Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In Clear Focus  by Coriandra

Frodo looked in his mirror after Arwen had left. There was still some redness in his eyes, as he had been told to expect, but most of it had disappeared after his most recent treatment and his eyes no longer bothered him. His shoulder was also improving. The pain was still there, but it wasn't as bad as it had been even the night before and the strength was beginning to return to his arm.

Now that things were gradually returning to normal, Frodo felt he should start learning some basic survival skills and fighting techniques. These things would, of course be essential on the quest and it would be excellent opportunity to get to know the other members of the Fellowship. Frodo's head dropped as considered this. Arwen and Aragorn had assured him repeatedly that no one doubted his courage or his ability any more than they did their own, but he still doubted himself. If a simple thing like conjunctivitis had shaken him so badly, what would happen on the quest when the danger was very real?

The others are no doubt wondering the same thing, Frodo thought, even if they don't want to admit it. Oh well, what must be, shall be.

The Ring had to be destroyed and no mistake. No one else in Rivendell would carry it. Whether they were too afraid or whether their good sense prevented it, Frodo had no idea. Either way, it was up to him. He wished he were strong enough stop being afraid, but of course that was too much to hope for, unless.. No! That idea was absurd, he realized immediately.

What made me think of that? Frodo wondered. Not the Ring, I'm sure. It was probably my own thoughts, temptation to take the easier course of action.

Frodo shook his head hard to dispel the thoughts and bring his mind back into focus, as he considered what he would do for the rest of the day. He had always been good at concealing his negative emotions and acting through them, so he decided that he would make himself appear confident despite whatever he was feeling inside. That would take work and keep his mind occupied until he was out of Rivendell and the temptation had passed. Hopefully too, it would make a good impression on the others and put their minds at ease about him. After all they most certainly had doubts and fears of their own and he didn't want to add to that.

There was a knock on the door as he considered this. Frodo was surprised, not expecting anyone this early in the morning. Arwen had been up earlier, but Frodo guessed that was part of her routine. He couldn't hear anyone else in the hall. When he opened it, he was surprised to see Sam there alone.

"Good morning, Sam." Frodo smiled, glad to see a familiar Hobbit face. "Please, come in." As Sam entered, Frodo noticed he was carrying a small box. "Where are the others?" Frodo asked, expecting his cousins to come soon.

"Mr. Merry and Mr. Pippin are expecting you in the dining hall," Sam explained nervously. "Strider wants you to eat there from now on inside of here in your room." Frodo was startled when he heard that. He understood that Strider had only his best interests in mind. It was probably true that he had spent too much in his room alone, but even so, this decision was made without consulting him and he wasn't sure he liked it. Of course lot of things had happened that he had no control over so there was no use getting upset, he reasoned.

"Oh well, it won't do to argue with Strider," he commented cheerfully. "He is, after all one of my healers."

"And one of our leaders," Sam added, relieved to see Frodo apparently taking this well. "but still." He smiled mischievously and held up the small box he was holding. "I brought this for you. I wasn't supposed to, but still I couldn't resist."

"Thank you, Sam!" Frodo exclaimed, surprised and delighted. "Blackberry tea, my favourite. Let's both have some, then we'll get breakfast together."

***********

"Mr. Frodo, are you all right?" Sam asked, noticing that Frodo seemed distracted and was walking more slowly than usual.

"Hmm? Oh yes, Sam, I'm all right," Frodo quickly assured him. "I was just looking around admiring everything. It's beautiful here isn't it?"

It certainly was. The walls, only slightly taller than the Hobbits and the columns that supported the ornately carved ceiling were completely covered by thick green ivy. Pale gold rays of early morning sunlight streamed through the mist that lingered over the valley. The invigorating scent of pine from the nearby woods drifted through the air, the birds were beginning to chirp again and there was the ever-present sound of rushing water.

Frodo's mind, however, was only partially registering this. He was becoming increasing uncomfortable at the prospect entering the dining area. Under normal circumstances he wouldn't have worried much. He had always been good at handling difficult situations, especially when there was food being served. The prospect of a hobbit-sized meal was always reassuring to him. In this case, however, he couldn't help thinking about what had happened the other day. Did anyone else know about it, he wondered. Frodo knew he could trust Sam and his caregivers to be respectful of his privacy, but Pippin and Merry were another story. Of course they would never hurt Frodo deliberately, but they were young and impulsive. Who knew what they had been saying, and to whom? Frodo glanced at Sam and smiled, silently thanking Iluvatar that he didn't have to walk into the room alone.

************

There must have been at least a hundred people in the room, but it was so large that it seemed almost empty. The Elves and Dwarves were sitting at opposite ends of the room and the humans were mingled between both cultures. To Frodo's relief, he spotted Aragorn sitting with Merry and Pippin at a table not far from the entrance.

As Frodo stepped apprehensively stepped inside, he made a show of silently admiring the décor. It was as visually impressive as the library had been, but in a less formal way. The table tops and flower vases set on every table seemed to made of a deep peach coloured marble, unusual but it blended perfectly with the ivory coloured walls and brightly polished brass lamps. The lamps were not all lit at that time, however. The sunlight that streamed through the largely open ceiling was enough to light the most room while not shining directly so as to be uncomfortable for anyone. The bright orange lilies and softer orange roses in the vases filled the room with their delicate scent. And there were, of course, a number of appetizing smells drifting in the kitchen.

"Frodo!" Pippin cried enthusiastically. "Merry, Frodo's here at last!" Frodo was shocked to see everyone's eyes seeming to turn to him, almost before Pippin was finished his sentence. He was even more shocked when at least half of them got up and quickly made their way towards, all asking him questions or offering their praise. He felt so overwhelmed at that moment it was all he could do to keep from screaming and darting away! Indeed, he was sure he would have if the prospect of a meal hadn't been to strong an inticement for him to resist.

"Give him some space," Aragorn intervened. "I know you all want to talk to him, but wait until he finishes eating then let him meet one person at a time." There were a number of embarrassed apologies as everyone returned to their seats. Frodo and Sam both looked up at him gratefully and made their way over to his table with Merry and Pippin.

Frodo seated himself between Sam and Aragorn, the two people he trusted most and was pleasantly surprised to find his plate, and Sam's filled almost he knew what was happening. "What are we doing today, Strider?" he asked as he ate contentedly. He was just starting to realize how hungry he had been.

"We'll teach you to sword fight," Pippin eagerly volunteered. "You have a sword, don't you? I think Bilbo gave you his sword." Frodo looked at Aragorn for approval.

"No serious fighting yet," Aragorn told him. "You need to be careful of your shoulder. But you could watch and learn the techniques, and maybe you could share with us what you learned at the library."

Frodo cringed slightly at mention of the library. He knew, of course the Aragorn was referring to the information he had gathered from studying, but he couldn't help being reminded of what had happened in the garden after that. He found it painful to think about strong the Ring's power over him had been at that point. Those emotions however, came from his own mind not the Ring. He had resisted Its power at that time, and if necessary, he could do it again. He hoped.

******************

"Very good, Pippin, but hold your sword a bit higher," Boromir directed. The Fellowship had gathered in a large courtyard. Boromir was teaching Pippin and Merry some new skills and Aragorn was teaching Sam about wilderness survival. Everyone seemed to be learning fast except Frodo. He just watched, trying not to let it bother him that he wasn't doing anything. It wasn't his fault, he reminded himself. His injury prevented him from doing much at that time. Another thought struck him immediately, however. It was his fault! The injury was a direct result of his giving in to the Ring's power. Had he not put It on at Weathertop, the Nazguls wouldn't have seen him and there would never have been a problem. Of course, it couldn't be helped now and there was no use regretting the past. Frodo told himself stop dwelling on it, but found that was easier said than done.

"Frodo, would you like to try?" Boromir called. Frodo looked at Aragorn who nodded his approval, then apprehensively drew his sword Sting. "Don't worry," Boromir reassured him. "We do everything very slowly when learning a new technique. Are you ready?" Boromir walked Frodo through the basics skills, which Frodo picked up quickly.

"Very good," Boromir told him when they were finished. "Do you think you could do it again, a bit faster this time?"

"I believe I could, if Aragorn has no objections," Frodo replied eagerly.

"All right, Frodo," Aragorn replied, "but you have to stop before you get really tired. Boromir, don't let him overexert himself."

"I promise not too," Boromir replied, and with that he and Frodo started a second round, then a third, each round a bit faster the previous one. Finally, Frodo held up his hand as a sign that he had enough. Feeling tired, but satisfied, Frodo put away his sword and glanced at the others expectantly. The rest of the Fellowship and some other observers were looking at him with amazement.

"Frodo that was wonderful!" Boromir told him at last, "better than I did at my first lesson, even without an injury!"

"Indeed, that most impressive," Legolas commented as the others all nodded in agreement.

"Looks like everyone's real pleased with you, Mr. Frodo," Sam told him proudly.

"I should think so!" Merry exclaimed, "especially after what happened yesterday in the garden!" Frodo cringed at those words and dropped his head miserably. This was too much. First he had been critically injured because he put the Ring on. Then he developed conjunctivitis and let that cut him off from everyone, then the Ring had almost overcome him again. All these things had been slowly chipping away at his self-confidence, and now everyone knew it! This was just too much!

"What happened yesterday in the garden?" Gimli demanded. Everyone's expressions immediately changed from admiration to concern.

Before anyone could say anything else, Merry was happily telling everyone the all details of Frodo's panic attack and what happened after that. Legolas, the one nearest to Frodo, stepped over to console him, but the Hobbit threw down his sword in absolute despair and dashed out of the yard before anyone could stop him. They would have gone after him, but Aragorn stopped them by raising his hand, explaining that Frodo probably needed some time alone. Frodo, however, wasn't planning to be alone. He felt could not longer carry the Ring and his own misery, so he gone off to find the one person he sensed was able and willing to share his burden.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List