Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In Clear Focus  by Coriandra

"How am I really feeling? Well." Frodo tried to force himself to keep still and look at Aragorn, but he could feel himself starting to sweat. His free hand wandered involuntarily up to his collar and undid the top buttons. "Do you find it hot in here or is it just me?"

He heard nothing at that moment but saw a shimmer of burgundy velvet from the corner of his eye, and felt a soft, gentle hand on his shoulder. Arwen! It was with great difficulty that Frodo kept himself from breathing a sign of relief. He knew it made no sense, but he was feeling terribly vulnerable at that time and Arwen's presence comforted him in a way that nothing else could.

"Your vital signs seem to be fluctuating," commented Aragorn with a smile. Frodo sighed with resignation and let his eyes drop. What could he say to that?

"You asked me how I was really feeling," he said at last. "I assume you were referring to my mental condition. And you're probably wondering why I spend so much time in this room?"

"Yes, Frodo, we all are," Aragon told him gravely, releasing his hand at last. "You've been so reclusive this last day and a half, I wonder if you would even be eating if your friends didn't bring your meals to you."

"Well, as I was telling Sam, my eyes feel like they're full of sand," Frodo began, sounding like he was reciting something he memorized, "That, of course is terribly irritating and I'm afraid if that someone accidentally annoys me I might." Frodo's voice trailed off. His attempt to remain dignified fooled no one and he knew it.

"I'm afraid," he finally admitted flatly. "That's what it is. I'm just plain afraid." He had already known in his heart what his problem was, but he didn't feel able or willing to admit it, even to himself.

Aragorn raised an eyebrow slightly. Of course Frodo was afraid, but what was he afraid of?

"Not of you, Strider," Frodo added quickly. "You've seen me worse off than this. Indeed, I wouldn't have survived Weathertop if it weren't for you. And I'm not afraid of anyone else here, really. It's just.well. I don't know."

"Everyone has great faith in you, Frodo," Arwen reminded him, still rubbing his shoulder soothingly.

"Yes, I know they do. In fact, when I said I would carry the Ring, they all looked at me like. well, they seem to think that I'm so courageous, that I'm not afraid of anything, but now this relatively insignificant thing comes up and I'm too frightened even to leave my room."

"Is it their respect that frightens you, Frodo?" asked Arwen. "Are you afraid of failing short of their expectations?"

"Yes! That's it exactly!" Frodo cried, relieved that someone finally understood. "What if I fail them? What if I fail all of Middle Earth?"

"There are no guarantees for any of us, Frodo," Aragorn reminded him gently. "We all have our tasks appointed to us and all any of us can do is give our best."

"Do people know how frightened I am, Strider?" asked Frodo apprehensively, but no longer feeling alone.

"Of course they do, Frodo," he replied with feeling. "There isn't a person in Rivendell who isn't afraid. These are dark, frightening times for all of us. That's why it's so important that we all stand together. Is that not right, Arwen?"

"Yes, of course it is!" exclaimed Arwen, looking up suddenly. She had kept silent through most of the conversation, focusing her attention on helping Frodo feel at ease, but was startled to notice that her comforting hand had moved ever so slightly, towards the chain with the Ring.

"So, I guess I should start preparing for the quest?" Frodo asked. "I should learn how defend myself, among other things?"

"I wouldn't try anything serious just yet," Aragorn cautioned. "It wouldn't be safe with your eyes not quite healed, but you could certainly study the maps and research the areas we're going to be traveling through. At the very least, come get to know everyone, especially the rest of the Fellowship."

Frodo looked for a minute as if he intended to do so, but quickly became hesitant again. Although he no longer felt the need to be alone, he still needed some quiet time.

"Well." he said, "I.if you don't mind, I think I'll go to library start studying the areas as you suggested."

"All right Frodo, but you're not to hide in there," Aragorn told him firmly.

"I promise not to." Frodo smiled confidently and rose from his bed for the first time. "I feel quite a bit better now. Thank you both very much and I'll see you this evening, if not sooner."

As they walked with Frodo to the door, Arwen dropped back a few steps unnoticed, and gave her head a quick shake. She had to cut off some disturbing, unwanted thoughts about the Ring that had somehow crept into her mind.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List