Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In Clear Focus  by Coriandra

Frodo was holding Sam's hand as they both stumbled along a narrow, winding path that seemed to be crumbling under their feet. Their strength was failing fast in the intense heat and the only sources of light were rivers of burning rock flowing all around them. There was no escape; he and Sam were at the very end of things, but for some reason, he didn't feel afraid.

"Mr. Frodo?" Sam's voice called to him. Somehow, he didn't sound afraid either.

"Mr. Frodo?" Sam called again, but his voice seemed to be coming from another place.

Then Frodo noticed that he seemed to laying a bed. The cool, bitter smell of herbs and the strong scent of tea tree oil hung in the air, and he could hear some kind of liquid being poured into containers. Startled, he opened his eyes and saw Sam's hazy form sitting next to him.

"You were having a dream, sir," Sam explained, "and it didn't look like a very good one either, from the way you were twitching and all."

"Well, Sam, it wasn't, but I feel somehow.." Frodo let his voice trail off. He didn't know how to explain, but he felt the dream and his feelings while having it meant something significant. It was almost as if this unfortunate incident with his eyes was meant to prepare him for something bigger during the quest.

"Sam," he said reaching for his friend's hand and holding it against his heart, "I'm glad you're here with me." He meant it sincerely.

"Thank you, sir. I'm glad I'm here with you too," Sam told him, feeling touched, but a little confused. "Mr. Merry and Mr. Strider are here with you, too," he added. "And Lady Arwen is going to give you some medicine for your eyes."

"It may sting, Frodo," she cautioned, "and you may not see any change after the first, or possibly second treatment, but this solution is very effective when given time to work."

Merry and Strider came into view. If Frodo could see clearly, he would have noticed they were smiling at him and looking relieved to see him more at ease. Then Arwen came over to his bed carrying some flannel towels.

"The first thing I'm going to do, Frodo," she explained, "is put a warm towel over your eyes to dissolve the exudate so the healing herbs can work more effectively. Are you ready?"

Frodo nodded, thinking anything had to better than the way he was feeling now. Arwen was just about to begin the procedure when Pippin burst into the room and darted over to his bed.

"Oh my goodness!" he shrieked. "Frodo's eyes are as red as tomatoes!"

"Pippin!" said Merry sharply. If looks could kill, his cousin would have been on the floor.

"Well they are!" Pippin insisted. "And look at his lashes, they have yellow slimy stuff hanging from them!"

"Pippin! That's enough of that! NO MORE!" Merry snapped.

Pippin would have said more, but Aragorn grabbed him from behind and firmly escorted him out. Once out in the hall, Pippin realized his mistake; he had been very insensitive.

"I'm sorry, Frodo," he called.

"I forgive you, Pippin," Frodo called back. It wasn't easy, but he meant it. After all, Pippin was still young often impulsive. Besides, forgiving this irritating companion of his might also be good preparation for the quest, assuming Frodo ever became well enough to go on the quest.

*****************

About two hours had passed since Frodo's first treatment. Merry and Sam had been with him the whole time, reading to him from his favourite books, and trying to encourage him. Pippin brought Frodo his favourite foods from the kitchen, trying to make up for his earlier behaviour. There was a knock on the door, and after being admitted, Arwen entered with her supplies and washed her hands with tea tree soap.

"Hello, Frodo," she said, "how are feeling?"

"Better, Lady Arwen, thank you," Frodo replied. "My eyes have been cloudy most of this time, but sometimes they clear up for a minute or two."

"Definitely an improvement," she assured him, checking his eyes briefly. "Are you ready for another treatment?"

"Yes, ma'am," Frodo replied, bracing himself. He knew this wasn't going to be pleasant, but it was small price to pay for being able to see in clear focus.

Arwen removed a soft flannel towel from a basin of warm water and wrung out the excess water. Pippin helped her by carefully arranging more towels under Frodo's head.

"Is it too hot?" she asked, placing the corner on Frodo's temple. He shook his head, so she gently laid the rest of if over his eyes. Merry and Sam held his hands and comforted him as Arwen carefully wiped his eyes from the inside corners out and then administered the herbal medication. Frodo bit his lip to keep from crying out and squeezed his friends' hands tightly, but he forced himself to keep still, with his eyes open. Arwen smiled sympathetically when she finished.

"It will get better," she assured him. "When your eyes have shown more improvement, we can dilute the medicine so it won't sting as much. And Frodo, the other members of the Fellowship would like to see you soon, if they may."

"They want to see me?" Frodo asked. He had been hoping to avoid that, not knowing how they would react.

"Most definitely, not an hour goes by when they don't ask me, or ask Aragorn how you are. The concern is obvious on their faces."

Frodo was surprised. "I was sure they were annoyed with me for holding up the quest," he admitted.

"Frodo, remember what I told you," Arwen admonished him gently. "This was in no way your fault. Aragorn could never be annoyed, or think any less of you because of it, nor could anyone else. In fact, their respect for you has increased. You were wounded by a Nazgul blade, volunteered to carry the Ring when no one else had the courage, suddenly lost most of your eyesight, and yet you remain determined to go through with the quest. Everyone considers you remarkably brave."

The other hobbits smiled and gave Frodo a big group hug. They were touched by what they heard, but not surprised. Frodo truly was an amazing hobbit. Frodo himself was overwhelmed. What could he say to this? Choking with emotion, he tried to think of words to express what he was feeling. Finally he said, "Lady Arwen, please tell them, thank you very much. I feel honoured and touched more than I can describe. I would love to see them, but after eyes are healed more, because I could never forgive myself if I infected them too.

"As you wish," said Arwen with a smile. As she left, Frodo found himself actually looking forward to his next treatment.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List