Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

My Drabbles from Tolkien Weekly  by Mirkwoodmaiden


The Bay of Belfalas spread out before her, wide, beautiful and wild. Lothíriel had awoken this morning and the call of the bay was too powerful to resist. She needed to spend time with her waters before she left them to go northwards.  She dressed quickly and for old times sake left by way of the window, her childhood escape. She ran down the sea path, feet barely touching the pebbled way, so excited was she to reach her bay. Now she stood, eyes closed soaking in the sounds and the smells. Waves crash, "Don't go!" they say. "I must."

~*~

Walking along the shoreline Lothíriel picked up shells delighting in the interplay of colours. She swished each about in the receding waves as she felt the wet sand squish between her toes. The seaside breezes blew her blond tresses across her face cooling it.  The sea was a part of her soul. How she would miss it.  But her life was leading her away from her seaside home.  Blue eyes and an earnest heart was showing her another life to be lead, calling to her to a sea of another sort. Wide seas of golden plains painted with his words.

~*~

She looks up the cliff and sees her father looking out to the seas and then down to her.  She can feel his thoughts.  He is troubled to be losing his beloved daughter.  She scrambles up the sea stairs.  Nature's wonder cut into rock connecting shore and cliff and at this moment providing the path that allows father and daughter time together amid the sea breezes and multitudes of the seabirds puncturing the lulling drone of the crashing waves with their sharp "caws!" She sees her father's emotion in his eyes, "I will miss you, too. Papa! But he calls!"

~*~

They both know who he is.  Éomer, king of the Mark and friend to King Elessar.  She is Princess of Dol Amroth. Their titles match. Most superficial of all considerations.  Her father had wishes for more than title in a match for his beloved daughter.  He could not have parted with her if it were only a title to be had.  But he looked in his daughter's eyes and then into the eyes of the young man who was to take her from him and from the sea and he saw that he would be her safe harbor in life.

~*~

There they stood. Father's arms wrapped around daughter with the sea winds blowing around them, flapping both cloak and dress most ardently. It was almost time to depart and start making their wending way to her new life.  Lothíriel was quiet, soaking in the sights and sounds that had surrounded her all of her life.  Shells in her pocket, habit of a lifetime.  Cool breeze through her hair.  She gazed out to sea, watching the waves swell and crash. She looked out to the open water allowing it to fill her soul. This she would take with her. To him.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List