Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In Clear Focus  by Coriandra

Elrond and Arwen looked first at each other, then at the two young Hobbits, trying to make some sense of this unexpected intrusion. Aragorn dragged Pippin and Merry into the hall and scolded them for their impertinence as Frodo blushed scarlet and apologized frantically his cousins’ behaviour. Sam gratefully massaged his now free hand to restore the circulation. Merry and Pippin just stared down at the floor, hoping it would open and swallow them up. Fortunately, both Elves were forgiving, even amused when they got over their shock.

When things finally settled down, Aragorn explained the reason they were there, keeping a watchful eye on Pippin and Merry the whole time. He would have made them leave, but they begged to be allowed to stay, insisting their only concern was for Frodo. Aragorn considered this. It was against his better judgment but he guessed he couldn’t fault them for their concern, only the way they had acted on it. Finally, he let Frodo and Elrond decide.

“Frodo, do you want them here?” he asked. Frodo didn’t really, but the way they were looking at him touched him too deeply to say no. Elrond was also willing to allow it, as long as Pippin and Merry didn’t interfere with anything.

Frodo looked around the room briefly, hoping to distract himself temporarily from what was happening. It was quite impressive, similar to the library with its dark red furniture and row upon row of books and scrolls, all appropriately filed, though on a much smaller scale. The same type of unusually fragrant roses grew on the balcony and the same lemon and rosemary oil burned in the lights. Pretty much everything about Rivendell was impressive, Frodo realized. He wished he could take some time to appreciate it, but he had tried that earlier and seemed to have caused his problem now.

“Sit here up if you would, Master Baggins,” Elrond directed, walking over to a high table in the corner. Aragorn closed the silver curtains to make the examination as accurate as possible. Sam stood next to Frodo and bravely offered him his other hand, knowing Frodo was quite understandably afraid.

“One word out of either of you, and you’re both out!” Aragorn warned Pippin and Merry. They both nodded frantically in agreement. Arwen, more sympathetic, knelt down behind the young Hobbits and put her arms around their shoulders as she gently explained to them what was about to take place. Frodo smiled and waved to her discreetly from across the room. As Arwen smiled back, she tried not to notice that he seemed to move his hand over to where the Ring must have been. That was just a coincidence of course, she thought.

Elrond had Frodo follow his moving finger with his eyes. Then he lit a special lamp that he used for this purpose and asked Frodo to look straight ahead and keep his eyes open wide. This was easily done, because Frodo’s eyes were already wide with anxiety. Aragorn moved closer and put his hand on Frodo’s shoulder, speaking a few words of reassurance. Sam held Frodo’s hand with both of his and said nothing as Frodo’s grip again began to tighten.

“This is probably going to be uncomfortable,” Elrond told him, “perhaps even painful unfortunately, but it will over less than fifteen seconds.” He gave Frodo what he hoped was a reassuring smile, and then continued his examination. Frodo counted to fifteen silently and again used Arwen’s breathing technique to keep from crying out as the bright light flashed in his eyes. To his surprise and relief, however it was over as quickly it began. The other Hobbits were equally relieved, seeing Frodo go through that had been stressful for them as well.

“You did very well,” Elrond told him putting the light away. “Are you all right?” Frodo nodded, letting his head fall back against Aragorn’s shoulder and closing his eyes.

“Tell me exactly what happened, Frodo,” Elrond requested, after a brief consultation with Aragorn.

“Did Aragorn not tell you already?” Frodo snapped uncharacteristically as he raised his head again. This took Aragorn aback; the other Hobbits exchanged disbelieving glances. Even Elrond raised his eyebrows slightly but recovered from his surprise before anyone noticed except Frodo and Aragorn.

“Yes he did,” Elrond explained gently, unfazed by Frodo’s show of irritation. “I need to hear it from you too, however. You were, after all the one experiencing the symptoms.

“I understand,” Frodo replied, feeling slightly bad now that he sensed the Elf lord’s compassion for him. “Please forgive me, Lord Elrond. I meant no disrespect.”

“I know.” Elrond smiled at Frodo. “These are hard times for everyone to say the least; for you more than any of us, Frodo.”

“I doubt anything can be done about that,” Frodo stated in a resigned voice. “This is my appointed task; no one can do for me. Now regarding your question…” Frodo described the pain he had felt and the darkness and flashes as in as much detail as he could. Elrond looked as if he was remembering something unpleasant, but he said nothing until Frodo had finished talking. “And then I was sure I heard these words: weakness, failure, death,” Frodo concluded looking at Elrond for his interpretation of these things.

“What you described sounds very much like a vision of Mount Doom,” Elrond told him gravely. “In the Chamber of Fire where the Ring must be taken, the burning rocks are the only source of light amid the total darkness.”

“I seem to remember having a dream about that,” Frodo said, his voice sounding distant. “And the pain I felt in the library, I thought it was just muscle spasm, but now that I think about it, it was too serious for that.”

“Do you understand what was happening?” Aragorn asked quietly.

Frodo nodded, it was becoming clear now. “The Ring was trying to tempt me to put It on and be set free from this torment, or panic and throw it to the ground where someone would be tempted by it. And the really frightening thing is, I almost did. I almost gave in to it. Resisting its power took almost all of the strength I had.” Frodo shuddered when he thought about this.

“But you did resist,” Elrond reminded him. “And when the Nazgul king stabbed you, it must have taken all the strength you had to resist that power too.”

“Well yes, but Aragorn saved me and the other Hobbits distracted me from the pain. I wouldn’t have survived without all of them. Even before that, Nazguls attacked us on the road to Bree. I felt an overwhelming temptation to put the Ring on then too.”

“And what stopped you?” Elrond continued.

“I remembered Gandalf telling me how dangerous the Ring was, and having my friends around reminded that I had things and people to think about other myself.”

“And before any of this, Frodo,” Aragorn wanted to know, “was there any another situation in your life so bad it took all your strength to get through it?” Again Frodo nodded, looking down.

“When I was twelve years old,” Frodo said quietly, “I suddenly lost both my parents in a boating accident. When I first found out, I was so devastated I didn’t even want live any more. Fortunately, I was staying with my other relatives and they helped me see, that my parents would have wanted me to get on with my life and be happy. So I did; it was the best way I knew of honouring their memories.”

“Gandalf was correct; you have some strength in you, my dear Hobbit,” Elrond told him with a warm smile.

“You always did, Frodo,” Merry added; too deeply move to avoid speaking out. Pippin said nothing, but nodded in agreement.

“Thank you very much,” Frodo replied, also feeling deeply moved. “But it wasn’t my strength alone. No matter what happened to me at any time in life, I always had people around me. The right people who knew just what I needed.”

“As you will on the quest,” Elrond reminded him emphatically.

“Yes, Frodo, you’re going to have eight people around you to protect and support you in way that you need it,” Aragorn added as the other Hobbits nodded eagerly.

“I’ve always been a private person,” Frodo pointed out. “After a long day, or a particularly stressful event, I need some time alone to get my energy back.”

“We’ll give you privacy at every opportunity, Frodo,” Aragorn told him, “but if you feel overcome by the Ring, or even your own personal feelings, come to us. Don’t cut yourself off.”

“I understand completely,” Frodo said confidently. “I am not going to cut myself off from anyone and I am not going to carry my feelings alone.” And I’m not going to let you frighten me again, he silently told the Ring, giving it a poke.

****************************

Arwen administered Frodo’s medication that evening, as was the routine. This time however, the red pepper had been left out. Frodo no longer needed it, to everyone’s relief. The treatment was no longer painful, in fact Frodo now found it soothing.

“Thank you, my lady,” Frodo said when she was finished. “I really appreciate your helping me and…well...” Arwen put her supplies down and looked at him attentively. “I know it isn’t right,” he continued, “but I wish you were coming with us on the quest. I’m going to miss you when we leave.”

“I’m going to miss you too,” Arwen replied, smiling and giving his hand a gentle squeeze. “I’m going to miss all of you, but my people need me here. As you yourself said, we all have our tasks appointed to us.” No one would have guessed from her calm exterior what she was thinking and feeling at that point.

“We understand,” Merry said cheerfully. “We all have to do what we have to.”

“Indeed,” Arwen said rising to her feet, trying not to be unduly quick about it. “Now would you all excuse me? There are a number I have to do.”

“Good night,” the Hobbits called after her, “see you tomorrow!” If they noticed that she had left her supplies on the table and had not washed her hands, they said nothing about it. Outside the room, Arwen took deep breaths and shook her head hard, not caring and barely noticing that it hit the wall when she did so. Arwen Undomiel, she thought frantically, get rid of that idea before something happens! When she finally felt herself becoming calmer, she quickly make her way to the Hall of Fire, needing to occupy her mind with something else.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List