Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Purple Path  by Dreamflower

B2MeM Prompt and Path: Path Purple; Prompt “Think in the morning. Act in the noon. Eat in the evening. Sleep in the night.” William Blake(Square 13)
Format: Four Drabble set (400 words)
Genre: Vignette, Character studies
Rating: G
Warnings: n/a
Characters: Frodo, Merry, Pippin, Sam
Pairings: n/a
Creator’s Notes (optional):
Summary: Each part of the day has its own special blessings. (A four drabble set)

Day After Day a Good Day 
1. Tol Eressëa

Frodo thought best in the mornings. He would rise and take a walk on the beach as the Sun rose, letting his mind wander. Sometimes he wrote in his head, composing things he wished to write. Sometimes he would have imaginary conversations with his old friends of the Shire, telling Merry or Pippin or Freddy some of the things he'd learned since he had come here. But not with Sam, for he was saving those up for when Sam arrived. And he would finish his morning walk by thanking Eru for all his blessings and the beauty around him.

2. Brandy Hall

The Master of Buckland found his best time for getting work done was between elevenses and luncheon at one. Some days it was his time to inspect the fields and orchards, other days he would schedule meetings with the heads of various villages in Buckland or he would go into Bucklebury for any Hall business there. Rarely (or at least more rarely than the Thain) he would hear disputes. He would also write his letters to his friends Outside, to Éomer or Éowyn or Aragorn. But Highday was his favourite: for it was then he scheduled weddings and Naming Days.

3. The Great Smials

Thain Peregrine Took enjoyed his meals, but he thought supper was the best meal of the day. Unless there was a special occasion, he only had supper in the Great Hall on Highday. The rest of the week supper was a private meal with his family in their own quarters. There he and Diamond gathered their children around a table filled with everyone's favorite foods and listen to the things that had happened during the day. Pippin enjoyed being able to dress comfortably and indulge in more casual manners and fill up the corners for as long as he liked.

4. Bag End

Samwise Gamgee always went to bed with a feeling of satisfaction about his day, his family and his life. Here he was, next to the most beautiful wife in the Shire, and under his roof nine bonnie and healthy lasses and lads, another little one nestling beneath Rosie's heart. He had useful work, like Mayoring, and enjoyable work, like gardening, to occupy his day, and good friends throughout the Shire and in the wide world beyond. If anything was wanting, it was Mr. Frodo. But Sam could see the West through his window. He slept soundly, dreaming of their reunion.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List