Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Darkness is more than the absence of light  by Laikwalâssê

Chapter 10:  desperate deed

Aimlessly Elrohir walked down the street unheeding of the many gazes following him. He did not care any longer. He was about to lose his brother, and no one seemed to be able to do anything about it. In any case, he would not let this happen.

For the hundredth time he tried to reach his twin, yet again stony silence answered him.

`Damn Elladan, open up.` he muttered again uncaring about who would hear him.

Suddenly he found himself in a small side road to the jail where Elladan was held. Had intuition or his heart brought him here? 

He nearly stumbled when he suddenly received his brother´s thoughts as clearly as if Elladan were standing right beside him. He quickly retreated into a small nook between two wooden houses.

`Elladan, for Valars’ sake. I´m so glad to hear you. How are you?´

`El?`

Elrohir cringed at his brother´s voice echoing timidly through their bond. He sank down on his heels and propped his head in his hands.

`I´m here brother.`

`Elrohir, I´m afraid!`

The younger twin swallowed heavily. Elladan never admitted such feelings. 

Even if he wanted to call out to his brother to hold on and that all would be well, he could not. Elladan would instantly see through his lie. Nonetheless, he had to be strong.

`Hold on brother. We will think of something.` 

This sounded hollow even to his own ears and he was not surprised to receive a mental snort.

`They are already constructing the gibbet. I can see it from my jail window.`

Elrohir closed his eyes tighter. No! 

`How is Arwen?`

The sudden change of subject ripped Elrohir out of his despair.

`Ada is treating her, trying to make her cope …….`

He received a mental nod. 

`And Naneth, how is she doing?`

`They are both holding up.` 

Elrohir hoped that at least this lie came through as believable.

`Elladan?`  Elrohir asked again, frightened when no reply came. He feared that his brother had again shut down.

´Elladan I´m close, just a street away. I will come and get you.`

Again, a snort was the reply, but this time a scornful one.

`No you will not do that. They will catch you and that would achieve nothing. Do you hear me, fool?` 

Elrohir´s head jerked up in anger.

`Are you mad? They will hang you. I will not let this happen.`

The following silence again nearly made the younger twin mad. Tears of frustration had sprung to his eyes.

`Little brother, listen to me. They surely expect an attempt to free me, so accept it, no chance…`

….`but…`

`Stop. No buts Elrohir, Ada and Nana will need you so now, be quiet. Don´t make it worse for me. Go.`

Elrohir had sprung up. How dared his brother to speak to him thus?

`Elladan…?`

`Elladan…?` `Elllladaaaaan?`

Again, only silence met him.

After two further attempts, Elrohir trudged out of his hiding place. He marched straight toward the town hall. The jail was right behind the imposing building.

Arriving there he hid again in an alcove, out of sight but with a good view of the back door. He would wait out the dawn and then get his brother. He was an elf after all; silence, stealth and strength above any mortal.

For two hours the son of Elrond watched people filing in and out of the building. He studied the shift routine and the men performing their duty. 

Never more than four guards were assigned to watch the prisoners. Additionally, the door to the jail was not even secured. 

The only problem would be the sturdy jailor he had already seen at the court sitting in the small anteroom. Every time the door opened, Elrohir had seen him sitting there. Did he never sleep or take a break?

Briefly, Elrohir rued not having his bow to hand, as he could have finished the man off at any time the door opened. He shook his head. His long knife would have to do in the face of necessity. 

Taking a deep breath and again checking that no one was trudging down the way, Elrohir started to run across the street when a firm hand gripped his wrist and jerked him back into the shadows.

“Not so hasty, Elrondion!”

Indignantly Elrohir looked at the dark-haired elf.

“Erestor let me go”, he whispered trying to free his wrist. 

The older elf placed a finger over his lips when a young couple walked past their hiding place. When they were out of earshot Erestor released the younger twin.

“And what do you intend to do, child? To free your brother and share his fate?”

“There are only four guards….” Elrohir turned and again began  to walk across the street.

Erestor swore. He jumped forward and grabbed the young elf at his neck. Rudely he pulled him back and pushed him to the ground with his elbow pinning him down.

“Elrohir, stop this. You will achieve nothing save make the situation worse.”

“Worse? “ Elrohir cried. “How could it be worse?”

Struggling, Elrohir suddenly went slack and began crying. Erestor released him and quickly gathered the boy in his arms. He stroked the dark tresses until the young elf ceased weeping.

“Elrohir, please listen to me. Don´t try to free your brother. That will not work.”

Erestor had taken the young elf´s face between his palms.

“Have you never thought of your parents? What a failure or even your death would do to them?”

Not able to lower his head Elrohir closed his eyes.

Knowing what thoughts rumbled in the young elf´s mind, Erestor cleared his throat and waited until Elrohir opened his eyes again.

“Child, your father is thinking as hard as all of us on a solution, but first he has to stabilize your sister. Arwen is of the brink on fading, but now your father is making progress and he could anchor her. Your mother is as devastated as you and very frustrated that she cannot help either, BUT both do not need a new catastrophe on their minds.”

Elrohir nodded after Erestor had released him.

With his sleeve, he wiped away his tears.

Angrily he looked at his mentor.

“You will not tell me to do nothing and let them hang Elladan? I will try to free him or die trying to do it.”

“We!”

Elrohir´s head jerked around at the new, yet familiar voice.

“Huh?” Elrohir gulped at seeing a fully armed Glorfindel. Only now, he registered that Erestor also was dressed for battle.

Glorfindel gazed at the still sitting twin.

“WE will free your brother, Elrondion. Not try. Now stand up and stop ruining my plans. Erestor are you coming?”

Speechless, Elrohir scrambled to his feet and followed the fair-haired elf who was already vanishing into the dark.

A loud snort was Erestor´s only answer. Soon the three elves merged completely with the night.

To be continued……

      





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List