Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Immortal Friends  by jenolas

Part 14:  A Small Celebration

Legolas wiped his knife clean on the grass beside the body of the orc he had just killed and glanced quickly around, allowing himself a small sigh of relief  after he had accounted for the members of his patrol. All were very much alive, although no doubt sporting bruises and minor cuts from the battle, just as he did, but it was a small price to pay. This had been a particularly large band of orcs, considerably more in number than the Mirkwood patrol, and the Elves had spent the last few nights silently tracking them, picking them off one by one until the remaining orcs had finally stood their ground.

“It seems these ones were not using poisoned blades, I feel no ill effects,” commented Eilian, Legolas’s second in command as he wrapped a cloth about the rather large gash on his forearm.

“A fortunate occurrence indeed, but we will need time to heal and renew our strength nonetheless,” replied Legolas as the others gathered around their leaders waiting for further instructions. “We should scout for a place to rest and tend our wounds.”

“As I was chasing my foe, I noticed a small stream running through a glade back there,” suggested on of the warriors, indicating the general direction he meant with a slight incline of his head. Legolas and Eilian exchanged a glance and wordlessly agreed that it was as safe a place as any to spend the daylight hours.

Anor had already risen high in the sky, filling the glade with warm sunlight, making this the safest time of day for the Elves to rest, for orcs did not venture into the light. Not willing to rely totally on such knowledge, nor on the fact that he could sense no danger nearby, Legolas insisted on standing watch, singing softly to himself while the glade soon echoed with the sound of much splashing, and occasional laughter as the weary, blood covered Elves took advantage of the cool waters. One by one, his friends gradually finished their bathing and settled beneath the shade of the trees to rest or talk quietly amongst themselves.

“I will take the watch, it is your turn to bathe!” ordered Eilian as he walked up to Legolas, bow in hand and shaking the last droplets of water from his long, glistening hair. The water looked so inviting, and the thought of being clean after many days of fighting was so appealing that Legolas needed no further encouragement, and was soon fully immersed in the refreshing coolness. He swam a few strokes, and then turned and floated lazily on his back allowing the slow moving current to carry him where it willed, closing his eyes against the brightness of the noonday sun. To those on the shore he appeared so relaxed that Eilian could not resist interrupting his peace.

“Legolas! Do not fall asleep in the water,” he called out in jest. “I do not want to have to explain to the King how his son, who has survived many a battle with orcs, allowed himself to drown!”

“I am not asleep yet, but I certainly feel the need to rest,” laughed Legolas as he swam to the shore. Like the others, he dressed only in his leggings, and then found a comfortable looking patch of grass beneath one of the trees where he lay quietly and allowed his thoughts to wander back over the events of the last few months.

“Mirieth has decided to seek healing in the Undying Lands,” Tathar told Legolas as they walked beneath the trees. “Elladan and Elrohir have offered to act as our escort to the Havens,” he said raising a hand to silence the offer he knew Legolas was about to make. “I will not ask you to make the journey with us, for although I know you want to, I will not allow you to cause your Adar any unnecessary grief. We both know his feelings about the sea, and the danger he feels it is to you.”

“I cannot argue with your reasoning, and will abide by your and Adar’s wishes. Tell me honestly, are you planning to sail with your wife, mellon nin?” asked Legolas suddenly suspecting that might be the case.

“Nay, Mirieth understands that I must return to Mirkwood to honour our pact… as Faelas would want me to,” replied Tathar smiling affectionately at his friend. Legolas returned the smile and was not surprised to see that Tathar still held his anger and grief close to the surface, as was still very much apparent in the coldness of his eyes.

“I thought that would be your choice, so I have spoken to Adar and convinced him to allow you and your warriors to patrol the area near the remaining villages when you return home. There are only a few scattered settlements of Men, but they need protection and it is a task I thought you would willingly undertake,” he added. Thranduil had readily agreed with Legolas that Tathar needed to be back out on patrol rather than leading the King’s Guard. There were plenty of other equally fearsome and skilled warriors, all of whom Thranduil held in great respect, who were eager to have the honour of protecting their beloved King,

“You know me so well, and had you not already made such a request, I would certainly have done so. There are far too many orcs and spiders alive for my peace of mind, and I would be willing to defend the villagers. Thank you for speaking on my behalf,” Tathar said affectionately as he placed his arm around Legolas’s shoulder and drew him close.

“You are my friend, and I care for you deeply. I will be here should you need me on your return,” said Legolas, sealing his promise by placing a brotherly kiss on Tathar’s cheek.

“Can I have one of those before I leave?” asked Mirieth, sounding for a moment like her former, playful self. Legolas looked to Tathar who nodded his approval, and then walked to meet Mirieth.

“It would be my pleasure, my lady,” replied Legolas gallantly, as he took her in his arms and kissed her in a decidedly un-sibling like manner, almost causing Tathar to reconsider his decision. “Namárië, sweet Mirieth, may the Valar watch over you,” Legolas whispered with his eyes shining as bright with tears as hers had become.

“Namárië, dear Legolas. Have you a message for Elisiel?” she asked tenderly.

“She hears my song always, but there is something you can give her for me. This,” he answered, kissing Mirieth gently on the cheek again, this time imagining it was Elisiel he embraced.

“Naneth…”

Legolas slowly refocused his mind, unsure of whether he had uttered his last word aloud, and feeling as if there was something important hidden in the cloudy mists of his memory. 

“Are you awake, Legolas?” asked the concerned voice, not of Elisiel, but Sareth, the healer. Legolas nodded and sat up, finally fully aware of his surroundings, and he realised he must have slept for several hours, for twilight was now rapidly descending on the glade.

“So you have finally decided to join us?” Eilian asked light heartedly as Legolas and Sareth strolled over to the small campfire, looking extremely confused by the festive manner of his friends as they placed a garland of flowers on his head.

“What is the meaning of this?” he asked warily. It had been many a year since he had last been the victim of one of his patrol’s pranks, and he thought this was neither the time nor the place to engage in such frivolity.

“Do you not know what day this is?” asked Eilian, suddenly serious.

“Nay, and it is not jests I seek, but a bowl of that delicious stew,” replied Legolas haughtily as he reached over to stir the cooking pot, the better to smell the pleasing aroma. “Where did you find the vegetables?” he asked Sareth, who was also the cook.

“Tariel gave them to me, as well as these packs of pastries which I was told would be as fresh on this day as the day they were made,” he replied sounding extremely dubious. Legolas frowned as he wondered why Tariel had taken the trouble to bake for them, and Eilian decided to add to the mystery by producing a wineskin.

“Wine is not permitted on a scouting missions, as you well know,” declared Legolas sternly, asserting his authority and sounding very much the leader he was, rather than a friend.

“The King told me to tell you that it is by HIS royal command that the rule is to be ignored on this day, for he will not allow his son’s begetting day to pass without the celebration it is due,” said Eilian, repeating the message Thranduil had him commit to memory. “And your Adar asked me to give you this, with his warmest wishes that you enjoy your begetting day,” added Eilian as he handed Legolas the wine.

“I completely forgot about it,” admitted Legolas, highly embarrassed at not remembering his own special day. There were several smiles at his discomfort, but none made light of the reasons he had likely forgotten.

“You have had much to occupy your thoughts over the past few days, it is no wonder you did not remember,” said Eilian. “It may ease your mind to know that had not King Thranduil and Tariel, reminded us before we left for this mission, it is likely that none of us would have remembered either.”

“Then since Adar was so thoughtful, and has allowed you to convey such a gift, it would be a shame not to enjoy it...  as he commanded,” said Legolas with a wicked grin. To everyone’s delight, Tariel’s pastries tasted as if she had baked them that morning.

“Tariel is obviously possessed of more skills than we are aware,” commented Legolas as he accepted the last blueberry tart from Sareth.

“Ai, perhaps one day she will teach me how to cook like that,” he mused.

“We would all benefit greatly if she did,” teased Eilian, causing the others to laugh merrily.

“Since there are no musicians, and no fair maids to dance with, I think we should raise our voices in song to celebrate this occasion,” said one of the other warriors when the mirth had subsided.

“Indeed we shall, but I think it wise if we do not raise our voices too loudly, we are not safely back in Mirkwood,” warned Eilian. They sang softly into the night, and as Legolas added his sweet voice to the chorus, Eärendil seemed to shine a little more brightly as he sailed across the sky.

                                                             ******

Several months passed before Legolas and his patrol returned to Mirkwood, barely a day before Tathar returned from the Havens. Legolas greeted him warmly, and after he had delivered Elrond’s message to Thranduil, the two escaped to the privacy of Legolas’s chamber where he insisted Tathar tell him all that had happened on his journey.

“The journey to Imladris was uneventful, unless you count the fact that Mirieth was shamelessly flirting with Elrond’s sons. It was really very entertaining, for Mirieth easily matched wits with those two,” he added proudly.

“I suspect they were simply trying to lift her spirits, in their own fashion,” said Legolas good naturedly seeing the best in others.

“Ai, so I quickly realised, and it worked well. I am grateful that they were so concerned. Anyway, once we reached Imladris, their behaviour improved markedly. Lord Elrond was a most gracious host, and spent some time with Mirieth, easing her fears of the journey ahead despite his own pain at bearing such a loss. He was comforted by the letter the King sent him, and was even heard laughing at something your Adar had written,” he told Legolas.

“That is not surprising, since Adar usually knows exactly the right thing to say, and he and Lord Elrond have been friends a long time,” explained Legolas, briefly wondering if he dared ask Thranduil what was so amusing and deciding against the invasion of his Adar’s privacy. “Please continue.”

“We stayed there for two days, and then continued on to the Havens with some others who were also sailing West. Many are finally answering the call and Lord Elrond hinted that our time in Middle-earth is fading,” he said sadly.

“Really? I do not wish to leave before the shadow is finally defeated, nor will I!” declared Legolas, his voice softening as his curiosity rose to the fore. “But tell me, what was the sea like?”

“Frighteningly beautiful. There was water as far as the eye could see, with waves pounding the sandy shores endlessly, and the air was so laden with salt that you could taste it. Cirdan’s ship was so elegantly crafted, almost like a work of art, and for a moment I was tempted to sail with Mirieth,” replied Tathar wistfully.

“What stopped you?” asked Legolas.

“This strange old man, who was standing beside me as the ship disappeared into the fog. He told me that the gulls would see her safely to the Undying Lands, but it was not my time to leave,” replied Tathar. “He vanished mysteriously before I had a chance to enquire further, and when I asked Círdan who he was, all he told me was that he was an old man who loved the sea and comforted those left behind.”

“It sounds like Círdan answers questions as enigmatically as Mithrandir,” commented Legolas dryly.

“Ai, so Elladan and Elrohir warned me, but Legolas, he also knows so many interesting tales. And he spent many hours telling them to us, each one equally fascinating and look, he even gave me the plans of one of his smaller ships,” said Tathar excitedly as he unrolled the small scroll he had been carrying in his belt pouch.  “It is a simple enough design, perhaps one day we should try and build such a ship,” he suggested.

“Ai, perhaps we will,” agreed Legolas, suddenly feeling a tingle of anticipation at the prospect and wondering why.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List