening we discovered a letter Legolas had addressed to you, before he set out on a trip to Eryn Lasgalen. It, along with instructions to send it to you, upon your return from Dol Amroth, seemed to have been misplaced by a gust of wind. They were found behind his writing desk when Tiriel insisted upon cleaning Legolas's rooms in preparation for his return.


  I am certain the enclosed correspondence from Legolas explains his absence from Ithilien, however, I feel I must also relay my concerns for him to you. King Thranduil and the Sindar of Eryn Lasgalen have chosen to sail, and in fact, were due to leave early this spring. The King himself informed me they would leave on 1 Gwirith of this year, and he as a father was concerned Legolas would be full of grief at their departure. I was given instructions to go after him if he had not returned by the first of Lothron, and was making arrangements to send an escort after him when I received your missive.


  However, it would not surprise me if upon hearing this news Gimli chose to go himself, perhaps with you as company. In which case I shall respect the bonds of friendship by allowing the two of you to handle the matter yourselves. If not, please send word and I will depart myself and bring him back to where he belongs.


  Please give my greetings to Lord Gimli and your Queen.


  Tathar

Of all the stupid, flighty, irresponsible things that elf had done, this was one of the worst! Gimli's stomach tightened into a knot at the thought of his friend, alone in the woods after having watched all his kin ride away. That foolish creature!

Yes, he would allow Aragorn to hold the elf while Gimli knocked some sense into that flighty head of his!

He glanced at the last letter, surprise filling him when he discovered it was written in the hand of Din, his lifelong friend. Din had also befriended Legolas, as had most of the dwarves of the Glittering Caves.

But Din was on a trip to the Lonely Mountain with Elfwine of Rohan. They were due to return and might have arrived at Edoras in his absence, but Gimli had not expected to hear from his Second until mid May. Of course, Din would not be happy to discover that Gimli had left Blákari in charge. Unless…

The air left Gimli's lungs forcefully, as he realized Din must have taken Elfwine on a visit to the elves. Only the elves would not have been there, except one.

He quickly began to read the terse, factual report sent by his good friend.


  29 Gwirith Year 29 F.A.

Edoras


  King Elessar and Lord Gimli,


  Elfwine and myself, upon concluding our business in the Lonely Mountain, decided to make a visit to the elves of Eryn Lasgalen. We stopped in Laketown and heard rumors that the elves had all sailed. We did not think too much of them, as we knew Gimli would have informed me if such a thing had happened. However, upon reaching the woods, we rode for hours without being stopped by a guard! In fact, we rode all the way to the Thranduil's halls without seeing so much as one elf!


  It was there that we found Legolas. I have never seen such despair in a creature's eyes. I was reminded of how you described him all those years ago, Gimli, after that accident that almost took him. It was as if he were only a shell and his soul had already fled. It only lasted a few moments…yet it was there.


  The elf's spirits lifted at seeing us, and we spent the day and night visiting with him. He put on a good show, but I have come to know him well enough in his visits to see that Legolas is not himself. The elf suffers, alone in those woods, with only his horse for company. He refused to travel with us, saying he still needed to say goodbye to the wood. Elvish foolishness if you ask me! I could also see what you had pointed out on many occasions, Gimli. The sea longing is tormenting him badly.


  He did not ask me to keep this information from you, which in itself is telling, no matter I would never have made such a promise. Upon taking our leave of him, we made all haste in returning to Edoras to get this message to you.


  When we arrived, I learned Gimli was already in Minas Tirith, having left Blákari in charge of my caves! We will speak of your choice of command when you return, Gimli. In the meantime, I will handle matters at home, for I know you shall go after the elf. I pray Mahal lends you speed to travel there quickly.


  Din

Din knew him well…knew that Gimli would travel north immediately at receiving the news.

And Eomer had known the urgency as well, for along with Din's letter was a short note from the King of the Mark.


  Greetings my friends. I am sorry to be the sender of such news, but upon hearing it, I dispatched Din's letter with my fastest rider for Minas Tirth. Sad is this day, less bright, now that there are less of the firstborn among us. I pray you bring home that one which is dear to us all, for that loss would bite deeply into all our hearts.


  If I may be of any assistance, just send word.


  Eomer King

Gimli felt the letters fall from his hand and land lightly in his lap. A hand dropped onto his shoulder and he looked up into eyes that reflected his own concern, anger and fear.

"I must go to him, Aragorn. We both most, for I do not know that I can reach him on my own—or find him in those woods! We must leave at once."

For a brief moment, Aragorn's eyes shone with something Gimli had not seen in a long time. Then his eyes fell.

"I do not know that I can leave right now, Gimli. I greatly wish to do so as Legolas needs us, but I cannot just leave my kingdom…" He trailed off, obviously torn between the duty of country and the loyalty of friendship.

Gimli eyed the man for a moment, then nodded. "I understand. I must go, however. I will not leave him to suffer alone a moment longer than necessary. I leave at sun up, if you decide to join me."

— ~ —

Aragorn leaned against the window ledge on the uppermost level of the Tower of Ecthelion as he watched the sinking sun tinge the city below in various shades of gold. Anger and frustration filled him, making him feel every one of his years. At one time, this decision would not take more than a fraction of a second. Loyalty to friendship was dear to him. But he was no longer the Ranger wandering the wilds, free to make his own choices. Duty was as deeply ingrained in him as loyalty.

Aragorn sighed, lowering his head into his hands…his elbows resting on the ledge. His heart told him one thing, his head another. He needed another voice.

The rustle of silk skirts behind him did not change his position, though one corner of his mouth lifted slightly as the owner of that voice appeared as though bidden. He should not be surprised anymore, when she found him, and yet, he always felt his heart leap.

"Once again, I find you hiding in the tower from your councilors. Why do you linger here, my love? What troubles you?" The soft, yet ancient voice brushed over him, soothing his weary heart.

Without moving, he answered her, his voice full of bitterness, "Duty. Duty causes me to seek solace in the sunset. It robs me of many things that mean the most to me." Aragorn lifted his head and straightened, watching as the sun sank out of sight.

"Duty. Yes, as king, your duties require more of you than any other man. But your duty lies not only to your people, Estel. You also have a duty to yourself and those whom you love."

Arwen stepped forward and rested her forehead against his back, her arms encircling his waist. "If you ignore those duties, your duties as king will suffer as well. So which is truly more important? Sitting in court another week, listening to nobles bicker…or going to Legolas and easing both your hearts?"

He blinked. How did she always know?

"The sea pulls at him. He needs you, Estel."

He stood a moment longer in her arms before turning and gathering Arwen to him. Their foreheads came together and their eyes met and held. Then he smiled.

"Ever do you remind me why I made you my queen. Your wisdom far outweighs my own." He kissed her softly. "I would be lost without you, Undómiel."

She smiled and lifted a hand to his cheek. "I know you would, that is why I am here."

Her eyes shone and she turned him towards the stair, swatting him lightly on the backside. "Now go, get into those smelly ranger things and be gone from here. I will send for Faramir to help Eldarion deal with our dear, annoying nobles while you are away. It will be good for the boy."

Aragorn took one last look over his shoulder, feeling lighter than he had in months, before bounding down the stairs.

Behind him, Arwen shook her head and smiled to herself. He would be fit to live with again when he returned. Turning, she leaned against the ledge, watching the stars come out, one by one as the velvet darkness of night settled over the city she called home.

The next morning, before the sun had even breached the horizon, two riders left the city gates headed north.


  FOOTNOTES

In my UFS verse, Eldarion is the only son and oldest heir of Aragorn and Arwen. He is just over twenty years old.


 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List