Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Immortal Friends  by jenolas

Part Two: A Major Event

The years until he reached his majority could not pass swiftly enough for Legolas, who spent the time improving his archery skills, occasionally spending a few days hunting with Tathar when his training and patrol duties permitted, and learning more about the King’s court, as was his duty. However, when finally the joyous day arrived there was double cause for celebration for the two friends. Not only was Legolas now allowed to begin his training to become a warrior, but Tathar’s skills as a swordsman, woodsman and leader in the many skirmishes with Orcs and spiders in which he had been involved, had been recognised. The young warrior was promoted to second in command of one of the more experienced border patrols.

That evening there was a feast to mark Legolas’s special day, and as Thranduil escorted Elisiel to her seat at the head table, he bowed respectfully to Tathar who was seated beside Legolas.

“Congratulations, Tathar. You have earned the respect and admiration of my captains, and I am proud of you, as I know your adar would be also,” said Thranduil, clasping the young elf’s arm in the greeting of warriors, acknowledging the strength and confidence with which his gesture was returned.

“Ai, it is indeed good news,” added Legolas, forgoing the handclasp in favour of a brotherly embrace. “However, I must confess to being slightly disappointed,” he added, causing Tathar’s happy smile to fade slightly.

“Why?” he asked with concern.

“I was hoping to be assigned to your group for my training missions,” replied Legolas who had just learned that he would be with a patrol that guarded the pathway to the Misty Mountains, whereas Tathar’s patrol scouted far to the north.

“I would have objected, had that been the case,” said Thranduil sternly, surprising them both. He had already made his feelings on the matter known to the captain of the trainees, but had no cause for concern. The very experienced warrior was well aware of the danger and had assigned Legolas accordingly.

“Why?” asked Legolas unable to keep the hurt from his voice at the thought that his adar would even consider interfering in his training.

“Tathar?” asked Thranduil, giving the younger elf a chance to answer, testing his newly gained status. Tathar thought for a few moments, startled at being asked to respond, but quickly allowed his training to take hold. He turned to speak to Legolas.

“Because you and I know each other’s thoughts too well, and have come to rely on each other’s skills. When we hunt together, we do so as a team. You are the expert archer, and I am the swordsman, and we always know exactly what the other will do next.  In a battle you need to have all those skills, yet you must also learn how to fight on your own. I will not always be there to defend your back. It is appropriate to act as a part of a group in a planned attack, but what if you are caught alone and unawares? It is a lesson I have learned these past years, and one which may save your life one day,” he explained.

“Well said, Tathar, but there is also the chance that, because of your fierce loyalty, each of you would take unnecessary risks to defend or even rescue the other as well. Do you understand, Legolas?” Thranduil asked gently, not wishing to see his son unhappy.

“Ai, Adar, I suppose I would attempt to rescue Tathar should the need arise, no matter the danger,” he replied honestly, knowing his friend felt the same loyalty towards him.

“Exactly my point, and it would be an irresponsible act to put either of you in that position, at least until you are both more experienced and can understand exactly what risks you are capable of taking,” said Thranduil. Legolas nodded his accord but he was still not entirely convinced of the necessity of such a separation.

“Why the grim faces?” asked Elisiel as she turned from her conversation with Imrien to face her husband and son.

“We were just discussing battle strategy, my love,” replied Thranduil, unable to stop himself from loving her with his eyes. Elisiel blushed prettily, but quickly recovered when a hint of sadness clouded her husband’s face.

“This is supposed to be a joyous occasion, enough talk of battles,” she admonished lightly. They had agreed not to let her newfound yearning to sail West mar Legolas’s day, but Thranduil was finding it difficult to keep his grief from overwhelming him, and they had yet to tell him the ill news. “Come, Legolas, will you not dance with your naneth?” she asked, holding out her hand to her son.

“The dance floor ’tis but a battlefield of a different kind, my lady. Once he is in their midst, the fair maids fight for his attentions,” teased Tathar as Legolas led Elisiel to join in the dance. Thranduil managed to laugh at the quelling look his son gave Tathar, and then nudged the younger elf gently in the ribs.

“Should you not also do your duty towards Imrien?” he asked meaningfully. Tathar nodded and a few moments later he and his naneth were swirling gaily among the dancers.

“It has been too long since we last danced, my Legolas. When did you grow so strong and tall that I have now to look up to see into your eyes?” Elisiel wondered out loud as she ran her hands lightly down arms that had grown muscular from much archery practice.

“If you were to dance with me more often, rather than handing me over to the arms of the young ladies, maybe it would not seem so,” he teased, with a hint of displeasure at her usual habit.

“Am I to be blamed that you have grown as handsome and charming as your Adar? What maid would not wish to capture your heart? Of course, if you prefer to think as a warrior, surely having your heart held captive by such an ‘enemy’ would be a pleasurable, if not desirable experience?” she teased in return, kissing him lightly on a slightly reddened cheek to hide his embarrassment from onlookers.

“Perhaps that is so, but it is not a battle in which I wish to engage at this time,” he told her sternly, returning her kiss to take the sting from his words. Elisiel sensed the seriousness in his tone and changed the subject slightly.

“As you wish, you surely know your own heart, however does Tathar know his?” she asked as they watched Imrien and her son dance past, laughing gaily.

“What do you mean?” asked Legolas warily, easily recognising the slightly mischievous tone in his naneth’s voice.

“I mean, has he not noticed that Mirieth has eyes only for him?” she asked, inclining her head in the direction of the maid who was also watching Tathar’s every move.

Legolas followed the direction of her gaze, recognising the fair haired beauty who was often joined him among the spectators at the practice field. Most of the trainees, including Tathar thought it was Legolas she favoured, although he had not gained that impression. Legolas had spoken to her on several occasions, mostly answering her questions about the dangers of weapons practice or who he favoured to win the next tournament. She always asked after Tathar as well, and in fact he recalled that Tathar had more than once commented on her beauty. Elisiel laughed when he told her of this.

“You have reached your majority this day, but you are still naïve in matters of the heart. It should be obvious that they  are attracted to one another, perhaps all they need is a little nudge to bring them closer?” she suggested. “Imrien tells me they both are really quite shy.”

 Legolas favoured his naneth with a disapproving look for indulging in such gossip, but Elisiel merely smiled, took her son by the hand and led him to Mirieth. He was neither shy nor had he any intention of allowing Elisiel to speak either for him or Tathar, and so gallantly asked the maid to dance, as he was expected to do. Mirieth had no choice to accept as her Queen smiled encouragingly at her, giving her unspoken approval.

“What are you planning, my love?” Thranduil whispered into Elisiel’s ear as he walked up behind her, startling her as she watched Legolas dance.

“Not a match for our son, if that is what you would accuse me of trying to make, although I would like to see that day before I….” her words were silenced by Thranduil’s lips as he kissed her deeply.

“This is not the time to speak of that. Allow us all to enjoy this night, the day for tears will be here all too soon,” he said, crushing her to him to hide the deep despair in his eyes just as Legolas looked their way. He smiled at his parent’s open display of affection, not realising the deep sorrow that lay hidden beneath the surface..

At Imrien’s request, Tathar escorted her back to the table and politely asked Tariel if she would also like to dance. The elder elf graciously declined, and as he turned to seek another partner, the young warrior froze in place as Legolas danced by, whispering into Mirieth’s ear and holding her far too close for Tathar’s liking.

A momentary flash of anger crossed his face, and Tathar felt his heartbeat racing as he quickly excused himself and left the glade where the feast was being held, seeking the cool darkness of the forest. He has never before experienced such a strange reaction, and was shocked to realise that in that moment, he actually felt hatred towards Legolas. The intensity of the feeling shocked him and he sought solace against the soothing trunk of one of the trees. As he sat there allowing the gentle hum of the tree’s voice reverberate through him, the thought came unbidden to his mind that it was not hatred, but jealousy he felt. His dark thoughts took hold of his reason, fuelling his jealousy into rage once more. It was obvious that the one he loved preferred Legolas, so would he now be left alone to die of grief as he had heard sometimes happened to elves?

“Tathar, what are you doing out here?” asked Legolas as he quietly approached his friend. The concern in his voice did little to dispel the unfounded jealousy Tathar felt, and he lashed out with words.

“Go away, Legolas! We have nothing to say to each other!” he shouted angrily, standing to face the younger elf who was astonished at his friend’s reaction, at the fear and rage in his eyes.

“Obviously I have done something to upset you, mellon nin. Please tell me what?” Legolas asked, taking a step closer and shocked to see Tathar take a step back, as if he could not bear to be anywhere near his young friend. Tathar eyed him warily and his eyes still flashed angrily, so Legolas took a step backwards as well, to indicate he meant no harm.

“I saw you dancing with Mirieth,” Tathar said coldly, as if that explained all, when it actually explained very little to Legolas’s way of thinking.

“As you have done many times over the years, why should that anger you so tonight?” Legolas asked, suddenly realising that it was not anger, but jealousy that had hardened Tathar’s heart towards him.

“You know I am fond of her, and you can have your choice of any of the others, so why did you have to choose her? How could you betray me like this?” he asked his voice now filled with despair.

“I am not in love with her, nor any other maid. You know I would confide in you if I were, just as you know I would never betray you. I was simply dancing with her as my naneth requested. In fact, had you not behaved so childishly and run off, you would now be dancing with her yourself!” stated Legolas, angered at Tathar’s sudden lack of trust.

“What do you mean?” asked Tathar, his rage and jealousy disappearing quickly as he saw how he had hurt his dear friend, to be replaced by shame at his foolish and hurtful words. Legolas had spoken nothing but the truth.

“I had just convinced her that you were more than a little interested in her affections, and was bringing her to you when you disappeared into the night. It was an extremely poorly timed exit on your part,” explained Legolas somewhat more calmly, daring to approach and place a comforting arm around Tathar who was now looking decidedly miserable. “Mirieth loves you, not me. How could you think I would knowingly stand in the way of your happiness?”

“It was unworthy of me to accuse you of such a thing. It seems that warrior though I have become, I have not yet learned to conquer my own feelings when it comes to matters of the heart. I am so sorry I doubted your intentions, mellon nin. Can you forgive me?” implored Tathar as he locked eyes with his friend, sighing with relief at the forgiveness and compassion he saw there. He groaned slightly as a mischievous light brightened Legolas’s eyes, and he wondered what price he would be forced to pay for his folly.

“I will accept your apology if you promise to march straight back to the feast, ask Mirieth to dance, and state your affections for her in no unmistakeable manner,” declared Legolas, smiling at the fear such an act apparently inspired in his friend.

“What do you consider to be ‘unmistakeable manner’, mellon nin?” asked Tathar curiously, almost afraid to hear the answer.

“Perhaps a kiss…?” suggested Legolas.

“On the lips… ?” Tathar whispered.

 “Of course! Your intentions towards her are entirely honourable, are they not?” enquired Legolas, enjoying his friend’s discomfort somewhat.

“Ai, most assuredly, but surely you do not mean in full view of all?” Tathar asked, now looking absolutely petrified.

“Ai, I do. A kiss such as the one everyone just witnessed between my parents,” said Legolas smiling as his shy friend turned pale at the thought of such a display. “Take courage, my brave warrior, Naneth says that having your heart captured is a pleasant experience, and I promise not to try and rescue you,” he teased as he placed a brotherly kiss on Tathar’s brow.

Barely a year later Tathar and Mirieth announced their betrothal to the delight of all.

tbc





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List