Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Immortal Friends  by jenolas

Part 6.  A New Threat

The Last Homely House was well hidden deep within the craggy slopes of the valley through which the Bruinen flowed, and even though none of the Elves from Greenwood aside from Tathar had made the journey there before, they somehow made their way unerringly towards their destination.  Legolas sensed a benevolent, yet frighteningly powerful force guiding him forward, whispering to his soul of the beauty that waited ahead. Just as the paths to Thranduil’s realm were hidden from all but the Wood Elves, and kept secret by the King’s powers of enchantment, so too was the road to Imladris unmarked to the eyes of those not of Elf kind.

This discovery, and the excitement of a journeying to another elven realm for the first time, only served to fuel Legolas’s sense of wonder, as it did for the others. The Greenwood party cautiously made their way along the path that was only wide enough for the horses to traverse in single file and soon caught their first glimpse of the legendary refuge. The early morning sun appeared to be captured by the exquisite structures, only to escape as brilliant flashes of light from the jewel of the valley. The soft sounds of the waterfalls whispered a welcome to the newcomers as they rode slowly through the stone archway that was the gate to Imladris.

Their passage had not gone unnoticed by the silent, yet ever present guards who had sent word of the arrival of the visitors on to Elrond, and then followed them, undetected, into the courtyard where the Lore Master was waiting to greet them.

“Tathar, it is good to see you again, and under much more pleasant circumstances,” said Elrond, placing his hand on his heart in the customary gesture of welcome among Elves.

“Ai, this time my heart is burdened with joy rather than sadness,” responded Tathar, copying Elrond’s gesture.

“I see you have travelled in good company. Surely this can be none other than Legolas Thranduilion,” he said as he caught sight of the younger elf who wore the fair countenance of his adar, and who now bowed respectfully to his elder.

“I am pleased to meet you, Lord Elrond. Adar had spoken of you often,” answered Legolas with a brilliant smile that added a sparkle to his already bright eyes.

“Not always affectionately, I expect,” said Elrond lightly, smiling slightly at the faint blush that crept into Legolas’s cheeks, indicating that the Lord of Imladris’s words had a ring of truth about them.

“Perhaps not, but definitely always with respect,” he said in Thranduil’s defence.

“The feeling is mutual,” Elrond assured him with a warmth that put Legolas at ease. “Now, if you will finish the introductions, Tathar, I will have your horses taken care of whilst I summon Erestor to show you to the guest chambers. Naturally you are all free to roam about and savour the beauty of Imladris, if you so choose,” offered Elrond, turning his attention back to Tathar whom he correctly assumed was the leader.

The formalities were quickly dispensed with, and Legolas was disappointed to hear that Elladan and Elrohir were away in the north, scouting with the Rangers, for had hoped to become better acquainted with Elrond’s sons during his brief visit. Rather than go to their chambers, Legolas and Tathar were invited to accompany Elrond to his study to deliver Thranduil’s messages.

Legolas felt rather nervous as they approached the elegantly carved door that led to Elrond’s sanctuary, but he relaxed a little as Tathar offered silent support by firmly gripping his friend’s shoulder. This was the place where Elisiel had succumbed to the call of the sea, and sensing Legolas’s reluctance to enter the room, Elrond reassured him that the seashells had been removed. Although neither he nor the Noldor who resided in Imladris were likely to be affected as the Queen had been,  the Elves of Greenwood and Lothlórien, several of whom were also currently visiting, were definitely at risk of becoming afflicted by the sea longing.

Before he heard the reports from Thranduil, Elrond decided it would be prudent to summon Haldir and Glorfindel to join in the discussion. The reports of the increasing orc population, and the more frequent attacks on both Men and Elves were disquieting to all, as was Haldir’s observation that there seemed to be a veil of  blackness over the part of Greenwood that was visible from the heights of Cerin Amroth. Legolas confirmed that he and Thranduil and some others could feel the chill of evil in the south, and with the wisdom of his foresight, Elrond assumed that Sauron was awakening.

 The discussion turned to strategies that may be used to defeat the shadow should Elrond’s fear be well founded, and the afternoon passed quickly as the younger elves listened with fascination as he and Glorfindel told tales of battles long past. The comradeship and affection in the glance Tathar and Legolas exchanged when Elrond spoke of his own relationship with Gil-galad did not pass unnoticed.

“I see you two have forged a similar bond, of the brotherhood of warriors that will give you both the strength to see you through the dark days I fear are ahead,” he said knowingly.

“Ai, not unlike that between your sons, or Haldir and his brothers, if I am not mistaken,” added Glorfindel, raising a questioning eyebrow at the Lothlórien elf.

“Indeed you are correct, my lord,” replied Haldir, showing his great respect for Elrond’s seneschal.

“It pleases me that there is much hope for the future, for the younger elves have the makings of fine warriors, even before the battle is joined,” said Elrond sincerely.

“Not to mention the fact that some of them are excellent archers, although more experience in skirmishes would likely serve them well,” said Glorfindel nonchalantly, favouring the younger elves with a look that indicated he was well aware of the archery tournament, and the result. Legolas, Tathar and Haldir had the grace to look slightly embarrassed, causing Elrond and Glorfindel to smile with amusement at their chagrin.

“Enough of this talk of war and darkness, it is surely time for the evening meal, and some merrymaking afterwards to lighten the mood,” suggested Glorfindel.

                                                               *********

It was only a few days later that the Greenwood Elves took their leave and began the journey home. By mutual agreement, they decided not to travel directly back to the forest, but to head south and investigate Haldir’s claim. Tathar suggested that they go to Lothlórien, but they had no need to do so once they made their way to the summit of a particularly high, tree covered rise in the foothills of the Misty Mountains. The gloom far off to the south was already faintly visible to the keen eyes of the Elves.

“I see what Haldir meant,” said Legolas from the top branch of the tree he had climbed to get a better view of the cloud that hung over the ruins of Dol Guldur. Tathar and the others quickly climbed nearby trees to see the horrifying sight for themselves. Not only was there a strange, murky cloud hanging low over the forest, but the trees beneath it were beginning to wither, looking as if the very light that gave them life was slowly being extinguished by a dark power.

“I think it unwise of us to attempt to enter the forest there,” said Tathar displaying his new found sense of responsibility once they had had their fill of the sorrowful sight and had gathered around the campfire that had just been lit. It was not yet twilight, but the bright flames provided a light to lift their spirits.

“Ai, who knows what dark creatures lurk in wait,” agreed Legolas, also behaving with more maturity. “We should hurry back to our realm and inform Adar. I am certain he will wish to send his more experienced warriors to investigate.”

That evening, sweet elvish voices sang a melancholy lament for the fading trees of their forest.

                                                       **********

Thranduil did not need to take the risk and send a patrol to try and discover the cause of the darkness, for Tathar learned the answer unexpectedly. His patrol had just entered the familiar and well loved forest, and was listening to the anxious whispering of the trees, trying to decipher what had caused such a feeling of dread to overcome them, when Legolas noticed the body of a Man several paces from the elf path.

“I think he is one of the hunters from the village just outside the forest. He seems to have been bitten by something quite large,” he said as he bent to examine the two large marks that had travelled deep into the man’s neck.

“These trees have a strange, sticky, web like threads hanging from the upper branches,” said Tathar as he moved away from the body to examine some large, rope like filaments of a greyish hued substance. He felt rather than saw something watching him, and stood very still, gazing into the branches above, directly into two cruel, black eyes. He was unable to stifle a gasp of surprise, and called softly to the others, warning them to beware of the danger.

“Look directly above and tell me my eyes are deceiving me,” he asked Legolas who had moved to stand beside his friend.

“Nay, if your eyes lie, then so do mine. I have never seen a spider of that size before,” whispered Legolas, trying not to attract the ugly creature’s attention. The spider’s black body was the size of an Elf’s head, its legs covered with coarse hairs and its fangs were obviously quite deadly. There was also a fearsome and crude air of intelligence emanating from the creature, and neither Legolas nor Tathar were ashamed to admit to being afraid of the dark one.

Their fear was short lived as they felt the others in the group forming a defensive ring behind them, and heard the faint creaking of elven bows strings being drawn tight as arrows were nocked in readiness for battle. The spider was given no chance to kill again as each arrow quickly found its target. Both Elves breathed a premature sigh of relief, for in the next instant several other spiders quickly began to attack. Even the increased numbers were no match for the skill and ferocity of the Greenwood warriors, and all the creatures were quickly defeated, but not before one of the Elves had been bitten and partially covered in a movement restricting web. He was quickly removed from the sticky, mithril strong web, but remained paralysed.

Legolas suggested that they extract some spider venom and take it back to the Healer to enable him to develop an antidote, if required. The group hastily continued on to Thranduil’s Hall, with the injured Elf riding in front of Tathar who held him safely in place. The Healer was grateful for the quick thinking, and soon developed a potion to counteract the poison.

“I fear there will be more occasions on which your remedy will be needed,” said Thranduil sadly as he stood to leave after spending some time with the injured warrior.

“Ai, I have already thought of a way to make enough so that our patrols can carry a supply with them,” replied the Healer.  Thranduil nodded but made no comment as he left the chamber.

“I wish to speak to you two,” insisted Thranduil as found Legolas and Tathar standing morosely outside, waiting for news. His tone of voice sounded ominous, and neither of the younger Elves knew why, and looked very serious for a few moments before Legolas realised his Adar was merely teasing them. “Your friend will recover well, and I merely wish to tell you both how proud I am of your actions, both in seeking to confirm Haldir’s information, and in dealing with such an unexpected crisis. You are becoming mature, responsible adults,” said Thranduil, his voice filled with pride and affection.

“Thank you, your majesty, but if you will excuse me, this ‘mature, responsible adult’ must make his peace with his wife,” said Tathar with a pleased grin as he waved to Mirieth who was waiting for him across the clearing.

“Do you not wish you had a ladylove to ease your pain and welcome you home, Legolas?” asked Thranduil as they watched the affectionate reunion.

“In time, perhaps I will permit myself to be bound by the heart Adar, but I somehow feel as if I have a dangerous path ahead, and would not wish to cause unnecessary heartache, to one I love,” replied Legolas suddenly certain that was exactly what he was destined to do.

 “Maybe you will, but know that my heart is already breaking for I feel as if the very air in Greenwood is growing heavy and clouded with evil, it is surely becoming more like a Mirkwood,” Thranduil said sadly as he drew his son into his arms, both giving and seeking comfort from the one he held so dear.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List