Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Never Alone  by Nieriel Raina


 Small Village Northwest of the Elven King's halls
 
8 Lothron Year 29, Fourth Age
 

Night had long fallen.

Most of the respectable people of the town were behind closed doors, resting in preparation for another hard day's work on the morrow. Those not so respectable could mostly be found in one of the two taverns. The Twisted Twig was the larger of the two, and had a large covered porch across the front, complete with a long rough hewn bench. The tavern also served as the town's only inn, and during respectable hours, served decent meals.

Brigus downed his drink and let his gaze drift from man to man seated at the table with him. His eyes lingered briefly on the hopeful brown eyes of his brother, then caught the speculative stare of Prem, Torel's closest friend. Those hazel eyes bore into him, and he smirked back, not in the least intimidated by the younger man. Both Torel and Prem were barely more than boys, but Prem had an air of maturity to him that Torel lacked, which was why Brigus had included him. That and the boy could keep his mouth shut.

The other men at the table were markedly older, more world-wise. Sirk and Nirk were identical twins, though the scar on Nirk's face set him apart. Both were hard and had spent time in the town's gaol for various crimes. It was rumored they had dwarven blood in them, but Brigus doubted it. For certain, they had skills that could come in handy on their quest and were as eager as he to find treasure. They would be useful opening any locks or in removing gems and gold from the walls.

Their last man slipped into the room and crossed it to sit across from Brigus. The others scooted away from him, and Brigus himself did not directly meet Jasper's eyes. This man was dangerous, cunning, and Brigus would rather not have him as part of the group, but Nirk had insisted they needed him. Reluctantly, Brigus had included Jasper, and hoped he didn't live to regret it.

With a glance about the crowded room, Jasper nodded towards the door. "Too many ears," He said, his challenging stare boring into Brigus.

Brigus grit his teeth in annoyance. This was his hunt for treasure! But the man was right. They didn't need anyone overhearing their plans. With a slight nod, he stood, turned and walked out of the tavern. The other men followed.

Outside, Brigus leaned back against the railing of the porch and watched his companions as they exited the building. The night was cool, quiet. They were alone.

"Well?" Sirk asked, standing to one side of him. Brigus looked at the boys, who had sat on the bench. Jasper stood to one side, his shoulder leaning against the front wall, but his eyes never still, always watching. Nirk took the opposite side in a similar pose.

"It seems the trader is not the only one to have seen the elves leaving. Rumors abound as far as Laketown."

Torel smiled, his eyes twinkling with youthful mirth. He wanted treasure so he could rebuild the farm and marry his girl. But the boy didn't understand just what all might be involved in getting it. "And if the elves have left, surely they left treasure behind! There's no way they could have carried all they had in a few wagons."

"But what if they didn't all leave?" Prem asked, his hazel eyes boring once again into Brigus. The uncertainty there was clear. "Surely you don't want us to go in there so soon? I don't want to fight any elves! And I'm no thief."

Prem glanced at the Sirk, then Nirk. Jasper stared with cold eyes at Prem, then looked to Brigus with a lifted brow, as if to ask why he had included children in this quest.

"What are a few elves?" Brigus asked. "From what I've heard, the Halls of the Elvenking are empty. If any remain, they are those that live in the woods with no desire for treasure. And in Laketown they say those elves moved to the Mountains!"

Prem considered this, then nodded but added, "I'm not stealing though. If it's abandoned, I'll take what I find, but I'm not fighting elves for a few baubles."

"It ain't just baubles we're going in for, boy," Jasper rumbled, his scratchy voice cold and hard. "It's gold and gems we're looking for."

"Right," Brigus added. "I'm not going to keep working my tail off every day in the hot sun when we could be living good on what we may find." Brigus held Prem's gaze, but it was Torel that spoke next.

"Come on, Prem. It will be easy. Brigus has looked into it. If the elves were still there, we wouldn't be going."

Prem sighed and the defiance went out of him. With a slight smile, he said, "Alright."

"So we'll set out in two days time," Brigus said. "Torel, you and Prem secure the food stuffs." He tossed Torel a small change purse with a few coins in it. "The rest of us will get the other things we'll need together. Maybe by week's end we'll have found us some treasure!"

That cheered all the men, and they parted ways. Torel and Prem arguing as to what would make the best food to take for the journey, and Nirk and Sirk discussing what tools they would need for opening locks or prying gems from walls.

Jasper glanced at him. "And what about weapons?"

Brigus nodded. "You and I will bring the weapons."


  To be continued…





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List