Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Immortal Friends  by jenolas

Part 13:  Don’t Fade Away

“Elladan! Behind you!” shouted Elrohir as he chased his quarry past where his brother was busy fighting several of the evil creatures that were quickly taken care of and, in a blink of an eye Elladan turned and faced the orc who was wielding his sword to deliver what would in all likelihood have been a fatal blow. He dispatched him before he could strike, and then followed Elrohir, who was still chasing the remnants of the band of orcs they had been hunting for several days.

“They are headed towards Mirkwood!” called Elladan as he caught up with his brother.

“Ai, but they seem reluctant to enter this part of the forest, dark though it is,” observed Elrohir, as the orcs changed direction so that they were now skirting the edge of the forest.

“Well, they need not fear, for I intend to see they go neither into the forest, nor any further!” declared Elladan with a fierce hatred in his voice, matched only by that of Elrohir’s. Without another word, the brothers stopped their flight and nocked their bows, their skilled aim easily finding their targets as the remaining four orcs fell.

“Good riddance!” hissed Elladan as he checked to make sure the creatures would hunt no more.

“Shall we see why even these dark ones were wary of entering Thranduil’s forest?” asked Elrohir who had spotted the trees that formed the gateway to the Elf Path.

“I do not see why not, after all it is well past , and we need to rest before we make our way back. Perhaps we will find shelter among the trees,” agreed Elladan.

After they had walked for several hours, barely able to see with no starlight or moonlight penetrating the thick canopy, they were both wondering if the orcs had not had the right of it. Although neither could see the creatures that made the scuffling noises and other strange sounds they heard, they could see beady eyes in the trees that glowed an evil red in the blackness of night.

“Do you suppose they are the spiders Thranduil told us about?” asked Elladan, keeping his voice to a whisper so as not to attract any more unwanted attention.

“Why not ask them?” suggested Elrohir smiling with nervous amusement as even in the darkness he could see his brother’s glare of disbelief. “Did Thranduil not say they could speak?”

“I have no intention of finding out, Elrohir, and neither do you,” declared the elder of the two sternly, knowing this was no time for his brother to indulge his curiosity. “At least they seem afraid to venture onto the path, so let us simply follow it until we reach a less unwholesome part of the forest.”

They were both relieved when they finally reached the inky black waters of the Enchanted River, and were met by several of the Wood Elves who protected this part of Mirkwood. The sons of Elrond introduced themselves, and as Thranduil had promised, were welcomed to the Woodland Realm. The guards offered them the shelter of their talan for the night, and an escort for the remaining distance to the King’s Halls.

Although they had not planned to stay, Elladan and Elrohir decided that it would be most impolite not to pay their respects to Thranduil, who was both pleased and surprised to see them arrive several days later.

“I have not heard from Elrond in quite some time. What brings you two here so unexpectedly?” he asked that evening as they enjoyed Tariel’s cooking and the King’s fine wine. The twins exchanged a look that was filled with pain and grief and when Elladan answered, his voice told of a deep heartache and much anger. Everyone at Thranduil’s table listened with compassion as they heard of the attack on Celebrían, of Elrond’s inability to ease her spirit and of her final journey to the Havens.

“We intend to rid Middle-earth of as many of those creatures as possible,” vowed Elrohir vehemently.

“And well we understand your need for vengeance,” said Tathar speaking with his own grief, as Elladan’s tale reopened the wound in his heart.

“It is indeed grave news, and it fills my heart with sadness to hear that your lovely Naneth suffered so,” said Thranduil compassionately. “I must ask that you take a message of sympathy to Elrond for me when you return,” he added. Elladan nodded.

“We should also take any information you have regarding the threat from both the north and the south. What news do you hear?” he asked, ever the warrior.

 “It has been many a long year since the last Wood Elf died fighting orcs, for we have become far more cautious in our approach to dealing with the enemy, and we do not venture close to Dol Guldur since Saruman insisted that he and his Order would look to that threat. As you are undoubtedly aware, there is an ever increasing number of orcs and other creatures in the caves under the Misty Mountains, and those untrustworthy Dwarves are scaring the men of Dale and Laketown with talk of wolves and bats assembling in the north.,” added Thranduil, his dislike for the dwellers in the Iron Hills more than apparent.

 “Mirkwood is constantly under threat, and many have heard reports from Lothlórien that orcs often attempt to invade the Golden Wood. Now it seems even Imladris is being touched by the shadow that stretches ever longer as the darkness falls,” commented Legolas sadly.

“According to Adar, the shadow is likely to threaten the whole of Middle-earth in the future,” added Elrohir.

“We will not allow darkness to prevail in Mirkwood, or anywhere else,” said Thranduil confidently. “How long before you must return home?” he asked Elladan, hoping to change the melancholy mood of the conversation to something a little less serious. Elladan did not disappoint as he leaned closer to Thranduil, and whispered loud enough for everyone to hear.

“We must remain for at least as long as it takes Elrohir to see a spider, for he is most curious about a creature that even orcs avoid.”

“And with good reason, for they are cruel and dangerous,” warned Tathar.

“Ai, but they are also clever and a great challenge to hunt,” added Legolas, smiling at Tathar who nodded his agreement. It was a pastime he and Legolas had often enjoyed before they assumed their responsibilities as patrol leaders, made even more exciting by the fact that they were usually doing so without permission.  

“We like nothing better than a challenge, do we brother?” Elladan asked Elrohir.

“Indeed not. May we hunt some spiders?” Elrohir asked Thranduil politely.

“Tathar speaks the truth when he says they are dangerous and I do not approve of merely hunting the spiders for pleasure. To do so is to take unnecessary risks,” said Thranduil staring pointedly at both Legolas and Tathar, who cringed as they realised their escapades were well known to the King. Thranduil merely raised an eyebrow in affirmation of their fears, and smiled inwardly as all four of the younger Elves could not hide their disappointment at the prospect of their plans being so short-lived. It was disappointment that quickly turned to elation when he continued.

“However, I have had reports of a small lair that has been found far too close to the Path for my liking, and I would see it removed. Since you are all now well proven warriors, and it would serve the sons of Elrond well to learn about any other dangers they may face besides orcs, I will allow you to undertake such a hunt on this occasion.”

All spoke at once offering their thanks and assurances that they would be careful, and sounding very much like a group of excited children, Thranduil thought with amusement. Legolas wisely insisted they ask for an extra supply of antidote, and Elladan became very interested in spider venom and how to counter it. He eagerly accepted Legolas’s offer to accompany him to speak with the Healer.

                                                            *********

“We saw no spiders on our way here. How long will it take to reach the lair?” asked Elrohir after they had been travelling most of the day and at Legolas’s insistence had made camp for the night.

“I expect to be there by mid afternoon tomorrow, and although you did not see them, you can be certain they saw you, as they do even now. Both Tathar and I can feel them,” replied Legolas, smiling as both Elladan and Elrohir, who sensed nothing out of the ordinary looked about nervously. Elladan had told his brother of the effect of the venom, and neither wanted to feel it first hand. “The lair we are seeking is still some distance back in the trees, but the spiders are becoming more daring, and although the Elf Path itself is protected by enchantment, the forest is not and the creatures cannot be allowed to move closer.”

“A sound defensive strategy,” said Elladan.

“Speaking of defence, since Tathar and I are both well aware of the dangers in Mirkwood, Elladan and I will take first watch, Tathar and Elrohir the second,” Legolas suggested to the others who all agreed it was a good plan. By the time the two watchers had scouted the area and confirmed it safe, Elrohir and Tathar were both fully lost in their dreams.

“I did not see Tathar’s wife at the evening meal last night, or at breakfast. Is she well?” asked Elladan with friendly concern as they settled by the small campfire.

“Nay, Mirieth is not herself, and has not been ever since Faelas passed to the Halls of Waiting. She can barely manage her daily tasks, and has no heart for social gatherings or for attending meals. Last night as always, she was abed, being watched over by Tariel. Tathar usually remains with her, but she insisted he do his duty to our guests,” he explained.

“Then why is he with us now?” asked Elladan.

“Mirieth has no objection to him going on missions, for she does not wish anyone to suffer her loss and it in some way appeases Tathar to know he is defending his people,” Legolas told him.

“Avenging his son’s death, you mean,” replied Elladan who knew the feeling all too well.

“Ai that is also his motivation, as it is mine,” agreed Legolas with the same hardness in his eyes as was to be seen in Elladan’s and Elrohir’s when they spoke of orcs.

“I do not mean to upset you, but it sounds to me as if Mirieth is fading with grief,” said Elladan gently.

“So the Healer and Tariel believe,” admitted Legolas.

“Then would it not be best for her to do as Naneth did and seek the peace and healing of Valinor?”

“That is a question only she can answer,” said Legolas, fearing he knew what her reply would be, and how devastated Tathar would be to hear it.

“So have you seen Mithrandir of late?” asked Elladan, sensing it was time to change the subject. Legolas shook his head. “He was in Imladris not long ago, and told us tales of many strange lands he had visited. Would you like to hear them?”

“Ai, I would. I do not think I will ever have the chance travel much further than Imladris, or perhaps Lothlórien and I would be interested to hear what the wizard has seen,” replied Legolas wistfully. The rest of the watch passed pleasantly as he listened to Elladan, who was an exceptional storyteller, and when his watch was over his dreams were filled with images of sprawling grasslands and cities of Men.

                                                ********

As he had estimated, it was the middle of the afternoon when the hunters at last spotted the silvery threads that indicated spiders were close by. They warily left the path, keeping their eyes fixed on the upper branches of the tees as they moved further into the forest.

“Ah, pretty, stupid Elves, looking for usss,” hissed an evil voice from the branches above Elrohir, startling both he and his brother.

“They do talk,” he whispered his eyes alight with fascination as he stared into a pair of eyes that glowed like red coals in a fire.

“We like to talk, but we like Elvesss, living, ssssquirming Elvesss, for our ssssupper much better,” hissed the voice again, moving closer and seeming to mesmerise Elrohir.

A sharply called, “Elrohir!” from Legolas roused him and like the others had already done, he quickly nocked his bow, aiming directly between the eyes of the approaching spider. From the corner of his eye, he saw Legolas nod, and in less than a heart beat all four loosed their arrows, many times until all the spiders lay unmoving on the forest floor.

“Come, we must make sure there are no prisoners, and no youngling spiders in the lairs,” said Legolas as he nimbly climbed the tree where the largest web was built. The others followed and to their relief, there were no captives, either dead or alive.

“I have had my fill of spiders,” said Elrohir as he gingerly examined the one who had almost captured him.

“Had we not been here, that one would have had its fill of you,” teased Elladan, placing an affectionate arm around his brother’s shoulders to show he was pleased it was not the case.

Thranduil was both happy with their success, and relieved that none would require the Healer’s services, and offered them all a goblet of wine as they sat in his study and related their adventure.

“I must go and see Mirieth,” said Tathar quickly drinking his wine as soon as the report had been made.

“May I come with you?” asked Elladan. “I have had more recent experience with one whose spirit is in need of healing, perhaps I can be of assistance,” he said, not needing to explain further. The sorrow and grief he and Elrohir still felt at the loss of their Naneth was apparent to all.

“Thank you, any help would be most welcome,” replied Tathar with a sad smile.

“What was that all about, Legolas?” asked Thranduil after they had left. Legolas quickly recounted his conversation with Elladan, and Elrohir nodded in understanding.

“He is going to offer to take Mirieth to the Havens so that she can sail West and heal properly,” he told Thranduil.

“It is an excellent plan. I do not wish to see the young one fade, as she certainly will if she remains here, and I know Elisiel will care for her until Tathar comes to her,” said Thranduil, smiling affectionately at the thought of his wife, and knowing in his heart that she was at peace.

                                                   *******

“Greetings, Mirieth. My name is Elladan,” he said as he sat beside the pale young woman and took her hand.

“You are one of Lord Elrond’s sons. I have heard much of you from Tathar,” she said weakly. “He says you are learning to be a Healer like your Adar.”

“Ai and I grieve with you for your loss, and can tell you that there is only one cure for your broken heart,” he said gently.

“Do not suggest another child. I will not allow another to be born into this evil world,” she said, finding the strength to speak with vehemence.

“Nay, I do not suggest that, for I agree with what you say. However, you are fading, as I am certain your own Healer has already told you, just as he has told you of the cure,” he said with sudden insight.

“I cannot do that to Tathar,” she whispered through her tears of relief that someone else understood her plight. “I cannot leave him alone.”

“If you stay here and fade with grief, you WILL leave him alone, but if you travel to the Undying Lands where he can either go with you, or join you later, you will be healed. Surely the choice is simple,” said Elladan who gave Tathar a meaningful look and silently left the two alone.

“Indeed it is. Mirieth, you do not need my words to tell you how much I love you, you can hear it in our song. Please, I beg you to go, to become well again,” said Tathar as he sat beside his wife and held her in his arms.

“Ai, our song is as beautiful as ever, my love. Will you not come too?” she asked, knowing in her heart he would refuse.

“I will travel to the Havens with you, but I will return to see Mirkwood free of the shadow. It is my duty; to my friend and to the King, but most importantly it is what Faelas would expect of me,” he whispered kissing her tenderly.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List