Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Immortal Friends  by jenolas

Part 5   New Paths

Legolas put the time he was confined to bed to good use, contemplating long and hard about his and Tathar’s behaviour, and their very different plans for the future. Tathar was soon to be wed, and Legolas’s immediate goal was to win back his adar’s trust and respect, and he decided that an apology would be the first step.

“Adar, I wish to apologise for my part in Tathar’s plans. I am ashamed that I attempted to deceive you so, and I should never have allowed his words to convince me otherwise,” Legolas said humbly as he and Thranduil sat beneath the shade of the entwined leaves that formed a thick canopy above them that allowed in only a small amount of dappled sunlight. The circular stand of trees was one of Legolas’s favourite places in the forest, and he had decided to share it with his adar.

As predicted, Thranduil was unable to maintain his anger at his son. The fear of losing him that had gripped his rational thoughts passed quickly, leaving only his love for his son, and their shared grief. Elisiel’s absence was still like an open wound, yet both adar and son could hear her song in their dreams, and felt the contentment in the bittersweet notes of a melody that was also tinged with a hint of melancholy.

“Ai, you should not have allowed his words to sway you but I must admit it is really not unexpected. I have not told you this before, but Tathar’s adar and I were often at odds with King Oropher,” he confided in an astounded Legolas. “In fact, there was one time I recall that seems slightly similar to recent events,” he added his eyes alight with mischief as he relived the memory. Legolas waited expectantly for the rest of the story, but Thranduil remained silent. Finally Legolas’s impatient curiosity prevailed and he asked for an explanation. For the space of several heartbeats Thranduil looked as if he was seriously considering denying the request, but finally he told his tale.

“There is not much to say about it, other than we were practicing swordplay one afternoon, when the combined armies had stopped to take rest on the march to Mordor. We noticed that Elrond and some of his warriors had stopped to watch and spoke poorly of our technique. I freely admit that I am more skilled with the bow than the sword, but Tathar’s adar was an excellent sword fighter, and  he deliberately made it appear that he was far less skilled than even the others were saying, then  promptly challenged Elrond to a contest.

Now the Peredhel is also extremely highly skilled with the sword, and it was an excellent contest that ended unfortunately when he slightly miscalculated and deeply slashed Tathar’s adar across the chest. It was a terrible wound and took more than a day to heal fully. Both Kings were furious at such irresponsibility from their warriors, and such contests were promptly forbidden. In private, King Oropher reprimanded Tathar’s adar and I, for he knew we had instigated the challenge, by deed if not words, and his anger with us that time lasted several days,”  said Thranduil, a shadow of sadness passing across his face as reflected silently on the losses during that war.

“I think Tathar would like to hear this story, it seems we are both quite like our adars in some ways,” commented Legolas, eliciting a look of pride from Thranduil, who apparently liked the idea immensely. “Will you tell him when he returns?”

“Ai, only I hope it does not give him any unwanted ideas,” teased Thranduil.

“Speaking of unwanted ideas, can you not ask Tariel to leave Mirieth and I alone once in a while?” begged Legolas who spent much of the time Tathar was away patrolling the western outskirts of the forest, but when he was home, did as he had promised his friend, and kept Mirieth company, usually with Tariel as an unnecessary chaperone.

Now he frowned as Thranduil laughed heartily for the first time in many months.

“She is another who openly defies me when it suits her to do so, what makes you think she will do as I ask?” he enquired still laughing with his eyes. They had left the forest to make their way back just in time for the meal. Seeing Mirieth and Tariel already seated, Thranduil and Legolas walked over and joined them, saying nothing as the two ladies were involved in a slightly heated conversation.

“We are naught but good friends, my lady,” Mirieth told her elder loudly, tired of feeling as if her every move was being watched.

“Ai, I know, and there is no need to raise your voice. Legolas honours you as a friend who is betrothed to another, and would never betray Tathar’s trust, but I know something of how envious young Elves, and especially maidens, think. I intend to make certain there is absolutely no question of anyone accusing either of you of impropriety,” she explained patiently.

“I think you just wish to keep Legolas to yourself and away from his would-be suitors, Tariel,” teased Thranduil finally deciding to enter in the conversation.

“Well he is both the most handsome and charming Elf in Greenwood,” replied Tariel coyly, covering Legolas’s hand with hers and giving it an affectionate squeeze. “Of course, had you not sent his friend away, there would be no need for us to spend time together,” she added slyly, trying to gauge Thranduil’s current attitude towards her grandson.

“Not that I need explain my actions to you, nor anyone else,” began Thranduil in a tone that was less harsh than his words, “but the northern borders, to which Tathar’s group is normally assigned, required closer monitoring. In the past months I have received reports of many raids by orcs, and even a band of Easterlings, on one occasion.”

“It sounds like a dangerous place to be,” whispered Mirieth to Legolas, who placed a comforting arm around her shoulders, ignoring Tariel’s glare as Mirieth rested her head on Legolas’s shoulder. “No fresh blueberry tarts for me this evening,” he thought, judging by the elder lady’s countenance.

“More dangerous for the orcs, I think given Tathar’s current state of mind,” he replied. Mirieth nodded her understanding.

“Ai, Tathar felt so guilty that you were injured and was so enraged at the foul creatures  who attacked you, that I  wager he is determined to seek revenge. He is a fearsome warrior,” she said proudly.

“Who is not even afraid of his King’s wrath,” added Thranduil with a disapproving tone of voice. “Let us hope that he returns unharmed, and with a far more responsible attitude.”

“So you have forgiven him?” asked Tariel, easily reading the meaning in Thranduil’s words.

“Ai, both he and Legolas are back in my good graces,” answered the King with an affectionate smile for his son. “I am not heartless, after all I have made certain he is to be back in plenty of time to prepare for the wedding,” he added with a wink at Mirieth, who cast her eyes aside as she blushed prettily.

“Until he does, you can expect me to be close by,” Tariel said to Mirieth and Legolas.

Tathar and his scouting party returned several weeks later, and after a brief but loving reunion with Mirieth, he marched directly to the throne room to make his peace with Thranduil. He had barely passed the doorway when he found himself enfolded in the warm and friendly embrace of Legolas.

“Welcome home, mellon nin,” he exclaimed happily as Tathar returned the embrace in kind. “I smell Mirieth’s favourite scent, so you did not come here first?” asked Legolas, pouting in a very child like manner, feigning jealousy until mirth caused him to express his true feelings.

“It is good to see that you have returned safely,” he added in a more serious tone.

“I am pleased to be here, and to see you fully recovered. Between you and me, had I not seen Mirieth first, there might not have been a wedding in the near future. We have been apart what seems like an age to me,” he added regretfully.

“I understand,” replied Legolas for he had grown quite fond of Mirieth’s company, and was realising that his naneth’s parting advice to find himself a wife may actually have some merit.

“I had better make my apologies to the King before I lose the courage to do so,” said Tathar, sounding intimidated, yet acting anything but as he approached the throne and bowed gracefully to the King. “Upon reflection during my time away, I see that I owe you a most sincere apology, and I ask that you reconsider allowing Legolas and me to serve in the same patrol in the near future,” he requested with a polite bow.

“I accept your apology, and will consider your request, but not until after your wedding,” responded Thranduil as he stood and quickly embraced Tathar in a fatherly fashion.

The wedding day was soon upon them, and was the first really joyous event in Greenwood since before the Queen had sailed West. It was as if a heavy mist had been lifted, and even Thranduil was seen dancing among the merrymakers once the singing and dancing commenced. Legolas also enjoyed himself thoroughly, and willingly danced with every eligible maid, searching for his soul mate. She was not to be found, and so Legolas contented himself with a kiss on the lips from the bride, and a peck on the cheek from Tathar.

Once Tathar and Mirieth left to spend their first few months together in one of the more secluded talans built for such an occasion, Legolas was left to his own amusement, and he spent the intervening days either hunting with Thranduil or simply keeping him company in his study as the King dealt with the more mundane tasks of running the kingdom. Legolas noticed that reports seemed to be arriving more often, and saw the deep concern in Thranduil’s eyes as he read the ill news brought by messengers from Lothlórien. It seemed as if the Shadow was beginning to slowly awaken.

Although the border patrols were an ever increasing necessity, Thranduil allowed the trainees and the newly returned patrol to remain in his Hall for several months prior to departing on their next missions. One evening, when the Elves were indulging in one of their impromptu feasts, Thranduil rased his glass several times to acknowledge warriors who had performed outstandingly in the many skirmishes. Tathar was one, for his captain had informed Thranduil and Legolas that he had truly redeemed himself by single-handedly defeating an orc raiding party that had attacked one of the small human villages.

“I would like to congratulate Tathar on his act of bravery and skill, and so am pleased to announce that he has been promoted to lead his own scouting party, with Legolas as his second in command,” Thranduil said. There was much applause, and many kind words spoken to the two, but neither Legolas nor Tathar could do anything but nod politely and stare in disbelief at Thranduil.

“I am giving you both a chance to prove your worth,” he said in answer to the unspoken questions in their eyes. “I require that a report on the increasing darkness that is shrouding the south of Greenwood be delivered to Imladris, and am sending Tathar’s patrol to do so within the next few days,” he told them, smiling inwardly at the astonishment, pride and excitement he saw in their faces.

“We will not let you down this time Adar,” promised Legolas, who was still unable to believe his good fortune. Not only was he being given more responsibility, but at last he would have the chance to see Imladris for the first time.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List