Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In Clear Focus  by Coriandra

Frodo woke late the next morning to find a tray by his bed. Sam had opened the blue velvet curtains and their shears and was admiring the intricate silver embroidery around the edges. Sunlight poured in the room, and Frodo cringed biting his lip to keep from crying out. The gentle splashing sound of the fountain outside his window gave no comfort. Nothing would until the room was dimmed.

"Sam, this is too bright," he said, pulling the sheet over his eyes. "Would you shut one of the curtains? And close the shears completely."

"Oh, I'm sorry, Mr. Frodo," Sam exclaimed as he scrambled to do as Frodo asked. "Does it hurt your eyes? I didn't think of that."

"I don't think hurt is the right word, Sam, but it's terribly uncomfortable. Plus I'm still seeing rings around any kind of light which is very annoying." Noticing Sam's reaction, he softened his voice and smiled reassuringly. "Still, I appreciate your trying help. And what do we have here?" he gestured towards the tray with the covered plates.

"You missed breakfast, Mr. Frodo," Sam explained, "first and second breakfast. So I brought this for you."

"Thank you, Sam," Frodo said as he uncovered the plates. There was herbal tea, mushroom omelets, a stack of pancakes with blueberry syrup fried potatoes and a bowl of mixed fruit. "All my favourites, too. What a pleasant surprise!"

Sam blushed and shyly lowered his eyes. Frodo was about to offer him part of the breakfast when some elves entered bringing breakfast for Sam. Before either of them could say a word, the elves had set up a hobbit-sized table for them, with an ivory coloured tablecloth and a sunflower centerpiece with some coloured leaves.

"I'm feeling a bit concerned about you, Mr. Frodo," Sam told him, after they had overcome their surprise and enjoyed breakfast together. "You haven't left this room since yesterday morning and you've only talked to your cousins and Mr. Strider and Lady Arwen because they came in here. Beggin' your pardon, sir, but I don't think it's healthy for you."

"I appreciate your concern, Sam but really, it's best this way," Frodo explained. "My eyes feel like they're full of sand, except when I blink, then everything looks blurred and I honestly don't know which is worse. So I wouldn't be very good company for anyone."

"I'm sure they'd all understand, sir," Sam told him awkwardly. He wasn't sure that was the right response, but he felt he had to say something. Frodo was clearly unhappy and Sam could sense that the reason was more serious than just his physical condition. It might even have been more than the task of being the Ring-bearer. This troubled Sam greatly, but he didn't know what to do about it.

The door opened suddenly. Frodo, still in his nightshirt, looked down at the Ring for a second. Then he looked up to see who was in his room. To his relief, it was only Pippin and Merry. Sam glared at them for barging in as they did. He would have said something but Frodo, now over his shock and embarrassment gave Sam a look to indicate that he didn't want that.

"Good morning, Frodo," said Merry, sounding characteristically upbeat. "We missed you at breakfast, but you look like you had a good meal here."

"Sam brought it for me, all my favourite foods," Frodo said, giving Sam a friendly touch on the shoulder. "I was going to share it with him, but the elves brought him his own breakfast and set up this table for us, so we ate together."

"Speaking of elves," Pippin said offhandedly, "Lady Arwen is going to be here any minute with your medicine so you might want to.... "

Frodo jumped up, threw his clothes on and brushed his hair, almost before Pippin could finish the sentence.

"Thanks for reminding me, Pip," he said breathlessly. "I don't know how I could have forgotten."

"Not a problem," Pippin said cheerfully. Then he added, "You look good, cousin. Even though your eyes are still as red as tomatoes."

They both laughed about that. It sounded funnier than it had the first time.

Arwen arrived a minute later. As the standard greetings were exchanged, Sam cleared the table for her supplies and Merry and Pippin straighten the bed so Frodo could lay down. They knew the routine by now and gathered around supportively, being careful not to get in Arwen's way.

Arwen had just placed the warm, moist towel over Frodo's eyes when there was a knock at the door.

"Come in," Pippin called without thinking.

"NO!" Frodo cried trying to jump off the bed. He was certain he would die of embarrassment if anyone saw him in such a vulnerable position. His friends scrambled to his side as Arwen gently restrained him.

"Frodo, may I come in?" asked a familiar voice.

"Could you wait for just a few minutes, Aragorn?" Arwen asked calmly.

"Of course; take all time you need," replied Aragorn pleasantly.

"Nothing to worry about," Arwen soothed, turning her attention back to Frodo. "Remember, you're among friends. Now just relax. Breathe as I showed you. In through your nose, out through your mouth.."

Frodo complied and lay down again. Most of the anxiety left him, but not all of it. He nodded for Arwen to continue her procedure, which she did when she was sure he was calm enough.

"Come in, Strider," called Frodo reluctantly when Arwen had finished.

Aragorn entered and the standard greetings were exchanged again while Arwen cleaned up and washed her hands.

"How are you feeling, Frodo?" Strider asked, giving the hobbit a smile as he sat next to him on the bed.

"Better, Strider, thank you," Frodo replied, as he returned smile and hoped he didn't seem as uncomfortable as he still felt. "My eyes are still bothering me, but I'm seeing clearly, except when I blink and they don't stick together anymore."

"And you don't have yellow slimy stuff hanging from your lashes anymore," Pippin said with a laugh. This time the others laughed too, including Frodo.

"They should feel all right in another day or two, " Aragorn predicted as he examined them, " although, there may be some redness for a while after that. And how's your shoulder?"

"It's better than it was. It still hurts, but really I haven't given it much thought lately with my eye infection."

"I can understand that," Aragorn commented, taking Frodo's pulse, "but of course, your shoulder is going to longer to heal than your eyes."

"I think Frodo should rest now," Arwen told the other hobbits. They hesitated but she assured them, "You can see him again at lunch time."

That was good enough for Pippin and Merry. They allowed her to show them out with no further questions. Sam reluctantly left too, after Frodo gave him a nod indicating that he should.

"Coming, Strider?" Pippin called over his shoulder.

"Strider's one of his healers," Merry reminded his cousin as they strolled into the hall.

"Oh, of course!" Pippin replied with an embarrassed laugh.

The sound of their voices grew fainter as the door closed gently behind them.

"So, how are you really feeling?" Aragorn wanted to know, as he still held Frodo's wrist in his hand.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List