Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In Clear Focus  by Coriandra

Aragorn left the garden with Frodo and Sam almost before he had finished speaking. Frodo, in his anxiety, was holding Sam's hand uncomfortably tight. Merry stood indecisively after realizing that he was being left behind but decided quickly to attend to Pippin, whose well-being he considered his primary responsibility. Pippin naturally objected to this, wanting to go with Frodo but Merry quickly pointed out that their cousin was in good hands and Pippin would be no help to him if he became sick himself. Besides, Merry promised, they would soon find out together what was happening to Frodo. There was sense in this, Pippin realized as he reluctantly went with Merry back to their room.

Sunlight streamed gently through vine-covered arches as Frodo and Sam followed Aragorn inside, but none of them noticed that. Large urns made from sky-blue coloured marble lined the halls. The flowers and ferns planted in them ordinarily would have interested Sam greatly. The ever present sounds of the fountains and the birds singing and the lingering scent of the pine oil that burned in lamps at night would also have been a source of pleasure to them, Frodo in particular. They would have reminded him of the long walks he used to take with Bilbo through the forests and, earlier in his life of the picnics he used to have with his parents. At this time, however, they were all preoccupied. Frodo was trying to understand what had happened to him. Aragorn was deeply concerned about Frodo, mentally and physically. Sam, while no less concerned was hoping Frodo would let go of his hand soon, or at least loosen his hold on it.

"Do you know what's wrong with him, Mr. Strider?" Sam asked, trying to not think about his hand.

"I have an idea, Sam but I'm going to let Lord Elrond talk to him..to both of you about it," Aragorn replied. Both hobbits gasped, and stared at Aragorn in disbelief.

"You're not going to tell us anything, Strider?" Frodo asked pleadingly.

Seeing that his statement had shocked and upset them, Aragorn stopped walking and put a hand on each of their shoulders. "I know it's difficult," he said gently, "but trust me it's best this way. Lord Elrond has been a healer for centuries; he knows more than I ever will."

"But can't you at least give us an idea what the problem is?" Sam protested.

"Yes, Strider, there's nothing worse than not knowing," Frodo insisted.

"It isn't overly serious," Aragorn relented slightly. The Hobbits looked at him questioningly. "If I thought you were in any danger, Frodo, I would have told you in the garden."

"Really?" Frodo gasped. His eyes widen slightly, but with relief.

"Yes, Frodo you know I wouldn't keep something like that from you. Now come, his study is just down this hall."

At the end of the hall, however, they found the door of Elrond's study was closed and Arwen's voice could be heard inside. It quickly became apparent that she and Elrond were having, if not an argument, then a serious discussion so Aragorn and the hobbits stood respectfully back to avoid overhearing anything and waited silently for the door to open, each with their own thoughts. Aragorn was observing Frodo, closely but discreetly watching for any change in his physical condition. Frodo, in an attempt to keep his mind off his own problems, was reflecting on the Elves on the situation they were facing. Their time was over, whatever happened and they knew it. If the Ring fell into Sauron's hands, their people would be destroyed along with the rest of Middle Earth. Unlike the other races, Elves had the option of crossing the sea to escape but even so, Frodo suspected many of them would be slain before they got away. The Elves that survived would live forever with these horr ible memories constantly before them.

What kind of life would that be? Frodo wondered. I expect even they escaped, many would die of broken hearts and they might be the fortunate ones.

On the other hand, if the Ring was destroyed, their kingdom and all they had created and established over the centuries would fade. They would have to leave Middle Earth, as there would nothing left for them there.

And the Hobbits, what would happen to them? Of all the free races, they would probably suffer the most under Sauron's rule. Because Frodo, the Ring-bearer was a hobbit, his people would be the first to face the Dark Lord's wrath if the quest failed, and it would be cruel indeed. Frodo shuddered when he thought about this. So much depended on him and his strength.

The Hobbits back in the Shire, of course, knew nothing of this. They had no worries about the future or fear of the present shadow. They were going on with their daily activities as happy and carefree as they had always been.

.Just the way Sam, Merry and Pippin were a less than a year ago, Frodo thought. And they way they should still be. Bringing them into this was wrong.

Then he quickly got another thought: he hadn't brought them into this. They choose to come. Was it an informed choice on their part? Did they fully understand what they were getting into? Frodo didn't have the answers this, but he had enough sense to realize he didn't have the ability to overrule his friends' freewill. But then again, what if he did have the ability? Would it have been right for him to use it? That would have kept his friends out of danger, but it would also have denied them their freedom. Wasn't that what this was all about, protecting peoples' freedom?

Elrond's door opened at that minute and Pippin and Merry dashed inside, seemingly from out of nowhere. Merry was without his jacket, he had removed it the garden and put it around Pippin's shoulders to keep him warm until he changed. Pippin was wearing dry clothes, but no jacket or vest. Both Hobbits were slightly dirty, having taken a short cut there through a seldom-used supply tunnel. "What happened here and where's Frodo?" Pippin demanded breathlessly.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List