Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Immortal Friends  by jenolas

Part Three. A Time of Tears

“Surely a young warrior such as you have become requires more than an apple for breakfast?” Elisiel asked Legolas in an attempt to coax a few words from her son. He had just returned from his first ‘real’ patrol on the outskirts of Mirkwood, and it was obvious by his unusual silence and the slight frown he seemed to be constantly wearing that something was troubling him.

“I am not hungry, thank you, Naneth,” he replied as he stared distractedly across the sunlit courtyard. Elisiel exchanged a worried glance with Thranduil, who reached over to take Legolas’s chin in his hand and gently turned his son’s face to his.

“What happened while you were away to cause you such anguish?” he asked releasing Legolas’s chin, but maintaining eye contact. “I know you killed your first Orc, is that what is haunting you?” Legolas shook his head and allowed a small smile to curl the corners of his mouth. There was no hiding anything from his adar.

“Ai, something is haunting my thoughts, but it is not the killing. My training and the others in my group helped me to deal with that,” he replied. “I sense some kind of dark evil that lingers in my dreams and causes my blood to chill with fear. It is very slowly growing stronger, and I dread the nameless danger that is to come.”

“I have heard that something has taken up residence in Dol Guldur, and intend to increase patrols in that area. It is the Shadow in the south that whispers to you, as it does to many of us in Greenwood,” explained Thranduil, sensing that Sauron’s ghost was only part of that which haunted Legolas’s dreams. “There are dark times ahead, even darker than you can imagine,” he added as he gripped Elisiel’s hand.

“It is time he was told, my love,” she whispered softly, but not soft enough. Thranduil reluctantly nodded his agreement and turned away to hide the tears that filled his eyes at the knowledge of how deeply his son was about to be hurt.

“Time I was told what?” asked Legolas, suddenly feeling a chill that had nothing to do with the Shadow.

“It is such a lovely day, will you walk with me in the forest, Legolas?” asked Elisiel suddenly, hiding her sorrow from her son as only a mother can as she took his hand.

By unspoken agreement, they walked silently and headed for their special place, the ‘magical’ wishing pool of his childhood, where monsters were banished, and many pleasant days had been spent in his naneth’s company as they made floral crowns, or waited for the stars to awaken. Aside from a maid on one or two rare occasions, Legolas had not shared this place with any one, except Tathar.

The young elf sat resting his back against the trunk of one of the trees that bordered the glade, and knew without doubt that he was about to hear some ill news as Elisiel sat close beside him and lay her head on his shoulder. Legolas placed his arm about her shoulder and held her as she spoke.

“I will tell you all you wish to know, but please do not interrupt for what I have to say is very difficult.”  Legolas nodded and taking a deep breath as if to draw courage from the air itself, Elisiel told her tale.

“Several months before you reached your majority, your adar and I visited Imladris.  While we were there an unfortunate incident occurred. Celebrían had taken Arwen to Lothlórien, so that whilst Lord Elrond and Thranduil were involved in their talks, I was left to find my own amusement. I was wandering around Elrond’s library, looking for something to read, when my eye was caught by a display of seashells. There were many different shapes and sizes, some being so delicately thin to be almost transparent in the morning sun, and others reflecting all the colours of the rainbow from their pearly surfaces. However, there was one large one that seemed to be calling my name.

Almost against my will, I felt the desire to pick it up and hold it closer to my ear to better hear the sweet voice of the sea as it whispered to me, begging me to follow. As I closed my eyes, I saw the beauty of Valinor, felt the warm salty breeze that promised unending days of carefree pleasure. In that instant my heartbeat started racing and my blood began to sing with a yearning that I knew would force me to take sail. My reverie was interrupted when Thranduil angrily tore the shell from my hand and threw it to the floor, the stone tiles causing it to shatter into small pieces.

The shell was broken, but the spell was not and the longing remains. I am slowly fading, my sweet child. I must sail West as soon as possible,” she said shifting so that she could see her son’s thoughts.

“You are leaving Adar and me? Do you not love us enough to stay and fight this?” asked Legolas, his immaturity very apparent in the face of his anguish. There was such pain in his voice and despair in his eyes that Elisiel’s heart broke again as it had when she told Thranduil.

“You know how much I love you, Legolas, but do you not understand that I have used up all my strength to stay here this long? Do you not see my light is dimming day by day? Would you have me fade away before your eyes?” The words were harsh, but she had to make him realise what was at stake. Legolas crushed her to him, sobbing uncontrollably.

“No, I do not wish that, but what will I do without you?” he asked, no longer a warrior, just a grieving son about to lose the being most precious to him. He dearly loved Thranduil, but the bond forged between mother and son was very strong and incredibly special.

“You will always remember that I am merely waiting for you in a beautiful place, and you will be a strong and great comfort to your adar, who is in desperate need of you,” she answered as she gently stroked his hair until the tears subsided. “My song will sing to you both, no matter how far we are apart.”

As they walked back the palace, Legolas’s heart break turned to anger at Thranduil.

“Why did Adar not insist that Lord Elrond try to heal you?” he asked Elisiel who smiled as she recalled the rest of the incident.

“Oh, he did, and rather angrily at that, but when told there was none, I am afraid he and Elrond exchanged some rather harsh and insulting words. I did not hear it all, for dear Erestor saw that I was not well, and escorted me to my room and gave me a small glass of miruvor. He laughingly assured me that they would not come to blows for he had left Lord Glorfindel in charge of the ‘debate’ that was raging in the study. Nevertheless, we left Imladris not long after your adar returned, declaring his friendship with Elrond to be over.”

“No wonder they are not on speaking terms,” said Legolas who had often wondered how the rift between Imladris and Greenwood had come about.

“Only until Thranduil makes his peace as he has promised to do on his return from Mithlond,” said Elisiel. “I will make sure I speak to Glorfindel when we arrive, and ask him to act as mediator.” Sadness descended like a cloud once more as her words stabbed at the open wound in his heart.

“I think I should go to Adar alone,” he said as they reached the bridge. Elisiel nodded, and reached up to kiss both his cheeks, sending him to Thranduil with a sad smile.

In the privacy of his study, the King and his son embraced each other and allowed their tears of grief to flow freely, neither able to voice the sorrow that each could nonetheless feel spread to the very deepest parts of their souls.

Later that day, Legolas returned to the pool to grieve on his own and reflect on the changes that were occurring in his life. He idly selected pebbles and skipped them across the pool, and he allowed his thoughts to wander. As happy as he was for Tathar and Mirieth, he missed the company of his friend, who was always either away on patrol, or courting his lady. Of course he had other friends, but Legolas missed the closeness of the one he considered a brother. Elisiel’s news had only served to make him feel even more alone and he felt as if all those he loved were slowly leaving him.

“Adar and I will never be separated!” he declared defiantly to the afternoon sun, angrily throwing the rest of the pebbles into the pool.

“Not even should Middle-earth once again find itself at war?” asked a familiar voice from behind him. Legolas stood and smiled sadly at Tathar.

“Not even then!” he said as he stepped forward to clasp his friend’s arm in the greeting of warriors.

“What, no embrace for me?” teased Tathar, pulling Legolas into a hug before he had a chance to respond. “No one, not even the Lady Galadriel can see all futures,” he reminded Legolas. “What are you doing out here, should you not be at training?”

“I have just returned from my first mission, and have been granted leave for the day. I came here to think,” he said casting his eyes downward in despair. “What brings you here?”

“I, too have just returned from the north, and find that Mirieth is otherwise occupied, so I came looking for you. I was told you had come this way, and what do I find but my friend sitting here, skipping stones across the pool with some force and feeling sorry for himself, judging by your words,” said Tathar lightly, having no idea as to the real reason Legolas why sought solitude.

“You know naught of what I feel,” hissed Legolas unable to keep the tears from his eyes. Tathar sensed something was seriously amiss, and immediately regretted his words.

“What has happened, mellon nin?” he asked gently, unable to keep the shock from his face as Legolas told him of his sorrow.

“I am not sure when she is leaving, but I think it is soon,” he said as he finished speaking.

“The Queen leaves the day after tomorrow,” said Tathar with certainty, drawing his friend into another comforting embrace.

“You lie!” said a distraught Legolas.

“Nay, my patrol has been assigned to guard the King and Queen on a journey to Imladris in two days hence,” affirmed Tathar. He thought it wise not to mention that Legolas was not included in the travel arrangements.

Legolas soon found out when they returned to the palace, and he was comforted to find Tathar waiting for him in his chambers after Thranduil and Elisiel told their son he was to be permitted to travel only as far as the border of the forest. Tathar listened and offered sympathetic words as Legolas vented his fury and frustration, refusing to listen to reason even when Tathar tried several times to explain that it was out of love for their son, and because of their fear that he might too become afflicted with the sea longing should he reach the Havens that had prompted their decision.

“Calm down, Legolas!” Tathar ordered loudly, finally tired of the tirade. “Behave like the adult you claim to be and accept that which you can not change. There is no shame in grief, but try and see this from your parent’s view. It is you alone they are trying to protect, surely you will not mar their love for you with hurtful words?”

“It is so hard…”, said a defeated Legolas as he slumped despondently into one of his armchairs.

“Consider that it is even harder for them. I have never seen tears in the King’s eyes before, nor the Queen’s face bereft of a smile…their hearts are breaking too.”

After Tathar left him, Legolas took heed of his words and spent the last days doing his best to appear less grief stricken, even managing to make Thranduil and Elisiel laugh as they reached the path where their ways parted.

“Find yourself a love to share your song, and then you will never be alone.” Elisiel had suggested.

“I think that Mirieth has taken charge of that task, Naneth,” he replied with a small smile. “Fortunately she seems not to have found anyone she considers worthy of my affections as yet.”

“You will change your mind when the time comes, although it will certainly be difficult to find one as lovely as your Naneth,” added Thranduil. “I will see you on my return, Legolas.”

“Will not the sea also call to you, Adar?” he asked, suddenly more afraid for Thranduil than himself.

“I have seen the sea, but my love for the forest is far too deep to allow such a hold on me. I will leave these shores one day, but not yet,” he answered, pleased to see relief cross his son’s face.

“Namarie, my sweet child, my brave warrior,” said Elisiel as she felt the strong arms of her son enfold her for the last time.

“Namarie, Naneth,” he whispered, kissing her tenderly on the cheek. He watched until they disappeared from view, then rode swiftly back through the forest until he reached the wishing pool.

 Night had fallen by the time he arrived, and Legolas greeted each star whose reflection shone from the inky black surface with a fervent wish that Elisiel would change her mind.

It was not to be and Legolas never visited the pool again whilst he remained in Greenwood.

tbc                        

 

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List