Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In Clear Focus  by Coriandra

Frodo found his room unusually dark when he woke up the next morning. The only light was the fire in the corner by his bed. No sunlight filtered through the curtains and the only sound he could hear was the fountain. No birds chirped outside his window and there didn't even seem to be any activity in the hall. Frodo glanced at his clock and quickly discovered why. It was still early; in fact it was an hour before sunrise. He couldn't remember the last time he been awake this early and it gave him an eerie feeling that he couldn't account for.

Will it be anything like this in Mordor? he wondered. No, of course not! Rivendell is a place of beauty and joy and Mordor is anything but a place of beauty and joy. Of course if I fail...

Frodo shuddered when he considered that possibility then began to reflect on what had happened the day before. The Ring had put thoughts into trying to bring him down through fear. Now that Frodo understood what had happened, he recognized the thoughts immediately and his simply ordered them out of his mind. That didn't seem to be happening now, however. The negative thoughts and feelings came from his own mind.

Unable to sleep any more, he got dressed and opened his curtains to look out the stars. As he did, he was reminded of Arwen, the Evenstar of her people. Frodo smiled involuntarily. Arwen had been good to him and he would miss her ministrations on the quest, but as she herself said she was needed there. While Aragorn fought, Arwen gave hope to her people and held on to it herself, even as she faced the prospect of permanent separation from her family and losing her own immortal life. Frodo marveled at this. What courage that must have taken, more courage than actually fighting! He wished with all his heart he could be that strong.

As the sky slowly brightened and the stars began to fade, Frodo turned to make his bed and was startled to hear a knock on his door. He brushed his hair quickly and hurried over to the door, trying not look to look too surprised as he opened it.

"Good morning, Frodo," said a clear, musical voice. "I thought I could hear you walking around in here. Are you all right?"

"Good morning, Lady Arwen," Frodo said with a bow. "Yes, thank you, I'm all right. Please come in, I... I was just thinking about you." He blushed slightly as he said those last words.

"And I was thinking about you," Arwen told him as she entered. "That was an awful experience you had yesterday with the Ring." Frodo thought for a minute, wondering if he should say anything about what he had heard outside the study. No, that wasn't his place, he decided. He wouldn't say anything unless Arwen brought it up first.

"It worked out for the best," Frodo replied. "Now that I know what the Ring was trying to do, and know how to resist Its power, I don't think It will bother me again. Or at least not do anything I can't handle." Although Frodo smiled as he said this, a faint uncertainty still lingering in his mind. "And of course, It tries to, I'll have a lot of support to overcome It."

"Indeed," Arwen replied, "In these difficult times, we need to be able to depend on each other for support." Frodo thought he heard a note of sadness her voice and was about to ask her about that, but it vanished with her next sentence. "How are you feeling over all? Do your eyes still bother you?"

"A little," Frodo admitted. "They feel tired, as if they just had a long day, even if it's still early. But my vision is no longer clouded and the worst of the irritation disappear after my treatment yesterday morning."

"Very good. That soreness should disappear after another treatment or two. Shall I get your medicine now, or would you prefer to wait until your friends are with you?"

"I think it may as well be done now, if you don't mind," Frodo smiled, but the minute he spoke he began to get an uneasy feeling that he couldn't account for. "Of course, it can always wait if this is in anyway inconvenient for you. In fact, I could even do it myself."

"Nonsense, Ring-bearer," Arwen replied blithely, although she was hoping for a different answer. "I consider it an honour to attend to you, as would anyone on Middle Earth. Now make yourself comfortable while I get the supplies."

**********

"My lady, are you all right?" Frodo wanted to know, when Arwen had finished the treatment.

"Yes, Frodo. Why do you ask?" Arwen was smiling at him and seemed happy with the way he was healing, but as he looked at her he was sure he could detect sadness.

"Well, I could be wrong, of course," Frodo began, "but I sense that something is troubling you. The death of my parents heightened my ability to tune into to the feelings of others." He hesitated; knowing what he was about to say could seem out of place. At the same time however, he felt he had to know. "Are you thinking about what happened yesterday in Lord Elrond's study?" Arwen looked startled for a second, then embarrassed. "We didn't hear anything," Frodo assured her quickly. "As soon as we realized you were in there, Sam and Aragorn and I moved back and stayed out of the way until the door opened."

"Aragorn," Arwen sighed sadly. "I love him, Frodo. More than I have ever loved anyone, although my father comes close. When the Ring is destroyed, my father and the other Elves will have to leave Middle Earth. There will be nothing remaining for them here. The power of Vilya, Ring of the Air will fade. The power of Nenya, that my grandmother Galadriel wears will also fade and with it, the Elven paradise she that created. It has long been my father's desire that I go with him to Valinor, but I cannot. My heart belongs to Aragorn. In the Blessed Realm, I would always feel torn in two. My father understands this now."

"And has he fully accepted it?" Frodo went on, surprised to find Arwen confiding in him but more concerned than anything else.

"Yes, Frodo, he has. Yesterday was time of pain for both of us, but also a time of healing. My father made it clear to me then that, as painful the separation is going to be, it would be far more painful for him to see me live forever and be unhappy. And after the pain of separation will come healing and peace."

"He obviously loves you very much," Frodo commented, now feeling sad himself.

"Indeed he does, as I love him. And Frodo," Arwen smiled gently, seeing the expression on his face. "There is no need to be upset. You have a compassionate heart. A gift from Iluvatar no doubt, but really everything is all right now. Did you notice how my father gave you his undivided attention and picked up on your problem immediately?" As Frodo nodded, she continued, "Would that have been possible if he were hurting or troubled himself?"

"I don't think so," Frodo replied, noticing with relief that the sparkle had returned to Arwen's dark grey eyes. What she said made a lot of sense, he realized. It would be awful to live forever feeling torn in two. And he knew from his own experience that pain often activated healing. It was a very strange thing, but it was true.

Arwen, meanwhile, hoped she hadn't burdened Frodo with her problem. That was the last thing she wanted to do as he was facing such a great trial of his own. Even now that his eyes were almost healed, she wanted to continue to give him support and encouragement. That was all she could do. Or was it?






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List